Had a fun morning today, reliving the '14 tourney. | The Boneyard

Had a fun morning today, reliving the '14 tourney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Spent a few hours this morning on you tube, reveling in the 2014 tourney,including watching the entire championship game. Found it surprising how many details of that game I'd forgotten in just two and a half years. Thought maybe some other 'yarders would enjoy reliving it, too.

Like I had forgotten that Amida and Kromah came in at the 15:32 mark, and both had an immediate impact. Amida had a block at 15:28, grabbed the rebound of the blocked shot and handed it to Bazz. Kromah sunk a jumper at the other end at 15:21. KY turned the ball over at 15:10, and at 14:54 Bazz buried a three from way out. KY missed and Brimah grabbed the rebound at 14:34. Amida actually had 3 blocks and 3 boards in his first 3 minutes on the court.

At about 13:10, Boat had my favorite play of the game, when he pwned the vaunted KY interior defense by dribbling into traffic, turning as if to take it back outside, and as the defense relaxed, spinning back around his befuddled man to make an uncontested reverse layup. 17-8

Our lead continued to grow until KY went zone and worked their way back into it.

I'd forgotten how cold we started the 2nd half, too. Even knowing the outcome, I couldn't help but get nervous every time they got within one or two.

9:00 left, we have a 3 point lead. Boat hurts his ankle but stays in game. Niels misses. Harrison misses. Young draws a foul. 4th on Phil. Amida already on the bench with 4. Daniels replaces Phil. Neither Phil nor Amida would get the chance to foul out, because we play the last 8:30 of the game without a center. I had forgotten that completely.

Young makes both FTs. 1 point game.

The next few minutes there's not a whole lot of scoring. Turnovers and missed shots by both teams. The lead goes up and down, but never by much, and we never get tied or fall behind. Lead finally gets back to 6 points with 2:45 left. Almost breathing room.

Randall misses, and we get possession. Now we slow down the offense with 2:15 to go. 6 points ain't much, but at about 2 minutes it's huge when your team hasn't missed a FT in 2 games and the worst FT shooter you have on the floor is Kromah, at just under 70%.

Burn the whole clock, Giffey misses, Kromah rebounds and tosses it deep to Bazz. Vitale calls it the biggest rebound of the CT season. Vitale is an idiot. Think back a week or so earlier. This one is with a 6 point lead. It ain't even close to Brimah's late board against St. Joe's.

1:50 to go. KO calls timeout to make sure everybody is on the same page.

Run clock, miss. The Jellies get possession with 1:20 left.

Young gets a layup. 4 point game. 1:06.

KY fouls. Not in bonus yet.

Run more clock and feed wide open Kromah under rim, he gets fouled going up. 25.1 on clock.

Makes both. 6 point game with 25 seconds left.

KY inexplicably burns 11 seconds before Harrison chucks a three and misses. The other Harrison gets the board and misses another three.

Board goes to Boat with 6 seconds left, and that is all she wrote.

Reporter asks Squid, why didn't you foul the last 2 minutes of the game. "Because they don't miss from the line." The way he said it sounded like a direct shot at his team's 13 of 24 FT shooting.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Spent a few hours this morning on you tube, reveling in the 2014 tourney,including watching the entire championship game. Found it surprising how many details of that game I'd forgotten in just two and a half years. Thought maybe some other 'yarders would enjoy reliving it, too.

Like I had forgotten that Amida and Kromah came in at the 15:32 mark, and both had an immediate impact. Amida had a block at 15:28, grabbed the rebound of the blocked shot and handed it to Bazz. Kromah sunk a jumper at the other end at 15:21. KY turned the ball over at 15:10, and at 14:54 Bazz buried a three from way out. KY missed and Brimah grabbed the rebound at 14:34. Amida actually had 3 blocks and 3 boards in his first 3 minutes on the court.

At about 13:10, Boat had my favorite play of the game, when he pwned the vaunted KY interior defense by dribbling into traffic, turning as if to take it back outside, and as the defense relaxed, spinning back around his befuddled man to make an uncontested reverse layup. 17-8

Our lead continued to grow until KY went zone and worked their way back into it.

I'd forgotten how cold we started the 2nd half, too. Even knowing the outcome, I couldn't help but get nervous every time they got within one or two.

9:00 left, we have a 3 point lead. Boat hurts his ankle but stays in game. Niels misses. Harrison misses. Young draws a foul. 4th on Phil. Amida already on the bench with 4. Daniels replaces Phil. Neither Phil nor Amida would get the chance to foul out, because we play the last 8:30 of the game without a center. I had forgotten that completely.

Young makes both FTs. 1 point game.

The next few minutes there's not a whole lot of scoring. Turnovers and missed shots by both teams. The lead goes up and down, but never by much, and we never get tied or fall behind. Lead finally gets back to 6 points with 2:45 left. Almost breathing room.

Randall misses, and we get possession. Now we slow down the offense with 2:15 to go. 6 points ain't much, but at about 2 minutes it's huge when your team hasn't missed a FT in 2 games and the worst FT shooter you have on the floor is Kromah, at just under 70%.

Burn the whole clock, Giffey misses, Kromah rebounds and tosses it deep to Bazz. Vitale calls it the biggest rebound of the CT season. Vitale is an idiot. Think back a week or so earlier. This one is with a 6 point lead. It ain't even close to Brimah's late board against St. Joe's.

1:50 to go. KO calls timeout to make sure everybody is on the same page.

Run clock, miss. The Jellies get possession with 1:20 left.

Young gets a layup. 4 point game. 1:06.

KY fouls. Not in bonus yet.

Run more clock and feed wide open Kromah under rim, he gets fouled going up. 25.1 on clock.

Makes both. 6 point game with 25 seconds left.

KY inexplicably burns 11 seconds before Harrison chucks a three and misses. The other Harrison gets the board and misses another three.

Board goes to Boat with 6 seconds left, and that is all she wrote.

Reporter asks Squid, why didn't you foul the last 2 minutes of the game. "Because they don't miss from the line." The way he said it sounded like a direct shot at his team's 13 of 24 FT shooting.

Great recap! You know, that was one time when Calipari was right. They did not miss from the line when it really counted. So clutch. All of them. They had to be nearly perfect as a team and they pretty much were. What a great game that was. Boat chewed them up on the perimeter, just disrupted UK so that they were on their heels.

Reaction Score
One of my favorite plays in UConn history, and this game's "that's when I knew we'd win" moment.

It pains me to know that future generations of Husky fans will always underrate Boat because he didn't make it in the NBA. He was such a gamer, and a perfect 4-year combo guard whose decision to a) pick us, b) stick with us, c) be a great & selfless second banana, and d) come back for his senior year to keep us afloat... I mean, we go something like 12-21 without him in 2014/15. He kept us respectable while KO rebuilt the program.

Low-key one of the six or seven most important players in program history. He's a Husky of Honor already and forever as far as I'm concerned.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
That's awesome - I honestly do that like once every month or two, and I did the other day, but I must say I haven't watched the full game - I may have to do that tonight...

Going off memory, but I feel like you missed three huge plays/shots, I believe I have the right sequence: Bazz hits a huge three, then they return with a bucket, then Giff with a 3, correct?

Then, the shot I know I have the correct game on is at 54-50, where Boat on a bum ankle crosses over someone, I think Randle, and hits a dagger fade away J to go up 6.

That was one of the bigger shots in that game, and if I have that sequence right, those were my favorite/most important shots of that game.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Going off memory, but I feel like you missed three huge plays/shots, I believe I have the right sequence: Bazz hits a huge three, then they return with a bucket, then Giff with a 3, correct?

Yes, and on the next possession, Daniels just missed a 3. I had that sequence in my write up, but it's still on the cutting room floor, as the post would have been about 3 times as long if I didn't cut a whole bunch out of the middle.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Yes, and on the next possession, Daniels just missed a 3. I had that sequence in my write up, but it's still on the cutting room floor, as the post would have been about 3 times as long if I didn't cut a whole bunch out of the middle.

Ha no I hear ya, that stops me from posting a lot actually, I could write a ton so I just drop it - I knew I had parts right but I also did want to clarify that whole sequence.

And screw it, now that's what I'm going to watch tonight.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Funny - I decided it was unlucky for me to record games because we lost almost every one I recorded that season, so I don't have any on my DVR with the exception of the final game as I hit the record button as we won so I have the last 18 minutes. I've re-watched it about a dozen times now.

My wife has a picture of me sitting halfway up the stairs with my head in my hands listening to the game still on in my office at the bottom of the stairs. The picture is at the point in the second half when we were only up by 1 and Boat just twisted his ankle. I was sure we were done and every time I re-watch the game I have no idea how we pull it out from there.

But we do every time!

Reaction Score
My son and I were at Jerry's World for the Final Four and sitting in the UConn section. I just remember thinking the clock would never run out. UK had won several games in the last seconds with crazy three point shots - including the Final Four game against Wisconsin. We yelled long and loud after the game and headed back to the hotel where we greeted the team and they had another pep rally and trophy presentation in the ballroom. Chills thinking about it

Reaction Score
One of my favorite plays in UConn history, and this game's "that's when I knew we'd win" moment.

It pains me to know that future generations of Husky fans will always underrate Boat because he didn't make it in the NBA. He was such a gamer, and a perfect 4-year combo guard whose decision to a) pick us, b) stick with us, c) be a great & selfless second banana, and d) come back for his senior year to keep us afloat... I mean, we go something like 12-21 without him in 2014/15. He kept us respectable while KO rebuilt the program.

Low-key one of the six or seven most important players in program history. He's a Husky of Honor already and forever as far as I'm concerned.

Not sure I agree with the 12-21 part but A+ post otherwise. He's one of the most selfless guys to ever play here.

Reaction Score
@RichZ did you see in the beginning (19:20 mark) when one of the Harrison twins tried to punk Bazz by pushing him, and bumping him real hard?

Love how Bazz (City kid) responded!

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Cool, no big deal. I'm not even past the pre-game presser while watching @tcf15 's full 2014 video and I'm all teared up listening to Shabazz. What a phenomenal kid.

Thanks @RichZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS