Guess at the 2020-21 two deep depth chart | The Boneyard

Guess at the 2020-21 two deep depth chart

Reaction Score
This is for the start of the season (whenever that may be).
Assumes no Akok at that point. We still have an open scholarship and Martin sitting out. Starters listed first.

PG --RJ Cole, Gaffney

SG --Bouk, B. Adams

SF --Jackson, Polley

PF --Whalley, Springs

C --Carlton, Brown-Ferguson

Reaction Score
This is for the start of the season (whenever that may be).
Assumes no Akok at that point. We still have an open scholarship and Martin sitting out. Starters listed first.

PG --RJ Cole, Gaffney

SG --Bouk, B. Adams

SF --Jackson, Polley

PF --Whalley, Springs

C --Carlton, Brown-Ferguson
Really meaningless at this point.
Polley will play some 4 , Whaley ,5, Gaffney 2 , Bouknight 3
Adams anywhere he is needed.
Its a very versatile group. The only players probably not interchangeable are Carlton and maybe Cole.

Reaction Score
Doesn't really lend itself to a 2 deep because I think our starting 2 will be the backup PG

Cole, Gaffney, Bouknight, Martin, Whaley

Jackson, Polley, Carlton, Adams main guys off the bench with whoever has the hot hand between Javonte Brown Ferguson/Springs that day

Reaction Score
I mostly agree, except that I don't see Cole as a pure point, pass first guard, and when playing with J.G. in the game, he might not be the point. So maybe just Carlton as the only non-interchangeable.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Cole-Gaffney
Bouk-Adams
Polley-Jackson
Whaley-Jackson
Carlton-Springs

Nobody wants it, but it's gonna happen.

Reaction Score
i'm back to thinking the transfer rule passes, so:

cole (25)-gaffney (20)
bouk (30)-adams (10)
martin (25)-jackson (15)
whaley (25)-polley (20)
carlton (20)-springs (10)

i think these are reasonable expectations:
1. carlton loses ~15 lbs dieting. at 6'10 245 he can play like he did as a sophomore.
2. springs grows ~1" and gains ~5 lbs. at 6'10 225 he can play C.
3. poppers keeps working on his jumper so he can play PF (he has to if we get sanogo).
4. polley gains ~5 lbs rehabbing. at 6'9 210 he can play stretch 4.
5. martin is a better shooter than jackson for now. can't have three non-shooters in the lineup.
6. both PGs wont start b/c it preserves depth and simplifies the deep wing rotation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We don’t know if Martin will be able to play immediately or not yet.

Reaction Score
I'll do it by minutes. I'm going to max guys out at 25 except Bouk--I believe I've heard that's Hurley idea number if he has depth.

PG: Cole (25), Gaffney (15)
SG: Bouk (25), Gaffney (5), Adams (10)
SF: Martin (5), Bouk (5) Jackson (15), Adams (5), Polley (10)
PF: Springs (10), Martin (15), Polley (10)
C: Whaley (20), Carlton (15), Springs (5)

Javonte Brown Ferguson--garbage time.

I think those first 5 are our starting 5. at the under 16:00 Gaffney/Adams/Polley comes in for Cole/Martin/Springs. If Springs isn't as good as I hope, we'll have to interchange Martin/Polley to start at the 3/4.

IMO Springs development and ability to play the 4 will take us from a decent team to a very good one. Kind of an x-factor. I think we end up going with 3 wings instead of a traditional 4 because of the talent logjam at the 2/3. except if Springs is in the game.

Reaction Score
Are we all assuming that Cole starts over Gaffney? The way Gaffney emerged, I'm thinking he should start.
maybe it's just me, but seems like most folks are holding out hope that cole will be a top 4 or 5 PG in the big east after zegarowski, mcknight, and gillespie. of course whether or not that's true remains to be seen....

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Since Dan sees Richie as a 4,

Cole-Gaffney
Bouknight-Adams
Polley-Jackson
Martin-Springs
Whaley-Carlton

Reaction Score
Since Dan sees Richie as a 4,

Cole-Gaffney
Bouknight-Adams
Polley-Jackson
Martin-Springs
Whaley-Carlton

I think this team may go as far as Richie goes this year in some ways. We have a glaring hole at the 4, and he's our only option that is a true 4-man. Being able to role out a legit, skilled 6'10 220lb 4 might put us in top 25 conversations.

Richie is probably a tough one to predict his play for the coaches. He seems to be a 4/5 tweener from everything I've seen and heard. Is he going to be good but not great at everything? Or will the lack of any one specialty mean he isn't good enough to play at all? Would a year at Brewster have helped his development, or did the time with assistant coaches and Sal develop his skill set? A lot of question marks.

There also just aren't a lot of highlights on him. From what I've heard he's a rim runner without much back to the basket skill. Seems to have a left and right hand at the rim. Fantastic rebounder, great at putbacks. Developing a jump shot and face up game more than back to the basket. Hurley praised his athleticism, but I wouldn't call him above average really.

Taking advantage of his size on offense, and limiting opponents probably having quicker/smaller guys at the 4 most nights will be a big job for Hurley and the staff.

Reaction Score
Doesn't really lend itself to a 2 deep because I think our starting 2 will be the backup PG

Cole, Gaffney, Bouknight, Martin, Whaley

Jackson, Polley, Carlton, Adams main guys off the bench with whoever has the hot hand between Javonte Brown Ferguson/Springs that day

I think Martin and Jackson start at the 3/4 or Jackson starts at the 4 over Martin.

Reaction Score
I think Martin and Jackson start at the 3/4 or Jackson starts at the 4 over Martin.
I could see that being the lineup by the end of the season or to close games, but I have a feeling Jackson will be on the Bouknight/Gaffney path and comes off the bench to start the year. Either way we have lots of options

Reaction Score
I could see that being the lineup by the end of the season or to close games, but I have a feeling Jackson will be on the Bouknight/Gaffney path and comes off the bench to start the year. Either way we have lots of options

Maybe. I just think Jackson is the most Hurley type player on the roster. He’s everything Hurley loves in a player. I think the starting 5 is either Cole, Gaffney, Bouk, Jackson, Whaley or Cole, Bouk, Martin, Jackson, Whaley.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think this team may go as far as Richie goes this year in some ways. We have a glaring hole at the 4, and he's our only option that is a true 4-man. Being able to role out a legit, skilled 6'10 220lb 4 might put us in top 25 conversations.

Richie is probably a tough one to predict his play for the coaches. He seems to be a 4/5 tweener from everything I've seen and heard. Is he going to be good but not great at everything? Or will the lack of any one specialty mean he isn't good enough to play at all? Would a year at Brewster have helped his development, or did the time with assistant coaches and Sal develop his skill set? A lot of question marks.

There also just aren't a lot of highlights on him. From what I've heard he's a rim runner without much back to the basket skill. Seems to have a left and right hand at the rim. Fantastic rebounder, great at putbacks. Developing a jump shot and face up game more than back to the basket. Hurley praised his athleticism, but I wouldn't call him above average really.

Taking advantage of his size on offense, and limiting opponents probably having quicker/smaller guys at the 4 most nights will be a big job for Hurley and the staff.

He's the only guy on the roster that feels impossible to project with any certainty. If Martin is eligible, I think his ability to rebound makes him an ideal small 4, with the ability to go bigger with Springs depending on the match-up. If Polley is healthy he needs to start for his floor spacing, and low usg/high efficiency scoring. This is also good because we can bring Springs along at his own pace.

Reaction Score
at 6'6 195 i'm skeptical AJ can play stretch 4. Martin has 10 more lbs of muscle at least. if polley can bulk up while rehabbing and come back around 6'9 210 then i'd rather him play stretch 4 instead of jackson too.
Creighton won the Big East last year starting a 4 and 5 who were 6'7 205 and 6'5 200

Reaction Score
maybe it's just me, but seems like most folks are holding out hope that cole will be a top 4 or 5 PG in the big east after zegarowski, mcknight, and gillespie. of course whether or not that's true remains to be seen....
McKnight has no more eligibility.

Reaction Score
i'm not talking about AJ in a vacuum i'm comparing AJ to martin and polley, both of whom are significantly bigger than AJ. so why would AJ play the 4 while the bigger guys play the 3?

as i said, martin has 10 lbs of muscle on AJ and polley has 3" and hopefully ~15 lbs on him.
I can't keep up with your posts because there's always edits. That's a different argument than what I thought I was replying to which was just Jackson's ability to play the 4

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Basketball teams typically have a rotation of about 8 players. A true 2-deep in basketball
Really meaningless at this point.
Polley will play some 4 , Whaley ,5, Gaffney 2 , Bouknight 3
Adams anywhere he is needed.
Its a very versatile group. The only players probably not interchangeable are Carlton and maybe Cole.
It's meaningless regardless. Typical basketball rotations have about 8 players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom