Gum | The Boneyard

Gum

Reaction Score
Watching Diana Taurasi on bench: lose the gum. It's not a good look.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I prefer seeing how excited she was watching her team play so well down the stretch, having so much energy and desire for her team and feeling so well that she thinks she may get back in mid june (according to the announcers)

That is a very good look.

Reaction Score
Gum? Really? With all that's going on in the world.. you're worried about gum?? lol :p jk :p
Yeah, I am. I am tired of senior citizen coaches chomping on their gum on the sidelines. Same goes for players. I banned it on my teams when I saw players more intetested in chewing than playing. I believe UConn has similar rules. But mainly it just makes a person ugly. I'm not big on tats either, feeling the human body is perfect as it is, another UConn rule, but I can accept them--my daughter has dozens, my granddaughter two--but neither chew gum, all it took was showing a video of them chewing. Thete's a reason why in the movies if they want to show that a character is vacuous, they chew gum. But that's me. Just seeing Taurasi set me off. Just ignore me.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm old enough to remember when baseball players used to chew tobacco and spit that stuff everywhere. I also remember the sunflower seed fashion. Gum chewing seems rather benign to me in comparison. Besides, when I'm watching a game I'm a littlle more distracted by the athleticism of the players and the questionable coaching to note any gum chewing going on.

Reaction Score
DT is a natural speed freak. If she wasn't chewing gum in college, then she was chewing air, or her gums (something speed freaks do). She absolutely can't stand still, constantly shuffling her weight from one foot to the other (including during national anthem).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Chewing gum is better than Stephen Curry chewing his mouthguard ...

Reaction Score
yeah, well, no bubble gum, no bubble gum cards. many here of a particular age wouldn't step on a field or court without at least a couple of Bazooka or Double Bubble wads in our mouth. play a game without bubble gum? you can't be serious. I threw many a pitch just as I was blowing a bubble; talk about distracting the batter. your players couldn't chew AND play at the same time"?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My fifth grade teacher, Sr. Mary St. John, told the class that if we had to chew gum, do it in the privacy of the bedroom. I mostly heeded her advice, but about 25 years ago, when I finally decided to quit smoking, I bought a 10 or 12 pack of packs of gum. I chewed through one pack, and about a year later, threw the rest away. Haven't used either since. Ash trays smell terrible, but somehow, cigarette smoke still smells good.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Look no further than the boys of summer for the worst habits.

A step up from tobacco chew but ....

Reaction Score
I would have a rule if I was a coach - no gum chewing. Not because it looks bad, but because it's dangerous.

"...Then in January of 2015, I heard about Shanice Clark. She was a 21 year old senior athlete at California University of Pennsylvania. According to the coroner, she died from choking on gum. I did a little searching and found several cases of people who died that way.
I even checked with the International Chewing Gum Association (yes there really is such an organization) and they said, "As with any food product, chewing gum, in exceptional circumstances, can present a risk of choking for children and even adults."
What makes the choking problem so serious is that gum is flexible. If it gets stuck, unlike regular foods, gum tends to turn into a perfect block for your airway. When a vegetable gets lodged in your throat, you can use maneuvers like the Heimlich to force it out. But with gum, it hangs on and merely shifts it's shape to the various pressures. It's much harder to expel and is much more likely to be lethal. "

Reaction Score
LOL What a coincidence that so many of my grade school teachers are posting here. :D

Well, it's time for your comeuppance.

Can chewing gum improve your golf scores? - Golf Digest

Studies by the National Institutes of Health have shown that "a moderate dose of caffeine consumed before and during a round of golf improves golf-specific measures of performance and reduces fatigue." Results that are supported by Auburn University, which took the examination further, stating caffeine use can shave two strokes off one's handicap. The NIH also found that chewing gum was associated with enhanced productivity and reduced cognitive errors.

To those teachers who would stick it on a student's nose if caught and those who liked to say "did you bring enough for everyone?" I say
phooey on you !!!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I would have a rule if I was a coach - no gum chewing. Not because it looks bad, but because it's dangerous.

"...Then in January of 2015, I heard about Shanice Clark. She was a 21 year old senior athlete at California University of Pennsylvania. According to the coroner, she died from choking on gum. I did a little searching and found several cases of people who died that way.
I even checked with the International Chewing Gum Association (yes there really is such an organization) and they said, "As with any food product, chewing gum, in exceptional circumstances, can present a risk of choking for children and even adults."
What makes the choking problem so serious is that gum is flexible. If it gets stuck, unlike regular foods, gum tends to turn into a perfect block for your airway. When a vegetable gets lodged in your throat, you can use maneuvers like the Heimlich to force it out. But with gum, it hangs on and merely shifts it's shape to the various pressures. It's much harder to expel and is much more likely to be lethal. "
So let's compare stats. How many athletes die of heart attacks and/or heat exhaustion, or suffer serious life threatening concussions on the field of play or court every year as opposed to gum chewing. Let's just eliminate sports altogether.

Reaction Score
YIKES .... WE NOW HAVE GUM POLICE ????
No attack on the OP we all have our idiosyncrasies ..... some a bit beyond others...
But there could always be a underlying cause for some.... ;)
This reminds me of a song.................

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Please type an actual thread title. One word isn't a title.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I love Juicy Fruit.... but the flavor doesnt last too long.... you pretty much have to use perhaps 4-5 sticks to get 10 minutes worth of flavor.
Wrigleys-Juicy-Fruit-Gum.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom