Had to start Boyle in this game and here is why | The Boneyard

Had to start Boyle in this game and here is why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tim Boyle was one of the top QB recruits in the country coming out of high school for those who did not know. He almost signed with Florida and then with Oregon only to have both teams signed QBs before him. Lets say he settled for Uconn since he is a local kid. If we stuck with Whitmer this year and red shirted Boyle, Whitmer may be the QB next year as well being a senior. My thought there would be if Boyle did not see the field this year or next year, he would be transferring.

From what I saw yesterday, this kid has the tools to be an Orlovsky type QB. He is 6' 4", pretty big kid, can run the ball and has a rocket arm. Yes, he needs to work on his touch and some of his throws were high but think this kid can be special.

He will be our QB for the remainder of this year and the next 3 years and think you had to go to him now. Red shirting him this year may have meant that he would not be playing next year either and if so, think we would lose him.

Reaction Score
Tim Boyle was one of the top QB recruits in the country coming out of high school for those who did not know. He almost signed with Florida and then with Oregon only to have both teams signed QBs before him. Lets say he settled for Uconn since he is a local kid. If we stuck with Whitmer this year and red shirted Boyle, Whitmer may be the QB next year as well being a senior. My thought there would be if Boyle did not see the field this year or next year, he would be transferring.

From what I saw yesterday, this kid has the tools to be an Orlovsky type QB. He is 6' 4", pretty big kid, can run the ball and has a rocket arm. Yes, he needs to work on his touch and some of his throws were high but think this kid can be special.

He will be our QB for the remainder of this year and the next 3 years and think you had to go to him now. Red shirting him this year may have meant that he would not be playing next year either and if so, think we would lose him.

if by top qb's in the country you mean ranked 70th (scout.com) you would be correct. I think Boyle should play this year, but my issue was playing him yesterday

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My gut feeling (and this is only a gut feeling) is that Boyle was promised by P that he would not redshirt this season (unless Boyle chose to do so) in order to sign him. TJ, in an attempt to catch lightning in a bottle followed through on the plan to start Boyle at some point mid-year.

Reaction Score
My gut feeling (and this is only a gut feeling) is that Boyle was promised by P that he would not redshirt this season (unless Boyle chose to do so) in order to sign him. TJ, in an attempt to catch lightning in a bottle followed through on the plan to start Boyle at some point mid-year.

that was my thoughts as well, then word leaked to that kid from texas......

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
that was my thoughts as well, then word leaked to that kid from texas......

I believe the entire reason Boyle began summer practice ahead of Lagow (even Des stated that while Boyle should have a higher upside, Lagow was more polished at the time) was because P had to put Boyle ahead of Lagow from the start of camp (due to the promise of no redshirt).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Agreed about the redshirt promise. Here's another reason to play Boyle: if Boyle shows off his potential this year, it makes the UCONN head coaching job more attractive to potential candidates. We might not win more than 2 games and without putting something of substance on film from Boyle to future candidates, not many would come and coach here without being seriously paid. Our head coach vacancy would suddenly look pretty good to top coordinators and promising coaches of smaller programs around the country if we can show them that we have a 6'4" QB with a rocket arm who will only be a SO but already has a good grasp of college ball. Let's face it, as long as we are in the AAC, we are a stepping stone job. If an ambitious up and comer can make a go of it with Boyle at QB and our young talent throughout the two-deep, it's a good chance that they'll get noticed by other top programs.

Reaction Score
HD45 - I00% agree and those nay sayers (you know who you are) are just being negative for the sake of being negative. TB looked Like a frosh but a VERY talented frosh. And IMO and with all due respects to Chandler, TB looked better than Chandler. He didn't stare down his receivers and showed the ability to get 1st downs via running. TB gives us the best chance to win a couple of games and we definitely need a couple of W's. This program is at a critical juncture right how. Will we progress or will we fall into,perpetual mediocrity like Indiana, Rice, etc. TB will help get back on the rightntrack

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's humorous that in like 3 places the past day the idea that Boyle is the quarterback for the next three years has been stated like it's a done deal.

Reaction Score
It's humorous that in like 3 places the past day the idea that Boyle is the quarterback for the next three years has been stated like it's a done deal.

Do you have an opinion on what's likely to happen or is it totally irresponsible to even speculate? I agree that nobody knows but I think you can form an opinion.

Reaction Score
TJ was coming in with one shot at a turnaround. You don't win with a bad team when your QB throws 2 picks a game. I don't think there is anything more to it than that.

The real mystery is how GDL managed to stay employed in this game when he appears to be completely inept.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The real mystery is how GDL managed to stay employed in this game when he appears to be completely inept.

Makes you really wonder why PP is tied to his hip. If he had kept Foley as OL coach and had a different OC all of these years, he might have found more success. It appears that DeLeone is to Pasqualoni as Cheney was to Bush.

Reaction Score
My gut feeling (and this is only a gut feeling) is that Boyle was promised by P that he would not redshirt this season (unless Boyle chose to do so) in order to sign him.

I don't know about that, but hell man - if you are going there, go all in! McHugh (Xavier FB founding father and Coach for 20 years) told PP he was taking TB after the BC issue and playing him this year. :)

FWIW - I support TB playing this year and he earned the shot.

Dooley

Reaction Score

Are you a Taylor guy? My statements are based upon who is on the roster right now and I'm not taking into account any potential recruits or transfers that our new coach brings in. But I think we can all agree that Boyle has more promise than Cochran or Whitmer for 2014 and beyond, right?

That said, I wouldn't mind throwing Taylor out there to see what he can do too. Maybe find a dual-QB system to give Boyle 2/3 of the reps and Taylor the rest. We're burning redshirts in 2013 baby! Call it a bonfire!

Reaction Score
Are you a Taylor guy? My statements are based upon who is on the roster right now and I'm not taking into account any potential recruits or transfers that our new coach brings in. But I think we can all agree that Boyle has more promise than Cochran or Whitmer for 2014 and beyond, right?

That said, I wouldn't mind throwing Taylor out there to see what he can do too. Maybe find a dual-QB system to give Boyle 2/3 of the reps and Taylor the rest. We're burning redshirts in 2013 baby! Call it a bonfire!

I still think Cochran will end up at Yale next year.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I don't know about that, but hell man - if you are going there, go all in! McHugh (Xavier FB founding father and Coach for 20 years) told PP he was taking TB after the BC issue and playing him this year. :)

FWIW - I support TB playing this year and he earned the shot.

I won't get into any conspiracy theories and I can only speculate on which P recruits were not redshirted due to recruiting promises but I do know that this happens more often than many here realize and even happened with a couple of RE recruits, a few who should be obvious and a couple that are in fact surprising). Sometimes this (the promise of the redshirt being the players decision, not the coach's) is necessary to bring a kid in.

Reaction Score
I won't get into any conspiracy theories and I can only speculate on which P recruits were not redshirted due to recruiting promises but I do know that this happens more often than many here realize and even happened with a couple of RE recruits, a few who should be obvious and a couple that are in fact surprising). Sometimes this (the promise of the redshirt being the players decision, not the coach's) is necessary to bring a kid in.

Agree 110% - it's the not so secret dirty little secret in the recruiting game.

Reaction Score
Some guys don't want to spend 5 years in college. Some could stay there the rest of their lives.

Reaction Score

It's his job to lose that is for sure.

I'll make it 4 places, Boyle is the QB for the next three years.....unless he goes pro after his junior year or Marchi is a freak of nature.

I just re-watched the game and Boyle looks even better the day after. His supporting cast didn't help him. Boyle made a plenty of nice plays and he is going to get sooooo much better.

We have a guy who could play anywhere including Bama. Stealing a baseball term, Boyle is a 5 tool player (I had no idea he could run like that)

The next 3 years will be fun and coaches will be lining up for this job in part because of Boyle.

Reaction Score
If that's the case, the Elis should have quite the stable of qbs with Southington's signal caller commiting to matriculate there next season.

Reaction Score

If that's the case, the Elis should have quite the stable of qbs with Southington's signal caller commiting to matriculate there next season.

Indeed... Don't see CC heading there (or at least to play QB). They seemingly have a logjam @ the position already. 5 underclassmen returning (4 will be same class as CC) plus Barmore @ minimum.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Do you have an opinion on what's likely to happen or is it totally irresponsible to even speculate? I agree that nobody knows but I think you can form an opinion.

I have no idea what's going to happen.

The kid looks like he has a lot of potential - but locking someone into the quarterback position for 3+ years is wildly premature - especially for a team with no coach.

You'd think people would learn - I mean there used to be people who had Cochran or Lagow locked into the job for seasons before they played a down...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I'll make it 4 places, Boyle is the QB for the next three years.....unless he goes pro after his junior year or Marchi is a freak of nature.

I just re-watched the game and Boyle looks even better the day after. His supporting cast didn't help him. Boyle made a plenty of nice plays and he is going to get sooooo much better.

We have a guy who could play anywhere including Bama. Stealing a baseball term, Boyle is a 5 tool player (I had no idea he could run like that)

The next 3 years will be fun and coaches will be lining up for this job in part because of Boyle.

A: your whole post is silly
B: the conclusion about coaches is completely ridiculous

You've decided he could play at Alabama based on one game against South Florida where they scored ten points and lost.

Reaction Score

worst. post. ever

Reaction Score
A: your whole post is silly
B: the conclusion about coaches is completely ridiculous

You've decided he could play at Alabama based on one game against South Florida where they scored ten points and lost.

If you don't think prospective coaches look at talent on a roster you are lost.

I'll stand by my opinion, Boyle is a major league talent and can play anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom