Hall / Johnnies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hall / Johnnies

Rasputin

The Mad Monk
Reaction Score
Would be good to see Pitino on a national stage against UConn. Pitino is a Top 10 coach all-time - masterful how his speech turned SJ's season around.
No question that he is a great coach. However, that rant against his players was low class. Maybe that helped turn them around and maybe he just got lucky that they started playing well afterwards. Either way, there has to be a better way to inspire your team. He is a jerk and if I was a player, I would not want to play for him. I would much rather have someone like Hurley who you know has your back.

Reaction Score
St John’s looks like better coached team. Seton Hall pretty sloppy and poor shot selection.

Reaction Score
Want to win of course but not concerned if we lose this game tomorrow, it rationalizing I know but just ask Marquette about that. Hurley has this as the team goal, billboard and all but 2 seconds after the BE champion is crowned it is forgotten as the tourney and the path comes into view Sunday night.
They play street ball and are tough so the refs will have a lot to say, the SJ fans are obnoxious and there will be clashes.

Reaction Score
Whenever UConn and St. John’s play at MSG I think back to 1974, during my freshman year. UConn had a very good team that year and made the NIT, which was a big deal back then. That team had John Thomas, Earl Wilson, Tony Hanson, Jimmy Foster and Al Weston among others. My dorm chartered a bus and we went to the game. We drew St. Johns and had a fairly healthy lead into the second half, but St. Johns came back. Some guy named Paul Berwanger scored late and we lost. A bummer bus ride back to Storrs but still a great memory.

Reaction Score
They've now won 6 in a row, including vs. Creighton, while scoring 80+ every game.

We are a load too, but St. John's is hot, confident, and comfortable in this building. They are not going to be a pushover.
I don’t think most of us thought winning the BET was going to be easy.

Reaction Score
I don’t think most of us thought winning the BET was going to be easy.
And it's still better than having to play Creighton or Marquette, and then the other in the finals. I mean, c'mon.....we have to play somebody

Reaction Score
And it's still better than having to play Creighton or Marquette, and then the other in the finals. I mean, c'mon.....we have to play somebody
St. John's looks like, at worst, the 3rd best team in the field right now.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Whenever UConn and St. John’s play at MSG I think back to 1974, during my freshman year. UConn had a very good team that year and made the NIT, which was a big deal back then. That team had John Thomas, Earl Wilson, Tony Hanson, Jimmy Foster and Al Weston among others. My dorm chartered a bus and we went to the game. We drew St. Johns and had a fairly healthy lead into the second half, but St. Johns came back. Some guy named Paul Berwanger scored late and we lost. A bummer bus ride back to Storrs but still a great memory.
I was on one of those buses, I was a freshman too! That was a great team and the NIT was still a big deal back then. Off topic slightly, my girlfried lent JT a paper for Kiddie Lit.

Reaction Score
They've now won 6 in a row, including vs. Creighton, while scoring 80+ every game.

We are a load too, but St. John's is hot, confident, and comfortable in this building. They are not going to be a pushover.
“Comfortable in this building”

Lmfaoo

You mean the building we’ve won just as many games in this year.

Relax. They’re ok. They’re a bubble team and we need to treat them as such. Kick their a**

Reaction Score
I was on one of those buses, I was a freshman too! That was a great team and the NIT was still a big deal back then. Off topic slightly, my girlfried lent JT a paper for Kiddie Lit.
Drumguy were you in the marching band? Where did you live on campus? I lived in South Campus, Crandall B.

Reaction Score
St. John's looks like, at worst, the 3rd best team in the field right now.
And we are BY FAR the best.....sooooo what exactly is your point? We are in the semi-finals. We should expect to be playing a good team.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I don't want a pushover.

Before the game I want to hear talking heads/opposing fan bases/haters saying "this team is good, they should be able to beat UConn" and afterwards saying "yeah, they blew out a lousy team, wait until they have to face someone good".

Reaction Score
UConn v SJU and Creighton v Marquette/Nova is a glamorous BET semifinal. cant wait.
I honestly like Nova against Marquette. They match up well, Nova is experienced and has more on the line. With Kolek's injury, it seems like Marquette is playing more for the NCAA's.

Reaction Score
No question that he is a great coach. However, that rant against his players was low class. Maybe that helped turn them around and maybe he just got lucky that they started playing well afterwards. Either way, there has to be a better way to inspire your team. He is a jerk and if I was a player, I would not want to play for him. I would much rather have someone like Hurley who you know has your back.
Playing GTown twice, DePaul and Butler in that stretch will make a lot of coaches look like a motivational genius.

Reaction Score
Question is, will this be considered a road game for UConn? Probably not. May well make a difference in the final metric ratings, including the NET.

Reaction Score
They need to get Clingan in foul trouble or they have no chance. You can't surrender the interior paint & settle for mid and perimeter shots if you are SJU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom