Gunner Kiel KO'd | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gunner Kiel KO'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't care what part of Lanier's body hit Kiel's body. The kid went head hunting. He saw the QB sliding and launched himself like a missile. If you make the case that he couldn't pull up then someone tell me that's how Lanier tackles a runner in the open field.
Agreed. If he was trying to tackle Kiel, his arms would have been out in front. He was going for a big hit. By design, shoulder pads have multiple layers of padding and plastic, but uniforms are so tight, they compress the layers together, making the pads harder than the helmet itself.

Reaction Score
The Defender's head was down. It looked to me that he intended to lead with the crown of his helmet on a diving (not sliding) runner. Why was he celebrating in the first place? He gave up the first down!

Cuz he knocked the QB out of the game, and laid some wood to him. I don't know what he intended to do, playing at 500 MPH. I just know that he hit a guy who was running forward, in the field of play, and had just started sliding, at full speed, with his shoulder. That's not an illegal hit.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Cuz he knocked the QB out of the game, and laid some wood to him. I don't know what he intended to do, playing at 500 MPH. I just know that he hit a guy who was running forward, in the field of play, and had just started sliding, at full speed, with his shoulder. That's not an illegal hit.
No, not because the defender knocked the QB out of the game, but because his head was down, indicating that he could not see where he was going, and he made no attempt to wrap up.

Reaction Score
Ban QB slides when?

Never. Just adopt the NFL rule -- hit a sliding QB and it's 15 yards, but the QB is down when he begins his slide.

The only reason that the targeting foul was reversed was because they determined that Kiel's rear end hadn't hit the ground yet, so he couldn't be considered a "defenseless player". It was a head shot and a dirty play.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Never. Just adopt the NFL rule -- hit a sliding QB and it's 15 yards, but the QB is down when he begins his slide.

The only reason that the targeting foul was reversed was because they determined that Kiel's rear end hadn't hit the ground yet, so he couldn't be considered a "defenseless player". It was a head shot and a dirty play.
Thursday, Kiel was carted off the field after taking a legal hit to the side of the head from Tiger defensive back Chauncey Lanier. Lanier originally was called for targeting, which would have led to an ejection, but the call was reversed after review when it was determined he had led with his shoulder, not his helmet.

However, contrary to the article, there is a fine line between legal and clean. I believe it was a dirty play.

Reaction Score
leading with the shoulder is irrelevant when you target the head. the rule is designed to protect against a head shot, and does not require a helmet to helmet hit. it was a bad overturn.

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate