Guesses on tickets sales drop... | The Boneyard

Guesses on tickets sales drop...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hello all Uconn Fans from Men's Basketball Team!
I am a grad student from Uconn very much interested in why we have less people going to the men's games than we had in 2004 (from more than 13.000 to about 10.000 on average for the home games only).
I have my guess, but I thought that the fans might have an interesting point of view about that! Would you like to share it?
Ah, this is not a research!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
level of competition has diminished and rivalries have been lost

we've also been suffering through an extended period of economic malaise, especially in the great State of Connecticut

Reaction Score
Not really sure what other answers besides the conference and the fact that most of the teams in recent years haven't been as dominant as in the 90's/early 2000's even despite the 2 recent championships.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Not research but you have a post on the Football board asking people if they'll wear some sort of device during games next year? For research?!

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Tulane, East Carolina, Central Florida, South Florida doesn't have the same buzz as Villanova, Georgetown, Providence and Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
There's probably a pretty good correlation between conference win percentage over a lagging period of time and attendance. Throw out sold out games (or extrapolate demand), account for venue, pre-season rankings, current rankings, weather, inflation-adjusted prices, ticket distribution method, and you probably have the basis for a pretty good predictive model.

Reaction Score
Because they don't have the best hot dog,seafood,hamburger,pizza,donuts,bagels, you get the picture

Reaction Score
I don't think the opponents are the big problem (At least on the mens side). I believe that the big problem with attendance is that for the past couple of years UConn hasn't played great in the regular season. If they were a constant top 25 team people would show up no matter the opponent.

For the women. There is no completion is this league besides USF and they still seem to blow them out by more than 20pts. People don't want to spend money on games where they already know what the outcome will be.

Reaction Score
Now that you've asked this question I can only assume one of three things:

1) you know nothing about basketball and the role that playing quality teams/rivalries play in attendance.

2) you're completely blind to the proliferation of media outlets that fans have access to for viewing games. These channels offer a much better viewing experience than a live event. Many sports are facing this challenge.

3) you can't be in a uconn grad program with a question like this.

Reaction Score

1) you know nothing about basketball and the role that playing quality teams/rivalries play in attendance.

2) you're completely blind to the proliferation of media outlets that fans have access to for viewing games. These channels offer a much better viewing experience than a live event. Many sports are facing this challenge.

She explicitly said that she knows what she thinks but wanted to see what fans said. I realize that people here are asshats in general, but if you think the thread is stupid you can just move on.

The reality is there are multiple reasons, and I'm sure she knew what they were, but wanted to see what people responded with.

Reaction Score
She explicitly said that she knows what she thinks but wanted to see what fans said. I realize that people here are asshats in general, but if you think the thread is stupid you can just move on.
You can also blow me

Reaction Score
If Northbound has been at any games recently, that could be another reason.

I don't know I've had season tickets since the early 80's and they keep taking my money so I guess that's not it.

I'll do what I want, you do what you want. You're the type of guys hay like to hold the iron hammer of the internet - good for you man here's a golf clap.

Good god the internet police.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Not enough big games at XL in this conference. Gampel only holds 10k. XL holds 16k hard to average over 10k without selling out the XL more often and these opponents aren't going to cut it. Not saying I want all big name opponents there but the only way average attendance increases is fans showing up in Hartford.

Reaction Score

Well that was a real positive and constructive Response.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It's all been covered but here's my list, not necessarily in any particular order, the lack of conference rivalries, overall lack of competition compared to the old Big East, last year's team did not come in with the same high expectations of other UConn teams in the past, and the lack of disposable income by many due to the economy in Connecticut.

I've shared season tickets for quite some time now, but it was simply hard to get excited about many of the teams that came to Connecticut to play UConn. Our conference schedule is a far cry from the days of having Georgetown, Syracuse, Louisville, Villanova, st. Johns, Marquette, Cincinnati, Providence, Boston College, etc. I realize that st. John's has been down for a number of years , and that there's not a lot of respect for BC and Providence, but even during down years those three schools provided a lot of drama and excitement when we played them. It's funny, that when you hate a team, it brings out a certain level of energy, compared to being apathetic about many nondescript teams that we have very little history with. It's just hard to get excited about Tulane, South Florida, East Carolina, Central Florida, Tulsa, Houston, etc, teams that we have very little history with and that are mediocre at best.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I don't know I've had season tickets since the early 80's and they keep taking my money so I guess that's not it.

I'll do what I want, you do what you want. You're the type of guys hay like to hold the iron hammer of the internet - good for you man here's a golf clap.

Good god the internet police.

You and Gabriela seem to have something in common: English isn't your first language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom