Gut Check | The Boneyard

Gut Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What's the problem?

It's easy to finger point at our dilemma........our long time dilemma.

Since I never played or coached the game, I'm only offering suggestions of cause/effect of our on field results for many years as a fan for close to 50 years .

Is it the coaches? Its as easy to blame them for the teams performance as it is to blame any President for the country's dilemmas. The buck stops on their desk......be it for something under their control or not. In the case of UConn, since the inception of UConn's entry into BCS/FBS play, most of the coaches had a respectable degree of success in their resumes........after all, I can't thing of any coach in any UConn program who was hired because they were good losers.

Are the athletes giving up and not trying? I doubt it.....so far. Most have been given a chance to obtain something they possibly otherwise would not have......the chance of a college education. I firmly believe all are trying their darnest to the best of their abilities to succeed in both.

Is it coaching philosophy? How many times last night did the commentators as why when you are down by four touchdowns you are trying to play field position by punting like you are in a close game? What does that say to your players? Lack of confidence? I remember a SEC game I saw in 2013 when Franklin was coaching Vanderbilt against Kentucky. On the very first offensive series of the game, Franklin elected to go for it on a forth and four.......from their own 26. And because of academic standards, Vanderbilt does not get the typical SEC recruit. Talk about confidence and messages to your team. (the little engine that could)

Maybe the skill ceiling of the players are not as high as found on other teams. You can't produce a high energy program at the BCS/FBS level when the recruits we get also had offers from Sacred Heart, CCSU, Maine, Albany, Rhode Island, Albany, etc. And that has been going on since Edsall years....with few exceptions. Maybe the recruiting pundits know something most fans hate to admit........HS football in the northeast does not produce a wealth of BCS/FBS talent. That's why Syracuse, BC, Massachusetts, UConn struggle to compete at high levels of play.

Reaction Score
At this point we might not have the players to compete with Houston. But arguably only about 10 teams do this year. But let's be honest. We have enough talent to bear Navy Virginia Syracuse and to blow out Maine. I believe it is possible to build a program that is top 35 year in year out. Why? Because we have seen it. Tom O'Brien did it for 10 years at BC and when you do that every now and then you have a very good one. Edsall was doing it at UConn. We weren't top 5 but we were consistently a top 35-40 team with the exception of a couple of years. Had we stayed on that trajectory we would have had our moments too. And that is where we need to go again. We need a fundamentally sound team that uses the weapons it has and we need to recruit PA FL NJ and New England.

Reaction Score
If you don't have the talent, coaching is key. Triple option @ Navy or the Fiesta Bowl Boise St team. Edsall did it out of trailers and now we have state of the art complexes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I did my own gut check. Yup, still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom