Gunner Kiel KO'd | The Boneyard

Gunner Kiel KO'd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Saw the replay. Looked helmet-to-helmet. Vicious hit.

Reaction Score
They are announcing that it was a clean hit. I did not see it, so I can't comment one way or the other. He was talking while the mets were putting him in the ambulance

Never like to see this, prayers for the young man.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It was dirty. Kiel was sliding. Memphis kid drilled him into the ground and Kiel's head snapped back and hit the turf. He wasn't ejected because he led with his shoulder but that doesn't excuse drilling a sliding QB.

Reaction Score
Nasty hit either way. This game could get ugly later.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Memphis kid was a former UConn commit who reneged on LOI day

Reaction Score
Kiel had a concussion last wk and was questionable for tonight. Dooley was right about the hit.

Reaction Score
Qbs almost always get hit when starting their slide and rarely gets called. Happened to BS last week too.

Unless your the Memphis player that dives on the Cindy qb a minute after he slid

Reaction Score
Cincy never misses a beat - always have a good offense regardless of QB or coach.

Reaction Score
I rescind my previous response. I saw a different angle than the attached video that looked more like a regular play. Lanier looked like a launched missle, headfirst in another angle that clearly snapped Kiels head back and violently to the ground. Kid shoulda been disqualified from the game for that. My bad folks.

Nevertheless, hoping and praying for Kiel to be ok and back on the field 100% when we play Cincy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since joining the BE, Cincy has developed into a well respected program. Not that I could remember did they have a "backslide" with the numerous coaching changes they've had since joining the BE/AAC.

They are the "ever ready bunny" of the conference.....the beat keeps on going, and often improving.

Reaction Score
Since joining the BE, Cincy has developed into a well respected program. Not that I could remember did they have a "backslide" with the numerous coaching changes they've had since joining the BE/AAC.

They are the "ever ready bunny" of the conference.....the beat keeps on going, and often improving.
When Butch Jones took over for Brian Kelly they had 1 hiccup of a season...and then it was back to it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It was a dirty play and Kiel may pay for it with his career.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's dirty. It was a late slide, the kid was coming from the side.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I'm in the minority, but that was a bang-bang play, and i don't see it as dirty. The defender had to commit to tackling at some point, went in below the head, and Kiel slid down towards him. There is a fine line with QBs sliding (and starting too late).

Reaction Score
Kiel had been injured the week before and during a national pregame show I heard while driving yesterday the hosts spoke of the high probability that he wouldn't be playing last night. There will be questions of whether he was fit to play, and with his prior week neck and shoulder injuries--whether running the ball was a wise move. I'm sure the media will have a few questions at the presser.

Reaction Score
I think Gunner didn't see or realize the closing speed of the defender. I'll admit the guy was out to put a hurting on him and hated the celebration. But not going down in time kept him in play, and once the guy launches it's too late to say he was down because frankly he was still going forward at that point. The game isn't played in super slo-mo the way we see it. It's a bad deal and I hope he's OK.

Reaction Score
Is it me...or does it seem like whenever a Cincy QB goes down...the next guy comes in and is as good or better? They seem to have an endless supply of quality QBs.
He passed for a school record in yards in a game. And he's only a freshman I believe.

Reaction Score
Two different angles:

I thought it was borderline. Kiel had started his slide, and the Memphis player led with his shoulder. Looked a lot dirtier because of the result, but even with Memphis's recent rep (bowl game brawl vs BYU), I don't the defender was headhunting (although his celebrating & dancing around while Kiel was on the ground was bad form).

Hope Kiel is OK. That was a vicious hit.

Reaction Score
BugsyCT when I saw that first angle you posted, I changed my tune.. Lanier went helmet to helmet in a bang bang play from that angle... The first angle I saw (your 2nd video post) looked normal, yet unfortunate. It definitely was a fast play, slo-mo replay shows way more. Fact remains is rules are rules, can't lead with your head like that...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't think it's dirty. It was a late slide, the kid was coming from the side.
The Defender's head was down. It looked to me that he intended to lead with the crown of his helmet on a diving (not sliding) runner. Why was he celebrating in the first place? He gave up the first down!

Reaction Score
I don't care what part of Lanier's body hit Kiel's body. The kid went head hunting. He saw the QB sliding and launched himself like a missile. If you make the case that he couldn't pull up then someone tell me that's how Lanier tackles a runner in the open field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom