Gustafson and Iowa | The Boneyard

Gustafson and Iowa

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
58A3196B-BEB3-495E-B26B-FA06D12B9350.jpeg

Gustafson shoots 13 of 19 for 29 points and gets 20 boards. Not bad; not bad.

Reaction Score
She put up pretty impressive numbers (26 points on 11 of 16 shooting with 10 rebounds) against Notre Dame despite the blowout loss. She's played extremely well this entire season and I would she's Iowa's Napheesa Collier--their Ms. Consistent.

Reaction Score
and remember that she was ranked #80 by ESPN in the 2015 recruiting class

North Tartan Summer Jam-June 2014: Strong, efficient low-post performer produces on both ends of the floor; defends, shot-blocking presence; mobile in uptempo; consistent left handed interior producer. (Olson)

Reaction Score
in an earlier conversation about that very question, one poster who's name will go unsaid was very clear that Gustafson didn't have the skill set to play for UConn...........................I heartily disagreed

Reaction Score
in an earlier conversation about that very question, one poster who's name will go unsaid was very clear that Gustafson didn't have the skill set to play for UConn.......I heartily disagreed
Interesting. She clearly got a multitude of un stoppable moves around the basket (at least in this level...not sure how it will translate to the pros) that for sure could have helped the Huskies..

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Don't discount or overlook IOWA in the tournament. They can rise up at anytime and play up to their opponent's level for 40 minutes, and ruin a team's day. They can be like the old "Candid Camera" slogan that was said at the end of every show....."Sometime somewhere when you least expect it", smile, you're on candid camera. In this case, it would be "GOTCHA" , you just lost to a dark horse team.

Remember the 2016 tournament? When Oregon St and Washington made it all the way to the final four. They sent Baylor and Stanford home in the regional finals. No one predicted either of them would get that far, but they did. Dark horses are like a snake in tall grass. You don't see them until it's too late. :confused:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Interesting. She clearly got a multitude of un stoppable moves around the basket (at least in this level...not sure how it will translate to the pros) that for sure could have helped the Huskies..
Interesting but questionable. Megan Gustafson has always been universally praised here on the BY. Don't ever recall any poster saying Megan did not have the skill set to play at UCONN-that would be ludicrous! Her name always comes up around the time that AA awards are announced. She has remarkable support here on the BY. @BigBird and I are especially great fans, we have both posted how much we would like to see her in a UCONN uniform. Example:
Megan Gustafson isn’t just good; she is UConn good. She checks every box Geno has espoused. Does anyone really believe that Megan in the post for the Huskies this season wouldn’t have made UConn a much better team?

@bbballfan23 had this response.
Better team? Of course. Much better? Not sure about that. She would clog up the lane & that would take away from Collier & add another non 3 point threat to the lineup. Not sure she would be able to keep up with how we want to run in transition. She can block some shots but I’ve seen a few of her games, defense isn’t her strong suit. Depth & height would help but she wouldn’t guarantee us a championship by any means. I’d rather have 10-15 other players for our style of play.
:eek: but i guess if someone were trying twist @bbballfan23's words it might come out like it has above.

Reaction Score
but i guess if someone were trying twist @bbballfan23's words it might come out like it has above.[/QUOTE]

Gustafson is a sure fire first team AA & I know it’s not a popular opinion but I stand by it. It could definitely work but it could backfire. Thankfully we don’t have to guess. I like what we have!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
its 2019..... we name names in 2019

Remember Graig Nettles, the 3rd baseman for the Yankees in the late 70s? He was known as "puff" because he'd come into a situation, say something to rile things up then -- "puff" -- disappear, while the situation (usually) escalated, in part due to that comment.

So, you Blue Devil, "puff!" :D:rolleyes:;)

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Remember Graig Nettles, the 3rd baseman for the Yankees in the late 70s? He was known as "puff" because he'd come into a situation, say something to rile things up then -- "puff" -- disappear, while the situation (usually) escalated, due to that comment.

:p

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Seems like Charliebball was speaking of the time Gustafson was still in high school. Did some of you who are getting on him think she was UConn material when she was still in high school? It's easy to say she was good enough for UConn once she got to college and started showing her skills.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Seems like Charliebball was speaking of the time Gustafson was still in high school. Did some of you who are getting on him think she was UConn material when she was still in high school? It's easy to say she was good enough for UConn once she got to college and started showing her skills.
I'd be shocked if anyone can credibly claim that they were evaluating Megan Gustafson as a UCONN prospect coming out of HS.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if anyone can credibly claim that they were evaluating Megan Gustafson as a UCONN prospect coming out of HS.
They have done it with other players and continue to do it. I have read posts in which a player in high school was said not to be UConn material. Why not Gustafson?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They have done it with other players and continue to do it. I have read posts in which a player in high school was said not to be UConn material. Why not Gustafson?
Not disputing it has been said of many other players by many different posters. It was not, in my recollection, said of Gustafson because she was not interested in coming to UCONN and UCONN was not interested in recruiting her. Kalani Brown & Batouly Camara were the post players in that class offered by UCONN. BTW Jessica Shepard was the #1 post in that class and UCONN did not look at her either because she made it know early in the recruiting process that she was staying in state-Nebraska. If someone said Gustafson was not UCONN material I love to know who it was. The BY has a pretty good search feature.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
its 2019..... we name names in 2019

Charliebball said:
I can think of two:
2015 - Megan Gustafson - ESPN #80
2016 - Ruthy Hebard - ESPN #40

Name on response redacted:

"Both are good/great players for their respective teams.
I could also add several more post players to the list but here is the thing: UCONN is extremely demanding of its post players. @BobbyJ just gave us the example of Natalie Butler and I think Hebard and Gustafson would fall in the same category-Good player for other teams-limited impact at UCONN. Another example that comes to mind is Kiah Stokes."

Reaction Score
Charliebball said:
I can think of two:

I could also add several more post players to the list but here is the thing: UCONN is extremely demanding of its post players. @BobbyJ just gave us the example of Natalie Butler and I think Hebard and Gustafson would fall in the same category-Good player for other teams-limited impact at UCONN. Another example that comes to mind is Kiah Stokes."
You've got me mixed up with someone else. I didn't comment on any of these kids.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

If I recall correctly, she was the top player in Wisconsin her senior year.

Reaction Score
and remember that she was ranked #80 by ESPN in the 2015 recruiting class

North Tartan Summer Jam-June 2014: Strong, efficient low-post performer produces on both ends of the floor; defends, shot-blocking presence; mobile in uptempo; consistent left handed interior producer. (Olson)

And 12th at her position. Young lady was balling in Wisconsin!! She is a natural athlete. Plus she was a beast in track and field.

Reaction Score
Remember Graig Nettles, the 3rd baseman for the Yankees in the late 70s? He was known as "puff" because he'd come into a situation, say something to rile things up then -- "puff" -- disappear, while the situation (usually) escalated, in part due to that comment.

Pretty easy to rile things up with Billy, Thurmon and Reggie in the mix.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Charliebball said:
I can think of two:

:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom