Hailey Von Lith | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hailey Von Lith

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not sure what you mean? Think back to some of OSU guards...Syd Weise comes to mind. Have you watched Mikayla Pivec (complete player that is tough as nails), Destiny Slocum? Again, not sure what you mean exactly?

Hardly an expert on either team. My blurry sense was that OSU is a more methodical pass first (reverse the ball) offense with outside shooting and a good post game from their gigs while Baylor is generally more down hill get to the foul line first or when that fails did the Cox / Brown 2 step. Maybe I am wrong and acting on some underlying biases built on small sample size

Slocum is definitely an excellent penetrator who can push the tempo but I think she is actually good in the pick and roll and has impressed me as a player who can do both. Weise in my mind was more of a perimeter player who could work inside and good on the elbow with her size giving her good advantages. Not sure of Pivec since I cant seem to get a clear picture of her in my mind.

I never intended to imply on team displays more toughness than another.

Reaction Score
Hardly an expert on either team. My blurry sense was that OSU is a more methodical pass first (reverse the ball) offense with outside shooting and a good post game from their gigs while Baylor is generally more down hill get to the foul line first or when that fails did the Cox / Brown 2 step. Maybe I am wrong and acting on some underlying biases built on small sample size

Slocum is definitely an excellent penetrator who can push the tempo but I think she is actually good in the pick and roll and has impressed me as a player who can do both. Weise in my mind was more of a perimeter player who could work inside and good on the elbow with her size giving her good advantages. Not sure of Pivec since I cant seem to get a clear picture of her in my mind.

I never intended to imply on team displays more toughness than another.
No worries @eebmg. Mikayla Pivec is strong going to the hoop, can hit the 3, and a terrific playmaker. And one heck of a defender. Pivec did the best job of anyone defending Sabrina all of last year (1v1). And, if you are not aware, Mikayla Pivec is one of the PAN AM Game players (5v5) this year.

Reaction Score
No worries @eebmg. Mikayla Pivec is strong going to the hoop, can hit the 3, and a terrific playmaker. And one heck of a defender. Pivec did the best job of anyone defending Sabrina all of last year (1v1). And, if you are not aware, Mikayla Pivec is one of the PAN AM Game players (5v5) this year.

ummm then I want to know what your definition is of good defense. She had combined 50 pts 12 asst 13 rbs. So I have to disagree with that statement.

Reaction Score
Rueck’s coaching style isn’t always appealing to the super high-level recruits, because it is a slower, but very efficient brand of basketball, while a lot of players prefer the pace of Graves/Geno/Kim etc.

Against some teams, they often perform very well, but against others, they can struggle.

Take a look at their two outing vs. Baylor. Baylor had much better, higher level talent, but Kim didn’t know how to defend them, and it resulted in two OSU wins.

It is usually pretty good against Oregon as well, I think they beat them 9 times in a row, and are 2-2 in the past two years.

It has struggled a lot against Louisville and Arizona St.

Reaction Score
Truth is, the princetonians are a cross between marsupials and troglodytes. Only
school I ever encountered that tried to cheat at cross country running. Now that Banghart has left, they have no redeeming virtues. :cool:
Bella Alarie is a redeeming feature and person.
As is Carla Berube, their new head coach.

Reaction Score
From my vantage point with no skin in the game, it seems that Hailey Van Lith style as a physical get to the line guard a better fit for Baylor and Coach Mulkey (as a pretty fierce PG) can do a pretty good job with her. Rueck's style may be a bit too low key for Hailey Van Lith.

When Weisner was a senior she was not only a shoot first pg but also liked to dribbler. Wiese was more of a passer. But both were the feature player, and Hailey Van Lith is made for that role. Rueck always seems to be willing to adapt to what he has.

Reaction Score
When Weisner was a senior she was not only a shoot first pg but also liked to dribbler. Wiese was more of a passer. But both were the featured player, and Hailey Van Lith is made for that role. Rueck always seems to be willing to adapt to what he has.
Back then Rueck did not have the level and depth of talent he has now. The last thing he needs now is a ball dominate volume shooter. A good point can either pass or score when necessary. A really good point knows when it is time to do either. Any scorer or volume shooter can go cold and then what? The points primary role is to keep every other player engaged in the offense. That's the real difference between a point who can score when necessary and a guard with physical skills but with the mindset of a 2 playing point.

That is the issue that Slocum was dealing with last season. She had to learn to become a real facilitator. Some players get assists and pass to teammates when their own shot does not open up. A real point looks for teammates first and will score when there is no other option. When you are a primary ball-handler, you have err on the side of facilitating or you'll destroy offensive flow.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hard to imagine but Williams will be gone when if Fudd arrives. I think Bueckers/Williams/Westbrook will be awesome and Bueckers-Fudd could be epic.

Only if Christyn leaves after her junior year. She's got three seasons left, Azzi has two in high school.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
When Weisner was a senior she was not only a shoot first pg but also liked to dribbler. Wiese was more of a passer. But both were the feature player, and Hailey Van Lith is made for that role. Rueck always seems to be willing to adapt to what he has.

Wiese was the PG when Weisner was a Sr. Jamie was a classic 2 guard/wing. Not sure I've ever heard of her referred to as a PG before. Wiese ran the point for 4 years, from the moment her career started.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It is usually pretty good against Oregon as well, I think they beat them 9 times in a row, and are 2-2 in the past two years.

It has struggled a lot against Louisville and Arizona St.

I think the win streak was actually 14 games in that series. Oregon was not very good for much of it, but still nice to own a series against your in-state rival like that. As you pointed out they have still split with them since Oregon has risen to national prominence.

ASU plays at an even more deliberate tempo than OSU does, so it's not a matter of not being able to keep up with the pace. ASU is just a tough, gritty team. Last few years have tilted in favor of ASU but before that I think Rueck's teams faired better against them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When Nika plays games with her extended family, this is what we have:

Reaction Score
ummm then I want to know what your definition is of good defense. She had combined 50 pts 12 asst 13 rbs. So I have to disagree with that statement.

LoTrader's defensive analysis above is accurate. Ionescu shot 21/49 (42.8%) from the field and 3/11 (27.2%) from distance during her two games against Oregon State in '18-'19. It took Ionescu 49 shots from the field to score her 50 combined points. OSU defended her well to the three-point line and forced her to drive. The Beavs also did a solid job of keeping Ionescu off the charity stripe in those two games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
LoTrader's defensive analysis above is accurate. Ionescu shot 21/49 (42.8%) from the field and 3/11 (27.2%) from distance during her two games against Oregon State in '18-'19. It took Ionescu 49 shots from the field to score her 50 combined points. OSU defended her well to the three-point line and forced her to drive. The Beavs also did a solid job of keeping Ionescu off the charity stripe in those two games.
The old adage, “You can’t stop (her). You can only hope to contain (her).” that has been invoked over the years to characterize efforts to defend great scorers is certainly appropriate when describing efforts to contain Ionescu. Holding her to 50 points on 49 shots, while splitting the season series with the Ducks probably qualifies as “containing” Ionescu.

Reaction Score
I was specifically calling out the game at OSU last year. Look at Sabrina's stats in that game. She hucked up a lot of shots, but made very few.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Maybe someone can fix the title to the correct spelling of her name?
Agree, she's a Van Lith, not a Von Lith. More Dutch than German. ;)

Even though we have plenty of guards, I'd still love to have her come to UCONN. I think she's got a lot of fire in her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom