OT: - Guitar question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Guitar question

Reaction Score
Here's what I can tell you. Yes, if you learn on an electric, you will then find an acoustic harder. Private lessons are great, online lessons are good, too. You will have to decide what your goals are. If you just want to have fun with yourself and play along to music, etc, online and TABs are fine. If you want to play with other people eventually and learn music theory and keys and all that, take private lessons, although you can find all that online, too. I did take lessons privately and found them very useful, especially concerning technique (fretting, strumming, picking, etc). But- the music theory part kind of leaves me cold- too much memorization. It's all very interesting, but I just can't memorize all that crap. There's a lot to learn- so good luck & have fun!

If you do choose acoustic, try to get something halfway decent- a cheap guitar is often harder to play.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here's my suggestions:
Guitars: Fender, Gibson, Ovation (acoustic/ electric), Epiphone, Gretsch, Ibanez
Amps: Fender, Behringer, Vox, Kustom, Peavey.

My next suggestion - go to a few area music stores. Explain your situation. Ask for recommendations. Look for string height off the finger board. The closer the strings to the finger board, the better. 15 watt amp is good enough to start with. You can always upgrade later. Ask if they give lessons. Learn to read the music!

Don't forget the extras - guitar strap, patch cords, picks, tuner, headphones, probably a music stand, guitar case, extra set of strings.

I started teaching myself starting at around 16. Had already been playing the trumpet since I was 10. Taught music in the public schools for 33 years in CT. Retired now. I play in a 15 piece swing band and an 8 piece backup band for Motown styles vocalists here in Florida. I'm the lead trumpet/ flugelhorn player. I have also filled in a few times on guitar and on bass. I have an Ovation, Fender acoustic 12 string (my favorite), an Epiphone Les Paul and an Ibanez bass.

Bottom line - purchase what works for you and enjoy the process of learning to play. For me it has been a lifelong process and I wouldn't change it at all. I haven't played this much since I was in college and I enjoy every moment - including practicing almost every day! BTW - my wife is also a musician and we have her grand piano (Mason Hamlin) in the music room along with her electric keyboard (Roland).

Where were you when I bought my Fender acoustic ten years ago? I tried to play it for quite a while, then gave up. My hands have big palms, shorter fingers, and that string height was a major issue for me. I couldn't get the consistent fret contact needed quickly enough or with light pressure. I need to sell the thing.

I'd love to try again with an instrument that works better for me, but I'm 52 and I doubt I have it in me.

Reaction Score
Where were you when I bought my Fender acoustic ten years ago? I tried to play it for quite a while, then gave up. My hands have big palms, shorter fingers, and that string height was a major issue for me. I couldn't get the consistent fret contact needed quickly enough or with light pressure. I need to sell the thing.

I'd love to try again with an instrument that works better for me, but I'm 52 and I doubt I have it in me.

Buy once you try them in a store....the better makes have a better factory set up (string height, intonation, etc)...you often get what you pay for but a good tech can set up your guitar to play well and more comfortably...

...and you might want to go with light or extra light strings rather than medium until you get used to fretting.

...folks will rave about the guitar they play but know little about strings....and the strings you play with will make a difference.

...light strings on an electric are smaller in diameter than light strings on an acoustic

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Where is August when you need him?

I got nothing on advice front except get the pedal Im using here. Its a panty dropper. No practice or experience or skill level needed just plug a guitar into and profit.

But seriously OP. Get a nice easy to play acoustic and learn to play on that. Most likely in 12 months the acoustic or the electric and amp are going to end up in a closet. See how far you go on acoustic before commiting to electric.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Here's a dumb question...

My wife is a lefty and has recently expressed interest in doodling with an acoustic. Does she need a left-handed guitar?

I'm a righty...would I be able to use her guitar?

Did Hendrix need a left-handed guitar?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I got nothing on advice front except get the pedal Im using here. Its a panty dropper. No practice or experience or skill level needed just plug a guitar into and profit.

But seriously OP. Get a nice easy to play acoustic and learn to play on that. Most likely in 12 months the acoustic or the electric and amp are going to end up in a closet. See how far you go on acoustic before commiting to electric.

My acoustic ended up in a closet for sure. Certainly wasn't "easy to play". I wondered if I should have a guitar tech work on that, but had no idea what it would cost.

August_West

Reaction Score
My acoustic ended up in a closet for sure. Certainly wasn't "easy to play". I wondered if I should have a guitar tech work on that, but had no idea what it would cost.

not that much.

100 bucks, maybe? not even.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
not that much.

100 bucks, maybe? not even.

Yeah, just seems a lot on guitar that's probably worth $250. Fender CD220S Asian Striped Ebony Dreadnought made in Korea.

August_West

Reaction Score
Please let me know when you can play this:

I can play it. the guy in the video cant though. :) There are shots where his finger positions are not what is actually being played/heard

August_West

Reaction Score
Yeah, just seems a lot on guitar that's probably worth $250. Fender CD220S Asian Striped Ebony Dreadnought made in Korea.
still worth it if it is able to be properly setup into an easily playable well intonated guitar. Price doesnt matter Ive played plenty of cheapos that are eminently playable after a proper setup. And Ive played a few that no matter what you do the poor assembly or neck issues make it not worth even trying.

A good tech would tell you that up front. Whether its worth being setup or not.

Reaction Score
I'd start with an electric because the lighter strings make it easier to play and you'll pay a lot less to get something decent. I've got 10 guitars, including some valuable vintage gear. I bought one of these Squires because I wanted an inexpensive "beater" guitar that wouldn't stress me out if it broke. It actually plays great, I use it all the time. Hate to sound like a cork sniffer but good luck finding a decent acoustic for anything near this price. Even with the cost of a cheap amp, you'll still pay less. And you really don't need one to start.

August_West

Reaction Score
Did Hendrix need a left-handed guitar?
Yes.

He strung it left handed. So even though it was a right handed guitar it was in fact strung and set up for a lefty

Reaction Score
For those of you who play hockey, the left/right thing is very similar to which way you hold a hockey stick -- however you first pick up and start playing becomes your dominate hand. Many lefties play guitar right handed although righties playing lefty is more rare. I think Hendrix may have been right handed or ambidextrous.

Agree with those who say go with an acoustic and don't spend alot. You don't need a $50 piece of crap but don't go crazy because like many things, self teaching takes alot of time and perseverance and can be frustrating if you can't commit or put in the time. If you can learn on a cheap guitar, you will soar when you start to upgrade your equipment.

I am 100% self taught but I started on bass guitar because when I hear music, I hear the bass line first. When I taught myself guitar, I worked on scales, then chords then just practiced by playing along with songs on CD's...

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Here's a dumb question...

My wife is a lefty and has recently expressed interest in doodling with an acoustic. Does she need a left-handed guitar?

I'm a righty...would I be able to use her guitar?

I'm left handed and my left hand works the frets with no problem. No need for a left-handed guitar.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Hawk - never doubt you have it in you. I live in a 55+ community in Florida and I have a couple of students who are past 65 and learning. So it can be done.

If you do decide to purchase another guitar and start up again, have a qualified guitar tech check the string height. The bridge that controls the height can always be shaved down to get the desired result. Once you have done a few, its not that hard.

BTW, Fender is a very good choice for an acoustic as is Yamaha, Ibanez and Epiphone. If you want to spend $500 to $650.00, go for a Martin.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I can play it. the guy in the video cant though. :) There are shots where his finger positions are not what is actually being played/heard
Of course he can play that!! He was filmed by the AV Club at E.O. Smith. They can't edit for squat.

UCONN. Great pick!!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hawk - never doubt you have it in you. I live in a 55+ community in Florida and I have a couple of students who are past 65 and learning. So it can be done.

If you do decide to purchase another guitar and start up again, have a qualified guitar tech check the string height. The bridge that controls the height can always be shaved down to get the desired result. Once you have done a few, its not that hard.

BTW, Fender is a very good choice for an acoustic as is Yamaha, Ibanez and Epiphone. If you want to spend $500 to $650.00, go for a Martin.

I've still got my Fender. Maybe I'll have a tech look at it.

Reaction Score
See if you can get a decent deal on ebay for a git. Then have a tech do a set up on it. Others have mentioned it, but Justinguitar.com is a great resource. It's free and there is a lot of material to follow along with and learn from. If your wife is a lefty and her guitar is set up for a lefty so that she is strumming with her left hand, you either need to learn to play lefty or learn to play righty upside down. It's not unheard of.. Doyle Bramhall II plays with a guitar strung upside down and he has played rhythm for Clapton and done his own solo stuff for years. Yes you can play bass riffs on a regular guitar. The bottom four strings of your guitar are the same notes as the bottom four strings of a bass guitar, but they are all an octave higher. So the notes and patterns would all be the same on both instruments, but when you play it on an actual bass, the notes will be at a lower pitch and sound more like a recording.

Reaction Score
See if you can get a decent deal on ebay for a git. Then have a tech do a set up on it. Others have mentioned it, but Justinguitar.com is a great resource. It's free and there is a lot of material to follow along with and learn from. If your wife is a lefty and her guitar is set up for a lefty so that she is strumming with her left hand, you either need to learn to play lefty or learn to play righty upside down. It's not unheard of.. Doyle Bramhall II plays with a guitar strung upside down and he has played rhythm for Clapton and done his own solo stuff for years. Yes you can play bass riffs on a regular guitar. The bottom four strings of your guitar are the same notes as the bottom four strings of a bass guitar, but they are all an octave higher. So the notes and patterns would all be the same on both instruments, but when you play it on an actual bass, the notes will be at a lower pitch and sound more like a recording.
"...you either need to learn to play lefty or learn to play righty upside down. It's not unheard of..."

Unheard of? No, but the guitar is not an easy instrument to learn. You think I came up with Hound Dog on the first take? If you're right handed, get a right handed guitar. You'll screw up enough while learning to play, why start with two strikes against you?

Reaction Score
I play mainly acoustic...but have an electric & amp.

There are available on line lessons that are pretty good. They have the advantage of allowing you to practice with instruction on your time schedule night or day. Google reviews of on line guitar lessons.

Beware....a guitar may become addictive. Buy too cheap and if you stick with it, you will just buy a better one...buy too expensive and lose heart, you will be out money.

Or you can go like me...just buy them as art objects (LOL) whether you need them to play or not...

Acoustics...Martin D28, Breedlove Concert Moonlight (Mahogany=Sitka), Breedlove Stage Concert (Rosewood-Sitka)...and a Michael Kelly hybrid elecric acoustic (spalted maple).
Addictive? You ever hear of GAS? Guitar acquisition syndrome. I have over 20. My favorite is my Gibson Bob Marley.

Reaction Score
Addictive? You ever hear of GAS? Guitar acquisition syndrome. I have over 20. My favorite is my Gibson Bob Marley.
Those custom shop Bob Marley Gibsons are very cool. I'm checking out a Gibson ES-335 I saw on Craigslist this week. Fat Elvis and GAS go hand and hand.

Reaction Score

I used to have several on hand and have been through a great many. One of the best things I ever did was sell them all and keep my two best. Then my kids came along and I sold my best. Some people buy boutique guitars, and I've tried a lot of them but found most of them well overhyped. A few of those guys were consistent and produced good stuff, but some of the most hyped guys just produced dreck and sold it for many thousands. My guitar tech and I would marvel over some of it.

Years ago, EBAY used to provide a huge discount through Microsoft and I used it to try out a lot of amps and guitars. 30% cashback that you could use to buy items on EBAY (they called this EBAY Bucks). I just kept rolling one guitar or one amp into another and never lost money, and I sold things fast because I always listed just below what I bought them for. So--I went through like 40 or 50 of each. I sold my expensive guitars but kept one of my favorite amps, which I refuse to relinquish though it is now way too much amp since I last played out over a decade ago.

Reaction Score
I used to have several on hand and have been through a great many. One of the best things I ever did was sell them all and keep my two best. Then my kids came along and I sold my best. Some people buy boutique guitars, and I've tried a lot of them but found most of them well overhyped. A few of those guys were consistent and produced good stuff, but some of the most hyped guys just produced dreck and sold it for many thousands. My guitar tech and I would marvel over some of it.

Years ago, EBAY used to provide a huge discount through Microsoft and I used it to try out a lot of amps and guitars. 30% cashback that you could use to buy items on EBAY (they called this EBAY Bucks). I just kept rolling one guitar or one amp into another and never lost money, and I sold things fast because I always listed just below what I bought them for. So--I went through like 40 or 50 of each. I sold my expensive guitars but kept one of my favorite amps, which I refuse to relinquish though it is now way too much amp since I last played out over a decade ago.
I'm more than a little envious. But this all begs the question, what were those two best guitars your kids sold?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom