Guarding Hopkins | The Boneyard

Guarding Hopkins

Reaction Score
Given what happened last game with AK guarding Hopkins and the huge game Hopkins had, I would think Hurley would have to make the switch of Jackson on Hopkins.

With this said, with the 3 guard lineup of Providence, what does this mean for AK? Do we start a 3 guard lineup to counter?

Reaction Score
I think with Hopkins you have to show him different looks.

Start with AK.

Heavy dose of Jackson.

Zone with double bigs.

Johnson if foul trouble.

Quick film review shows that Hopkins loves to drive to the right. AK and Jackson need to force him left all day.

Reaction Score
Switching defenders isn't the only, or even the best option to guard an elite driver. Early, aggressive help can be just as effective. I wouldn't mind switching Jackson onto him in, but I wouldn't use it as a primary defense. Karaban is a much better defender than he was 6 weeks ago.

Reaction Score
Whether it's AK or AJ that takes him, they'll need help. I think they need to send Bynum's man to help. Bynum hasn't shot well at all. I'd almost treat him like other teams treat AJ.

Hopkins is a good shooter, but I think I'll take my chances if they can reduce him to a jumpshooter and keep him out of the paint.

Reaction Score
Switching defenders isn't the only, or even the best option to guard an elite driver. Early, aggressive help can be just as effective. I wouldn't mind switching Jackson onto him in, but I wouldn't use it as a primary defense. Karaban is a much better defender than he was 6 weeks ago.
Yes - but I would also throw a weak side double at him just to make him give it up and absolutely make someone else beat you.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I hate to say it but sometimes a bit of his own medicine helps. The old Dan Cyrulik move of hip checking him into the cheerleaders. Knock him down hard early in the game. Alex drawing an early charge would also help. Jackson isn’t strong enough really, and would need to deny him the ball. That could be disruptive for a bit. All of those are ways to force PC away from what it wants to do.

Reaction Score
Mixing up defenders could take him out of his preferred action on occasion.. Help D will be huge.. Pressuring their offense into late shot clock scenarios will help bring down FG percentages..

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I hate to say it but sometimes a bit of his own medicine helps. The old Dan Cyrulik move of hip checking him into the cheerleaders. Knock him down hard early in the game. Alex drawing an early charge would also help. Jackson isn’t strong enough really, and would need to deny him the ball. That could be disruptive for a bit. All of those are ways to force PC away from what it wants to do.
Attack him on offense early and often, force him to defend, try to get him in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
AJ needs to lock him down we are in man. Though, I think going big in a zone would take away penetration and force a lot of bad interior shots.

Reaction Score
Given what happened last game with AK guarding Hopkins and the huge game Hopkins had, I would think Hurley would have to make the switch of Jackson on Hopkins.
Jackson needs to guard Carter for the most part, we really don't have anyone else that matches up great with him. I think AK will be fine he's D has drastically improved since the last time we played them. Hopkins loves to lower his shoulder and AK is well aware of that so I'm hoping he can draw a couple charges to take Hopkins out of his game.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
AJ needs to lock him down we are in man. Though, I think going big in a zone would take away penetration and force a lot of bad interior shots.
Hopkins would bulldoze Andre even more than he does Alex. Jackson's only hope is fronting him and denying him the ball. As @husky429 quick doubles with a guard that can strip him of the ball would be effective. I'm not sure how good a passer he is. Essentially what teams often do to Adama.

Reaction Score
Attack him on offense early and often, force him to defend, try to get him in foul trouble.

Not sure Karaban really has the first step and footwork to draw a lot of fouls on the drive.

Wonder if we should try to get Hopkins double-teaming Clingan/Sanogo and try to draw fouls through them.

Reaction Score
Hopkins would bulldoze Andre even more than he does Alex. Jackson's only hope is fronting him and denying him the ball. As @husky429 quick doubles with a guard that can strip him of the ball would be effective. I'm not sure how good a passer he is. Essentially what teams often do to Adama.

This.

One of the reasons I don't love forcing baseline all the time is because it makes a quick double much more difficult. I don't think we're going to see us totally change our man defense tonight... so we'll need to have practiced pretty carefully and done a solid scout to stop him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thought this was going to be a thread about some artsy fartsy movie. Seems like the name of a limited release film festival movie title.

Kinda bummed it's about basketball.

Reaction Score
The Devin Carter defending Hawk is going to be another equally compelling storyline to this game

Reaction Score
going zone can definitely help, but they better make sure they keep Croswell off the offensive boards. Playing zone usually yields offensive rebounds since the defenders are not assigned to a man to box out.

Reaction Score
The Devin Carter defending Hawk is going to be another equally compelling storyline to this game
Devin Carter is a baller and a very good defender. However, he and Breed were mugging Hawkins in the first game. Solid screens will need to be set, not moving screens.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Love it when a poster casually mentions Dan Cyrulik.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I'd buy him a bunch of $2 Miller Lites before the game starts.

Reaction Score
will be interesting to see how AK does. I still firmly believe Hurley intentionally let him take his bumps and bruises during the first half of the conference schedule to set the level and force him to toughen up for the back half. I think AK has responded well. On the offensive side, would like to see him attack Hopkins as well. Doesn't have to be a one way battle all game. Put a couple fouls on Hopkins and put him on the bench like any other team. PC is going to crash into people in the paint looking for foul calls. If the refs are gonna call it, do it back.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Love it when a poster casually mentions Dan Cyrulik.
I will always remember the way Calhoun would bring him off the bench to wreck anybody who was going off on us. I'm not sure basketball allows that now with modern flagrants, but it was a message that it wasn't going to come that easy. Getting to the rim meant enduring some pain.

Reaction Score
Focusing on how to stop Hopkins completely misses what Providence is all about even though he torched us last time. If Hurley focuses on stopping Hopkins, someone else on that team will beat us. They’re not a one-dimensional team that relies on one or 2 players to beat the opposition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom