Gusters to Baylor | The Boneyard

Gusters to Baylor

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno knows how to get Guards and Kim Mulkey knows how to get "Bigs".
Well she did make that pitch at the National Championship to Bigs everywhere - “Come to Baylor where you won’t have to set picks.” Gusters is very much a traditional Big. She spends most of her time in the paint. Gusters is not as athletic as Liv, but she has a big frame and she’ll take up space inside.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Bummer. So hard to get kids to leave Texas. On to the next target! When Collier changed her mind, he went all in on ONO and she worked out pretty well so far... ;)

Having said that I do wish the staff would look at more bigs. They seem to narrow the search to just one, go all in, and then if/when it doesn't work out, there's a scramble for the next one. When Collier changed her mind, while he went all in on ONO, it appeared to be a mad scramble.

IMHO he should have been recruiting Gusters, Cardozo, Okosun, etc. all equally hard. It seemed that he didn't start looking at Okosun till he really felt Gusters was deciding on elsewhere. I don't pretend to know what's going on behind the scene with the staff, but now all of a sudden there's a flurry of activity (Listers following Okosun on IG or whatever), and now they will go back out and try to get Cardozo maybe? Why not recruit multiple bigs all the time? And give lots of effort and energy to all of them?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So this year,

Nataija Marshall (6'6")- Notre Dame
Cameron Brink (6'4")- Stanford
Hannah Gusters (6'4") Baylor
Angela Dugalic (6'4") Oregon

Last year:
Aliyah Boston (6'4") South Carolina
Ashten Prechtel (6'5") Stanford
Maori Davenport (6'4") Rutgers
Laeticia Amihere (6'3") South Carolina
Kennedy Brown (6'6") Oregon State
River Baldwin (6'5") Florida State

The year before that:

Charli Collier (6'5") Texas
Shakira Austin (6'5") Maryland
Sedona Prince (6'7") Baylor
Andrea Aquino (6'9") Oregon State
Olivia Owens (6'4") Maryland

So we got ONO. But that is a whole heckuva lot of talented bigs who couldn't be bothered to attend the premier WCBB program in the country. WOW!

That's a lot of "No's". And a whole lot of "yes's" to our biggest competitors.

Perhaps Coach Geno needs to boost his assistant coaching staff who have big responsibility for recruiting. Perhaps the loss of Marisa Moseley is hurting more than was expected. Whatever the cause, that is a huge number of top post players who have said no to UConn, and continue to say no to UConn.

We can continue to view everything through rose-colored glasses, but someone who is being realistic has to admit that we have a problem recruiting posts. Yes, we got Tina Charles and Rebecca Lobo. But that was years ago. And look at the bigs on the bench right now of Oregon State, Oregon, Baylor, Maryland, and others. Yet we're going into the new season with one player who can possibly be considered front court.

Something's not working here. A stable full of guards will not get us to a national championship, no matter how the people here want to deny reality.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
and now they will go back out and try to get Cardozo maybe? Why not recruit multiple bigs all the time? And give lots of effort and energy to all of them?

Should be noted that they've been recruiting Cardoso all the time they were recruiting Gusters. I don't know when the recruitment of Okosun began, but it wasn't an either/or with Gusters and Cardoso.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Should be noted that they've been recruiting Cardoso all the time they were recruiting Gusters. I don't know when the recruitment of Okosun began, but it wasn't an either/or with Gusters and Cardoso.
Ah good to know thank you. As I said I don't pretend to know what goes on behind the scenes with the staff vis-a-vis recruiting, so good to know they have been going hard after both kids...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So this year,

Last year:

The year before that:

So we got ONO. But that is a whole heckuva lot of talented bigs who couldn't be bothered to attend the premier WCBB program in the country. WOW!

Perhaps Coach Geno needs to boost his assistant coaching staff who have big responsibility for recruiting. Perhaps the loss of Marisa Moseley is hurting more than was expected. Whatever the cause, that is a huge number of top post players who have said no to UConn, and continue to say no to UConn.

We can continue to view everything through rose-colored glasses, but someone who is being realistic has to admit that we have a problem recruiting posts. Yes, we got Tina Charles and Rebecca Lobo. But that was years ago. And look at the bigs on the bench right now of Oregon State, Oregon, Baylor, Maryland, and others. Yet we're going into the new season with one player who can possibly be considered front court.

Something's not working here. A stable full of guards will not get us to a national championship, no matter how the people here want to deny reality.
Your post suggests that all of the players listed were offered by UConn. They were not. In addition, several of the players you list appear to have grown. As examples, Marshall is 6’4” and Owen is 6’3”, and I’m reasonably sure Geno didn’t offer either one.

Reaction Score
So this year,

Last year:

The year before that:

You are assuming that we made offers to all those posts. Not even close. For good reason. Assuming that everyone 6' 4" or taller is good enough to play at UConn is absurd.

Reaction Score
I wasn't counting on Hanna Gusters anyway think she is overrated. I like Jillian Hollingshead she is 6'5 lean and is mobil remind me of ONO also from GA. Like how do you miss out on Natalija Marshall another 6'5 versatile post and she right in our backyard New York. At this point Geno is going to have to change the way he recruits by getting at least 3 bigs. Maybe this is his plan now since he has more then enough guards is just start offering big body as we did in Amari Deberry

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

I don't recall UConn being in on Brown, Davenport, Prechtel, or Dugalic.

Collier did choose UConn then went home to be with her family. Can't get too upset about that one.

UConn watched Aquino and Owens but I'm not sure how much interest there was in them.

Reaction Score
You are assuming that we made offers to all those posts. Not even close. For good reason. Assuming that everyone 6' 4" or taller is good enough to play at UConn is absurd.

Also UConn's lack of elite post recruits is not new.

Reaction Score
Do we know that though? Looking back, quite a few posts state that no one was sure if Cardoso was being recruited until recently, but Guster has been on the radar for quite some time.
Where have we heard that UConn is recruiting Cardosa? I have yet to see anything on that.

Reaction Score
So this year,

Last year:

The year before that:

Your list is deceiving. You don’t include ONO, but you do mention her. So UConn got 1 “yes” in 3 years. No other team got more than 2. So it’s not as if any one team is monopolizing bigs. It’s only when you pit UConn against the rest of WCBB that it looks like we are the only school getting “no’s.” Honestly, how many “bigs” is UConn supposed to get? 1 or 2 a year?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
People have a right to be frustrated and I get it, but just a month ago there was all kinds of angst regarding recruiting in general. Since then UCONN has landed:
  1. Uber recruit #1 Paige Bueckers
  2. Outstanding international guard Nika Muhl
  3. Grad transfer post player Adebayo
  4. Outstanding international wing/guard Ania Makurat
  5. The #2 player in Megan Walker's class, Evina Westbrook
Now suddenly UCONN has a plethora of not only guards/wings, but REALLY good guards/wings. Next up, post players. Stay tuned!!!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Do we know that though? Looking back, quite a few posts state that no one was sure if Cardoso was being recruited until recently, but Guster has been on the radar for quite some time.

They've been on Cardosa since the start of the year at the very least. We haven't heard of an offer yet, but she probably has one considering she can sign in less than six months.

Reaction Score
People have a right to be frustrated and I get it, but just a month ago there was all kinds of angst regarding recruiting in general. Since then UCONN has landed:
  1. Uber recruit #1 Paige Bueckers
  2. Outstanding international guard Nika Muhl
  3. Grad transfer post player Adebayo
  4. Outstanding international wing/guard Ania Makurat
  5. The #2 player in Megan Walker's class, Evina Westbrook
Now suddenly UCONN has a plethora of not only guards/wings, but REALLY good guards/wings. Next up, post players. Stay tuned!!!

The stable of players has certainly improved. I really hope that you right when it comes to post players. I am on your side of the court. And frankly, I await with great anticipation for the announcement that, at least one, or perhaps two very tall and talented young women would like to join the UConn women's program.

Reaction Score
They've been on Cardosa since the start of the year at the very least. We haven't heard of an offer yet, but she probably has one considering she can sign in less than six months.
She has been so lowkey. She is really good friends with the Mississippi State commit for 2019 and already took a visit, so I’m guessing they’re a legit contender too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom