OT: - Half-court trap plays | The Boneyard

OT: Half-court trap plays

Reaction Score
Year 7 for me coaching 5/6 boys' basketball at the school where I teach middle school math.

My team this year is 85% 5th graders and the least amount of skill have coached so far. One very good 6th grade point guard/shooter, a short, poor-conditioned 5th grader who has a nice shot and a raw 5th grade forward who is a basketball nut, but just started playing organized ball. Aside from that, a good group of kids with no basketball experience and much less grit/physicality than what I'm used to. I'm used to low skill teams, but not low grit teams.

Here's where I need help:

We played our first game of the season against a Catholic school where they only rostered 6 kids and 5 of them play for the teams travel CYO team. We can't press in our league, so almost every possession they'd trap my only good ball-handler at half-court and they'd force a turnover half the time.

Considering the "greenness" of my team and the wealth of basketball coaches on this site, any simple plays I can teach a group of inexperienced 5th graders aside from having a wing ball-screen at half-court and then simply run my motion offense? We run a simple motion offensive that you'd teach 10 year olds with two wings, a foul line guys and a baseline runner.

Thanks!

~ Joe

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Run the weave.

if there’s no press I assume there’s no 10 second call? Run a stack play as if your coming out of bounds when you get up to half court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32
Top Bottom