Halloween, Danger & Z | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Halloween, Danger & Z

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why will the Core Four + Dangerfield "be even better this year" than the Core Four + Chong was last season? Saniya shot 47% from the floor while Crystal shot 40%; Saniya shot 40% on treys while Crystal shot 32%; Saniya shot 81% from the free throw line while Crystal shot 59%. It's still basketball which means you have to be able to put the ball in the basket. What about ball handling? Saniya had an assist-to-turnover ratio of 3.3 to Crystal's 2.1 last season.

Sure, Crystal may make a "sophomore leap" but it takes a leap of faith to think she'll equal Saniya's senior numbers as just a sophomore.
Players are not static, particularly at UConn where continuous player development is a given. My expectation is that Gabby, Kia, Lou & Pheesa will all be better than they were a year ago. If Danger is simply close to the player Saniya was last year then the starting 5 will be considerably better than a season ago.

Reaction Score
Based on the early reports of CD's progress, I'd like to see her start. Unless there is a better option in the freshman class, our team could and probably should be run by CD for three years. She plays a very up tempo game and will lead the great group of athletes we have on both the fast break and pressure defense. The prospects are exciting. Her quickness, IMO, is better suited for the up tempo game than Kia's. CD is quick enough to split zones and dish or beat her defender off the dribble and dish or drive. Simply put, she can do those things slightly better than Kia and that will help us find the game speed that will be a huge competitive advantage. We will wear down everyone.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Players are not static, particularly at UConn where continuous player development is a given. My expectation is that Gabby, Kia, Lou & Pheesa will all be better than they were a year ago. If Danger is simply close to the player Saniya was last year then the starting 5 will be considerably better than a season ago.

With respect to Dangerous v. Saniya, you're being kind oldude. I fully expect Crystal to be better than Chong was last year. IMHO, the two areas that Saniya had an advantage over Dangerfield were experience and decision making, for obvious reasons. Crystal had a better handle, better court vision and was a wee bit quicker.

I believe it was reported here in the yard that during practice, Chong could outrun Jefferson in drills baseline to baseline. I think there may have been some video provided to that effect. I did not see it, and I would have to BEFORE I believed it. Mo was so quick (like Cool Papa Bell), she could turn out the lights, and be in the bed before the room got dark. :D As good as Chong was/is, I saw Crystal do some things last season that Saniya will never be able to do. :cool:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With respect to Dangerous v. Saniya, you're being kind oldude. I fully expect Crystal to be better than Chong was last year.
So do I, but I was trying to make the point that even if Danger and Saniya are a wash talent wise, the other 4 starters will be so much better with last year under their belt that the starting 5 alone will be greatly superior to last season, not even taking into account all of the talent sitting on the bench.

Reaction Score
You raise a good point. Last year, playing a small team that worked together beautifully, the Huskies were 36-1, one basket short of the national championship.

Arguably the Core 4 + Danger will be even better this year, so why mess with something that works?

I could argue that while it may take longer for Z to mesh with the Core 4, once she does UConn will create tremendous matchup problems for opposing teams. Imagine a 6’6” Center who can pull opposing centers out to the 3-pt line, Gabby dominating opposing wings instead of playing the post, Lou posting up helpless 2 guards with Danger coming off the bench to speed everything up and blow the game open.

Whatever happens it sure is going to be fun to watch.

There was no Core 4 plus Dangerfield last year. There was Saniya Chong + Core 4 minus Dangerfield. I haven't read much this off season about how important Saniya became last year. She saved several games, sometimes dramatically. Logically then you'd have to say that the best replacement for Chong this year is Crystal. Except that Saniya was a far better shooter and defender. She also learned to be dependable with the ball. Dangerfield still has to prove she possesses those qualities. And no 6'6" player with Z's qualities is going to be sitting while Crystal sorts things out.

Reaction Score
If Azura had a waiver last year, IMO, she would have started before Saniya!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom