Had to start Boyle in this game and here is why | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Had to start Boyle in this game and here is why

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Comparing Boyle to Cochran is asinine.

I'm not comparing them dolt. You are doing what others did and crowning a quarterback based on next to nothing.

Reaction Score
I'm not comparing them dolt. You are doing what others did and crowning a quarterback based on next to nothing.

So who is competing with Boyle for the QB job? You seem to know something nobody else does. Whoever it is you have in mind, he must be one heck of a player.

Seriously, give us the name(s)

The idea that Boyle will be our QB the next three years hardly seems controversial to me.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have no idea what's going to happen.

The kid looks like he has a lot of potential - but locking someone into the quarterback position for 3+ years is wildly premature - especially for a team with no coach.

You'd think people would learn - I mean there used to be people who had Cochran or Lagow locked into the job for seasons before they played a down...

On this board, every freshman is the program messiah, and almost every sophomore is a bust that has already been passed by a freshman. It happens on the basketball board too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So who is competing with Boyle for the QB job? You seem to know something nobody else does. Whoever it is you have in mind, he must be one heck of a player.

Seriously, give us the name(s)

The idea that Boyle will be our QB the next three years hardly seems controversial to me.

There is this process called recruiting. Through this process new players join the team every year.

There are events called injuries in which players get hurt, miss games and potentially have their ability damaged.

I don't need to be able to name a player - it's beyond stupid to assume a player who has played one game is going to be the starter for the next 40+ games.

Reaction Score
Boyle played because the coaching staff believes he gives the team and program the best near and long-term option to consistently win. Everything else on this thread is speculation.....

Kid could end up being very good. We'll see.....

Reaction Score
Boyle played because the coaching staff believes he gives the team and program the best near and long-term option to consistently win. Everything else on this thread is speculation.....

You are most likely correct with all the statements. Me personally, I still would have started whitmer

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Or Weist knows we will be lucky to win 2 games so he is starting the fan favorite at QB. Or Manuel is ordering him to start Boyle. Or......

Reaction Score
There is this process called recruiting. Through this process new players join the team every year.

There are events called injuries in which players get hurt, miss games and potentially have their ability damaged.

I don't need to be able to name a player - it's beyond stupid to assume a player who has played one game is going to be the starter for the next 40+ games.

Well obviously if someone gets injured (duh), I thought we were talking about talent. If we get somebody more talented then this kid then good for us, I just doubt it will happen so I expect Boyle to be the QB the next three years (barring injury, which I didn't think needed to be stated)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well obviously if someone gets injured (duh), I thought we were talking about talent. If we get somebody more talented then this kid then good for us, I just doubt it will happen so I expect Boyle to be the QB the next three years (barring injury, which I didn't think needed to be stated)

And people said the same thing about a half dozen quarterbacks here over the last decade and they have been wrong every time. You'd think people would learn it's not quite as simple as it's made out to be - yet here we are.

Reaction Score

unless you sit in on practices, or watched this kid a ton in high school. based on a 15 of 43 day, how can gauge any sort of "talent" for the next 3+ years?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Or Weist knows we will be lucky to win 2 games so he is starting the fan favorite at QB. Or Manuel is ordering him to start Boyle. Or......

Weist is coaching for the job - it's not all that difficult to understand his motivation....

Reaction Score
You are most likely correct with all the statements. Me personally, I still would have started whitmer

I would have also, but I can still understand going with Boyle and it might be the best longer-term option for the team and program. Tough call.

Reaction Score
I would have also, but I can still understand going with Boyle and it might be the best longer-term option for the team and program. Tough call.

a total "coaches decision" move. What I feel bad about is CW losing his starting job due to the 2 old bags running the show for the last 2+ years. I would have been curious to see him play at least 1 game, 1 half, hell 1 quarter under TJs system

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
a total "coaches decision" move. What I feel bad about is CW losing his starting job due to the 2 old bags running the show for the last 2+ years. I would have been curious to see him play at least 1 game, 1 half, hell 1 quarter under TJs system

I agree that Whitmer could have gotten a chance with the changes. The problem becomes that was a great spot to get Boyle in with the bye and a bad team at home.

Reaction Score
unless you sit in on practices, or watched this kid a ton in high school. based on a 15 of 43 day, how can gauge any sort of "talent" for the next 3+ years?

Arm strength? check (in spades)

Consistent spiral? check, throws a beautiful ball

Height? check

Mobility? a surprising check, very mobile which helped open up the running game a lot. Once the other team knows a QB can run they hesitate.

Pocket presence? check, consistently and effortlessly moved in the pocket to avoid the rush. Got the ball out before being hit. Very much like Zach with this skill.

Goes through a progression? check, consistently scanned the entire field and this will improve.

Accuracy? needs to get better but this was his first game, adrenaline and nerves come into play. This will improve with playing time which is why he needs to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom