Gutless, Heartless | The Boneyard

Gutless, Heartless

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I would make a comment here... but no amount of mojo could save this team... or KO it seems

Reaction Score
They quit after the SMU game .
To win they
have to play with intensity for 40 minutes
Their simply not that good offensively to overcome a lack of defense and they refuse to dig in for the whole game.
The’re playing y league ball right now.
I suspect Ollie is toast and they know it. Interesting to see if their coach goes what will happen to the players.
This season is over
Tulsa sucks on defense so it was close.Don’t be fooled by the score.

The only hope is to bring in someone who can keep the majority of kids here.
Other than being middle level freshman the front line has a chance to be good.
Keeping the commits interested would be helpful.

Carlton, Whaley, Polley , CV, Gilbert ,and especially if Adams stays
With the recruits coming in next year should be a far better team ,if JA leaves than it will take two years .

Reaction Score
They quit after the SMU game .
To win they
have to play with intensity for 40 minutes
Their simply not that good offensively to overcome a lack of defense and they refuse to dig in for the whole game.
The’re playing y league ball right now.
I suspect Ollie is toast and they know it. Interesting to see if their coach goes what will happen to the players.
This season is over
Tulsa sucks on defense so it was close.Don’t be fooled by the score.

The only hope is to bring in someone who can keep the majority of kids here.
Other than being middle level freshman the front line has a chance to be good.
Keeping the commits interested would be helpful.

Carlton, Whaley, Polley , CV, Gilbert ,and especially if Adams stays
With the recruits coming in next year should be a far better team ,if JA leaves than it will take two years .
Even with Adams, how the hell is this team going to be any good? Just stop. With a frontline more suitable for the MAAC, we will still not be any good.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Larrier cowers at the rim on two straight defensive plays and gives up an offensive rebound on missed FT.

Adams went so far out of his way to avoid contact it looked like he wanted to miss

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
There is no excuse. The game should of gone in the win column. The first half very impressive. Not so bad in the second except for those slam dunks back to back, and the easy drives to the basket. Then a couple of three's. Story of the year. It is so hard to comment on a player. You want to say Larrier sucked then he throws down threes. You want to give kudos to Carlton, then he stand and watches drives to the hoop. The last play sucked. Was the plan to grab a foul? Jalen is a good pull jumper kind of guy. Oh well.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Even with Adams, how the hell is this team going to be any good? Just stop. With a frontline more suitable for the MAAC, we will still not be any good.

We have a frontline suitable for a bottom-level P5 team and definitely for this conference. It's just being coached/developed incredibly poorly.

Reaction Score
Among other things , our apathy towards offensive rebounding really burns my .
I don't want to hear it is to avoid a fast break either , that's a piss poor excuse for lack of effort.

Reaction Score
Among other things , our apathy towards offensive rebounding really burns my .
I don't want to hear it is to avoid a fast break either , that's a piss poor excuse for lack of effort.
The bigs are just terrible. They really have no sense of court awareness and positioning for rebounds. Its like they watch the shot and have no basketball instinct to move to an advantaged position and box out. Nobody goes to where the ball is going to go. It's fascinating. They wait for it to hopefully bounce their way like the hoop is a random direction rebound generator. I can't even say it's a lack of hustle because they simply are not in the play. Half the time they are 12 feet or more away from the basket in KO's stupid token high post offense with useless perimeter play. The whole thing is a schit show of incompetence.

Reaction Score
The bigs are just terrible. They really have no sense of court awareness and positioning for rebounds. Its like they watch the shot and have no basketball instinct to move to an advantaged position and box out. Nobody goes to where the ball is going to go. It's fascinating. They wait for it to hopefully bounce their way like the hoop is a random direction rebound generator. I can't even say it's a lack of hustle because they simply are not in the play. Half the time they are 12 feet or more away from the basket in KO's stupid token high post offense with useless perimeter play. The whole thing is a schit show of incompetence.
Incontinence would be a better choice of word here.

Reaction Score
Because kids get better as they mature. but more importantly groups of kids become a better team
with experience playing together.
UConn’s constant turnover has been a big part of the problem.
Look at Freshman Stats for Kemba, Bazz ,Giffey, Diandre very few players came here as freshman studs
They came with potential .
and if you look closely at most guys that were significant contributors as frosh they were playing with three or four other real good players.
We are not going to be recruiting 5 star guys who are almost ready for the NBA as freshman. So keeping cores together or team building is key to success .
This year UConn had two guys with time together two coming off major surgery , another red shirt freshman with dubious health , and three freshman recruits. None highly regarded. That’s 5 freshman
Two Juco’s one who hasn’t played B.B. in two years the other a discipline problem. One post grad who wasn’t much of a contributor on an Ivy League team the other a decent 4th guard.
This post is neither a dump Ollie or Ollie defense.
I like Whaley , Carlton , Polley, Diarra , Vital , Gilbert , add to that Wilson , that’s the most formidable core we’ve had since 2014. It lacks experience in the backcourt and Gilbert if always iffy
So JA returning especially with the incoming freshman. I would add a post grad PG
Larrier should play a post grad year somewhere else , He for some reason just doesn’t fit in here. if he finds the tight team he will do okay. I would be surprised if either Juco was still here.
Why woulfn’t expectations be higher
Keeping the core together is the key to success next year .
If anyone disagrees with my facts feel free but do so with facts

Reaction Score
We have a frontline suitable for a bottom-level P5 team and definitely for this conference. It's just being coached/developed incredibly poorly.

Dude have you seen Whaley take a 5 foot jump shot? Have you seen Larrier ever make a play in traffic? Have you watched the rest?

Reaction Score
When that guy went to the hole two possessions in a row for Tulsa and slammed it in our faces that summed it up right there. No one willing to take the body. There was a time if someone did that to us, if they tried again the next possession Lyman DePriest would have put him in the third row!!!

Reaction Score
Because kids get better as they mature. but more importantly groups of kids become a better team
with experience playing together.
UConn’s constant turnover has been a big part of the problem.
Look at Freshman Stats for Kemba, Bazz ,Giffey, Diandre very few players came here as freshman studs
They came with potential .
and if you look closely at most guys that were significant contributors as frosh they were playing with three or four other real good players.
We are not going to be recruiting 5 star guys who are almost ready for the NBA as freshman. So keeping cores together or team building is key to success .
This year UConn had two guys with time together two coming off major surgery , another red shirt freshman with dubious health , and three freshman recruits. None highly regarded. That’s 5 freshman
Two Juco’s one who hasn’t played B.B. in two years the other a discipline problem. One post grad who wasn’t much of a contributor on an Ivy League team the other a decent 4th guard.
This post is neither a dump Ollie or Ollie defense.
I like Whaley , Carlton , Polley, Diarra , Vital , Gilbert , add to that Wilson , that’s the most formidable core we’ve had since 2014. It lacks experience in the backcourt and Gilbert if always iffy
So JA returning especially with the incoming freshman. I would add a post grad PG
Larrier should play a post grad year somewhere else , He for some reason just doesn’t fit in here. if he finds the tight team he will do okay. I would be surprised if either Juco was still here.
Why woulfn’t expectations be higher
Keeping the core together is the key to success next year .
If anyone disagrees with my facts feel free but do so with facts

The only arguments I'd make is your emphasis on keeping a core together. I think we have to wait until the season is over to figure out whether we lose anyone from the team we currently have (transfers/going pro/etc). If adams and larrier both move on to the next basketball step, the core you refer to is Whaley/Carlton/Polley/Diarra/Gilbert/Sid. Gilbert is essentially a freshman again next year in term's of experience. Sid is a freshman in terms of experience. The other four guys have, at best, been up and down. The turnover for next year would be as great if not greater than this year. If adams and larrier move on, you're looking at a starting lineup next year of.....who? If Gilbert, god forbid, can't come back, we're relying on a freshman, vital and whatever 5th year guard we can convince to tag along with this program for a year to run the point. In a guard oriented offense. Woof.

As is obvious from my many meandering posts on the topic, I think KO should be let go after the season. I do feel bad for him though, as I think he had good intentions in terms of how he'd construct his roster but a combination of some very poor recruiting on his end and some tough breaks means that the team this year and for the foreseeable future is way beneath the normal talent level of a UConn team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom