Guess Who Is Considered the 4th Best Player in 2024 WNBA Draft | The Boneyard

Guess Who Is Considered the 4th Best Player in 2024 WNBA Draft

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In my inbox this morning was an email from The Next, a blog of sorts on Women's Basketball. It was an article by a reporter named Em Adler about the lottery draft order, which will be decided later this afternoon. She was dishing about who the four lottery picks would be, and in what order.

She said that the four top players in the 2024 draft, in the opinion of WNBA scouts with whom she has had off-the-record conversations, are Caitlin Clark, some guard named Paige who isn't expected even to be in the draft, Cameron Brink, and then ... Aaliyah Edwards! The consensus opinion ranks Aaliyah higher than Kamila Cardoso and Rickea Jackson.

This surprised me, since I had thought of Aaliyah as a pick in the 6th to 9th slot of the first round (and I was hoping that Minnesota would get her).

The article suggests that she may be headed to "UConn West" in Seattle. I think she might be more successful at UConn Midwest in the Twin Cities.

The article notes that Caitlin and even Brink, as well as Paige, may opt for another year of college, in which case Aaliyah might be drafted even higher than #4.

Reaction Score
I'll very surprised if Clark and Brink don't enter. Also, I'm surprised that Reese isn't on that list.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Draft will be speculation all season long until we know who is coming out and who is staying.

I think there will be surprises for both categories.

Reaction Score
Draft will be speculation all season long until we know who is coming out and who is staying.

I think there will be surprises for both categories.
Could someone remind me of the rules for declaring for the WNBA draft? I believe (but am not sure) that the only players who have to formally declare are those who have some remaining college eligibility (i.e., Covid year or redshirt year), and they must do so by a certain date unless their team is still playing, in which case they have 48 hours after their season is concluded to declare. They have up to a couple of days before the draft to change their minds and return to their team or enter the portal.

I have no idea what rules apply to overseas players who are not currently competing in NCAA programs.

Do I understand this anywhere near correctly?

Thanks in advance to whoever can clarify this for me.

Reaction Score
In my inbox this morning was an email from The Next, a blog of sorts on Women's Basketball. It was an article by a reporter named Em Adler about the lottery draft order, which will be decided later this afternoon. She was dishing about who the four lottery picks would be, and in what order.

She said that the four top players in the 2024 draft, in the opinion of WNBA scouts with whom she has had off-the-record conversations, are Caitlin Clark, some guard named Paige who isn't expected even to be in the draft, Cameron Brink, and then ... Aaliyah Edwards! The consensus opinion ranks Aaliyah higher than Kamila Cardoso and Rickea Jackson.

This surprised me, since I had thought of Aaliyah as a pick in the 6th to 9th slot of the first round (and I was hoping that Minnesota would get her).

The article suggests that she may be headed to "UConn West" in Seattle. I think she might be more successful at UConn Midwest in the Twin Cities.

The article notes that Caitlin and even Brink, as well as Paige, may opt for another year of college, in which case Aaliyah might be drafted even higher than #4.
Those top players you mention are collecting high NIL. The old emphasis of Money is no loner a motivative to go Pro as a senior.
I was hoping the Pros saw the Pro player Griffin really has become.

Reaction Score
Those top players you mention are collecting high NIL. The old emphasis of Money is no loner a motivative to go Pro as a senior.
Edwards is not eligible to receive NIL, she is on an academic visa, and is not allowed to earn money. Of course, there are ways around this, but for the most part, all international students cannot earn NIL.

Reaction Score
Griffin?

Reaction Score
Edwards is not eligible to receive NIL, she is on an academic visa, and is not allowed to earn money. Of course, there are ways around this, but for the most part, all international students cannot earn NIL.
Nope that was an early interpretation that has not proven to be true.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
When Lou was drafted 6th I thought: Wow, there is a thinker or two separating from the herd. Here is more evidence perhaps.

Reaction Score

Minnesota already has a pretty good player at the 4. Someone named Napheesa Collier.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Minnesota already has a pretty good player at the 4. Someone named Napheesa Collier.
Actually, Napheesa has been playing the "3" for Minnesota, with Jessica Shepherd at the "4". Pheesa's 3-point shot is much better than it was at UConn.

My fantasy is that the Lynx take Aaliyah in the first round of the 2024 draft, Aubrey in the second round, and Nika in the 3rd round. Then, at some point during the season, they could put the following lineup on the floor:

PG: Nika Muhl
SG: Aubrey Griffin (also needs to improve her jump shot)
Wing: Napheesa Collier
PF: Aaliyah Edwards
C: Dorka Juhasz

It probably won't happen.

Reaction Score
UConn fan or not Edwards is not the fourth best pro prospect if everyone who can come out does come out.
Absolutely. The assumption of this thread is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Actually, Napheesa has been playing the "3" for Minnesota, with Jessica Shepherd at the "4". Pheesa's 3-point shot is much better than it was at UConn.

My fantasy is that the Lynx take Aaliyah in the first round of the 2024 draft, Aubrey in the second round, and Nika in the 3rd round. Then, at some point during the season, they could put the following lineup on the floor:

PG: Nika Muhl
SG: Aubrey Griffin (also needs to improve her jump shot)
Wing: Napheesa Collier
PF: Aaliyah Edwards
C: Dorka Juhasz

It probably won't happen.
Shepherd hardly played this past season, and when she did she split time at the five with Dorka.

Reaction Score
Nice to see Edwards get the early draft pic, but unless she ups her game this year, I don't see it. She is consistently inconsistent right now!

Reaction Score

With Paige's injury history, along with her NIL success, it would be wise for her to stay an additional year, and let UConn pay for her Masters degree. One can never get too much education, and NIL has changed the rules (relax: I don't mean literally) as to having the need to make some money.

Reaction Score

Not too surprising. Look at the load she is asked to carry at UConn and how well she has handled it. She also has a great pro athlete body and can still run the floor with anyone.

Reaction Score
Reese will go somewhere in the first round. But her skill set is not a perfect match for the W. She has weak handles, is undersized as a pure post player, and has very limited range on her shot. She’s quick for a 5 but not for the 4 spot. What she does have is strong hands and great tenacity and those can carry her pretty far. I wonder if she has the temperament to be a low level rotation player.

Reaction Score
I just love hearing the experts saying "This is the deepest draft in WNBA history." I am like, how is this the deepest draft. We only know a few players (Kitley, Sheldon, and Osbourne. I am sure I am forgetting a lot of players) that are coming out? Plus, there are players overseas that could be drafted.

Whichever players that declare for the draft in 2024, I just hope that whatever team they go to, they get some quality playing time. Just hate to see so much potential talent just sitting on the bench only getting 3-8 minutes a game. Then they go overseas and just play lights out.

Reaction Score
I just love hearing the experts saying "This is the deepest draft in WNBA history." I am like, how is this the deepest draft. We only know a few players (Kitley, Sheldon, and Osbourne. I am sure I am forgetting a lot of players) that are coming out? Plus, there are players overseas that could be drafted.

Whichever players that declare for the draft in 2024, I just hope that whatever team they go to, they get some quality playing time. Just hate to see so much potential talent just sitting on the bench only getting 3-8 minutes a game. Then they go overseas and just play lights out.

I think a lot of WNBA elite rookie players experience the same thing top HS players do when they come to UConn. Everything is faster and the systems are more complex. They struggle in practice. Over the years the common thing said by W coaches about 1st year UConn players is that they practice like pros. I think the reason some marginal players end up on rosters is because they are useful in practice.

Reaction Score
Nice to see Edwards get the early draft pic, but unless she ups her game this year, I don't see it. She is consistently inconsistent right now!
It doesn't help that she's usually the only big playing for Uconn.

Reaction Score
bovwa- - -IMHO Reese's game doesn't transfer well with the WNBA!
Yup. At her size she needs to be able to score from further than 5 ft from the rim. She has always struggled against bigger posts and that’s all she’d see in the W.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I thought Connecticut Sun Head Coach Steph White, during her off-season gig as a Women's College commentator for ESPN, made a pretty straight-forward analysis of drafting strategy in the W: For the lottery teams, you take the top talent (if there's four of them); after that, you draft/deal for need.

If -- and that's a big if -- all the players who can come out do, you've got Clark, Brink, Bueckers and Edwards for immediate plug and play. Personally, I think Reese, as mentioned, needs to develop a jumper and/or get stronger to survive in the W's paint, while Cardoso could use some acclimation. Right now, none of us (or most of the authors of the mock drafts) know what the Fab Four will do (save Edwards, perhaps), so we'll be paying rapt attention to reports right through that 48-hour window after the NCAA Title Game. And GM's will be working on multiple contingency plans and simulation exercises.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom