HACK-A-DRUMMOND... | The Boneyard

HACK-A-DRUMMOND...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This will be opponents plan with our new BEAST of the EAST. The question becomes what can we expect from Andre at the charity strip this upcoming season? Granted his other positive attributes have all been discussed but will free throw shooting @ the 5 spot kill us at crunch time?

Free throw shooting % Thabeet:

Hasheem Thabeet 2006-2007 - 51.3%
Hasheen Thabeet 2007-2008 - 69.8%
Hasheem Thabeet 2008-2009 - 62.7 %

I am going to put the over/under for AD's foul shooting @ 55.5 %. Something tells be I would bet the under on this play. Assuming AD shoots sub 55.5% how does this impact us down the stretch of games? I am speculating AD is a very poor free throw shooter based on an article I read. Any thoughts?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
what did he shoot in high school? those stats must be out there somewhere...

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure you could find them on maxpreps.com

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This will be opponents plan with our new BEAST of the EAST. The question becomes what can we expect from Andre at the charity strip this upcoming season? Granted his other positive attributes have all been discussed but will free throw shooting @ the 5 spot kill us at crunch time?

Free throw shooting % Thabeet:

Hasheem Thabeet 2006-2007 - 51.3%
Hasheen Thabeet 2007-2008 - 69.8%
Hasheem Thabeet 2008-2009 - 62.7 %

I am going to put the over/under for AD's foul shooting @ 55.5 %. Something tells be I would bet the under on this play. Assuming AD shoots sub 55.5% how does this impact us down the stretch of games? I am speculating AD is a very poor free throw shooter based on an article I read. Any thoughts?

The real important thing is: can he finish while getting fouled? HT had real difficulty with this, in relation to touch, strength, and aggressiveness. Andre doesn't have those concerns. If he misses a bunch of and-1's, I'm not as concerned. No idea what he actually shoots though.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
The real important thing is: can he finish while getting fouled? HT had real difficulty with this, in relation to touch, strength, and aggressiveness. Andre doesn't have those concerns. If he misses a bunch of and-1's, I'm not as concerned. No idea what he actually shoots though.

Heck, even Oriakhi struggles to finish when fouled.

Apparently when Andre wants to and goes in beast mode, he's hard to stop. I have heard that he needs to work on his foul shooting though.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
+1

Reaction Score
I've heard the odd rumor about his free throw shooting, but nothing tangible. He's still pretty young and his mechanics can definitely be played with from that spot. Also, like someone mentioned, I'm guessing he'll wind up being pretty good finishing with contact.
There's got to be a STM insider on this board that knows what his FT% is like. Hook us up. :)

Reaction Score
Other teams will run out of big men if they try and beat down AD. He is the type of player that can finish a move to the basket through contact with ease.

Reaction Score
so he'll only get 2 points instead of 3 when he dunks it in their face and gets fouled at the same time big deal

Reaction Score
Found this too: http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Andre_Drummond/Summary/24241

In 2010, at the U-17 World Championships, he played in 8 games, averaging about 13 minutes per game. He was 3-10 from the line through those 8 games. Although, for what it's worth, he did shoot 63% from the field. I'm not sure how much stock you can put into these stats and how they will carry over to the college game 1 year later, but I thought it was worth taking a look at.

Reaction Score
All indications are that he is pretty putrid from the foul line. Obviously this can be mitigated in certain situations - if we're up 7 with 30 seconds to go, Drummond will be on the bench. Not too many college coaches resort to fouling earlier in the game because of the 5-and-you're-out rule. But I suppose there may be a handful of times during the course of the season where Drummond ends up at the line in a big spot and we'll be holding our breath.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Does this mean he shoots his free throws underhanded ak Shaq and Josh Boone.

Reaction Score
Found this too: http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Andre_Drummond/Summary/24241

In 2010, at the U-17 World Championships, he played in 8 games, averaging about 13 minutes per game. He was 3-10 from the line through those 8 games. Although, for what it's worth, he did shoot 63% from the field. I'm not sure how much stock you can put into these stats and how they will carry over to the college game 1 year later, but I thought it was worth taking a look at.
Thanks for the #'s. It would be great if we could bring in Ed Palubinskas to work with Andre. Maybe Dwight and Andre could share his services? ;):D

Reaction Score
All indications are that he is pretty putrid from the foul line. Obviously this can be mitigated in certain situations - if we're up 7 with 30 seconds to go, Drummond will be on the bench. Not too many college coaches resort to fouling earlier in the game because of the 5-and-you're-out rule. But I suppose there may be a handful of times during the course of the season where Drummond ends up at the line in a big spot and we'll be holding our breath.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com..._1_dwight-howard-ed-palubinskas-orlando-magic

Reaction Score
I'm fine if teams want to hack Drummon even if he's bad at FT's. All that does is get us to the bonus early and often.

Reaction Score
I'm fine if teams want to hack Drummon even if he's bad at FT's. All that does is get us to the bonus early and often.
I agree. College teams also aren't usually very deep along the front line. How many teams will have 1 guy that matches up well with AD little lone the 2-3 it would take to use this strategy. I would think this could only be used very late in games, and it might be somewhat effective then. Hasn't Shaq been pulled at times late in games because of this strategy. It would stink if JC is forced to sit AD at the end of games.

In the end this only becomes an issue at all if he's a 60% shooter or worse. Hopefully JC and company will have him at an acceptable level before the season starts.

Reaction Score
What were they thinking, giving AD a ship? :rolleyes:

They have lots of drills to improve the team's FT shooting. He'll get better over time. If this is the biggest thing they have to worry about, the Huskies are in pretty good shape. He's probably going to finish with contact considering he's a beast physically, and most teams have only so many fouls to give in the post. This might be something to keep an eye on during the tournament though, but even if we face a team that has a lot of fouls to give in the post, it's not like AD will be the focal point of the team. His biggest contribution will likely be on the defensive side of half-court.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Hopefully Rudy heals up good.
Back to Drummond, anyone have boxscores for these games? http://www.maxpreps.com/high-school...ncellors/basketball-winter-10-11/schedule.htm
I want to see what his numbers look like game by game for this past season.
I always found it interesting that tall players historically have been known as less competent at the line when in theory taller BBallerZ should be better at making free throws. One rationale is that the high release point of the shot causes the player to stand overly erect. I can only imagine how many points Wilt C would have scored if he wasn't a career 51% free throw shooter. Scary thought indeed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom