Guarding Caitlin | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Guarding Caitlin

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Nika should pick Caitlin up at half court and bug the hell out of her. Closer to the basket, the switching defense will come into play.

Trying to absolutely shut her down may be counterproductive. As the saying goes, there’s a fine line between perfection and crap.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
This could be quite a track meet...with both teams playing their game...transition basketball

Reaction Score
Whether the decision has been made by the staff or not it seemed in the press conference Williams certainly expected to start on Clark and was looking forward to the assignment. As I said elsewhere, I would be very surprised if that didn’t happen.

Reaction Score
Nika should pick Caitlin up at half court and bug the hell out of her. Closer to the basket, the switching defense will come into play.

Trying to absolutely shut her down may be counterproductive. As the saying goes, there’s a fine line between perfection and crap.
Nika will likely factor into Geno's plans but having two bigs in game most of time gives UConn the ability to keep one up high on defense. Iowa will get their points but will be difficult for them to keep Edwards off offensive boards and outscore the Huskies.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
There could be a lot of bumping guarding Caitlin while she brings the ball up. The officials could play a huge role in this game. Lets hope they let them play. It would be a huge catastrophe for WBB if they messed this up since there will be an audience of hundreds of thousands of non womens basketball fans tuning in, even mens fans that are waiting for those games to begin. They cannot afford to screw this up. I hope the NCAA can pass this on to the game officials. Dee Kantner, this means you!

Reaction Score
I've watched a few Iowa games in prep for tomorrow and we will not stop Clark from going for 20. But we need to keep her from going for 25 and a load of assists and limit her shooting percentage and this is how I see it:

1. Sounds weird but if you can't stop her from penetrating, then you better let her shoot threes instead. You cannot let her penetrate all day long. Of course, defend the threes, but I still think she is more dangerous as a penetrator and distributor.

2. Keep the ball out of her hands. Sounds simple but not very easy. Need to face guard her at all times as soon as the ball goes through the nets. NM is best for this but will she be ready with her ankle. Does AG get more time?

3. A good defense is a good offense. If we make shots, we can organise the defense better and have a much better chance of slowing her down.

Strategy:

1. I think our best bet is to put PB on her. I would guess Clark will may be on PB as well. I don't think we need to 'protect' PB from foul trouble or getting 'tired'. The only way Iowa wins is if Clark has a big game - 25 plus and a bushel of assists that turn into 3s. Even then, we can win. If PB has an ok offensive game, we can still win. The difference is that Clark need a big game for them to win. So for me, I'd have PB on her a lot and some NM if she is healthy and then AG on her the entire time she plays which would be maybe 10-12 minutes (I'd have her play more more but the HOF coach doesn't agree.). So then that leaves PB and NM approximately 28-30 minutes to guard Clark with some help if others are watching with one eye. That is doable.

2. We can change things up so as not to have one player on her the entire game. I like NM on her if she is healthy. Plus she has some fouls to use. In any case, the other defenders need to be cognizant of Clark and penetration and be ready to help, even if that means jumping to help too soon and leaving another man open for the jumper.

2. Could go zone or box and one but UCONN doesn't do that much, so forget that.

3. Could rotate CW and EW on her but I think that is a bad recipe for us. However, I think GA may go with CW on her. I think that is a mistake. Feel free to call me all the names in the book, but CW (or even EW) on Clark for any extended minutes is a disaster waiting to happen. Maybe a possession or two per half but that is it.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
One aspect of the strategy which no one has mentioned is to make Caitlin work hard at the defensive end, and hopefully get her in foul trouble -- but at least make her expend energy at that end. If Christyn or Paige can drive on her and draw one or two blocking calls, that would be a major benefit to UConn. If she plays soft defense to avoid fouls, then she may give up as many points at the defensive end as she scores at the offensive end.

Reaction Score
There could be a lot of bumping guarding Caitlin while she brings the ball up. The officials could play a huge role in this game. Lets hope they let them play. It would be a huge catastrophe for WBB if they messed this up since there will be an audience of hundreds of thousands of non womens basketball fans tuning in, even mens fans that are waiting for those games to begin. They cannot afford to screw this up. I hope the NCAA can pass this on to the game officials. Dee Kantner, this means you!
Will you say the same if you play Baylor?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Will you say the same if you play Baylor?
Starting today and going forward is when it REALLY makes a difference. First couple of games you can live with bad officiating. The next 4 games it is vital for all teams to ensure they are able to play their game so we can get the best team to the winners circle.

Reaction Score
Starting today and going forward is when it REALLY makes a difference. First couple of games you can live with bad officiating. The next 4 games it is vital for all teams to ensure they are able to play their game so we can get the best team to the winners circle.
I agree on wanting great officiating. What I was referring to though, is you wanted the refs to let them play. I'm assuming so you could be more physical with Caitlin. I just wanted to know are you going to want the same in the Baylor game?

Reaction Score
There are all kinds of scenarios regarding Caitlin Clark. Before we dive into that, lets remember the other players on the team are decent college players and have to be seriously dealt with. Assuming everyone will be healthy and will play, who is better equipped to deal with Caitlin. First option, Nika. As much as I admire how Nika plays, I don't believe she is quick enough to stay in front of her. Let her guard the other guard in this game. Second option is Christyn who I think would do a pretty good job on her. The problem here is she will only do this for half of the first quarter. She has been in foul trouble both games so far, and we need her offense in this game. The best option to start the game is Evina. She is quick and smart, and although you can't completely shut her down, she will make life a little harder for Caitlin. Next up Aubrey. This is a game that can make Aubrey a household name if she can do what we all know she can do. She is quick on her feet with good hands that can be a nightmare for any guard. Any other strategy of course will come from Geno, but IMHO these players are the way to go.
Aubrey from the start. We don't need or want perimeter shooting for this game from CW or EW; we'll crush Iowa in the paint with ONO, AE & Aubrey down low. Nika and Paige are best at getting the ball inside.

Reaction Score
There are all kinds of scenarios regarding Caitlin Clark. Before we dive into that, lets remember the other players on the team are decent college players and have to be seriously dealt with. Assuming everyone will be healthy and will play, who is better equipped to deal with Caitlin. First option, Nika. As much as I admire how Nika plays, I don't believe she is quick enough to stay in front of her. Let her guard the other guard in this game. Second option is Christyn who I think would do a pretty good job on her. The problem here is she will only do this for half of the first quarter. She has been in foul trouble both games so far, and we need her offense in this game. The best option to start the game is Evina. She is quick and smart, and although you can't completely shut her down, she will make life a little harder for Caitlin. Next up Aubrey. This is a game that can make Aubrey a household name if she can do what we all know she can do. She is quick on her feet with good hands that can be a nightmare for any guard. Any other strategy of course will come from Geno, but IMHO these players are the way to go.
I think if the game starts to play out where Uconn decides they have to shut down clark Griffin is the one with the best tools to do that. Clarks got an inch or 2 on both Nika and CW and she’s got long arms so there’d have to play right up n her. Griffin length,quickness,and leaping ability allows her to play a bit off Clark and turn an easy three into a difficult one. Also puts her into a better position to stop a drive or pull-up. It may not come to that but if it does it’ll be fun to watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom