Guard Shooting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Guard Shooting

Reaction Score
Not sure if they beat us or we beat ourselves. Whaley left his player hedging and they make an easy layup. Shooting 3 point bombs late in the game and overtime with the scored tie or having the lead, when 2 points would have sufficed. Oh we weren't hot from 3 either.

Some very sloppy passes, Gaff's brain farts with leaving his feet or passing to ghosts. How many bunnies did we miss? Bouk made some poor decisions, so he's not immune.

Frustrating because Temple was giving us the win with all of their brain farts as well.

Too many miscues to name, but hell out team fought hard and I'm very proud of them.
I understand this “Proud of this team” stuff, and I am proud of what they have overcome, but we beat a significantly better team on Sunday with the same personnel. Being 1-4 in OT games isn’t an accident. It’s the usual suspects who make the same mistakes, we’ve gotten better in some aspects but i’d argue we’ve gotten worse in overall defense. Too many easy buckets, too many open threes, and losing 50/50 balls to the point where its almost 80/20 against us. End of game execution has to improve for next season. Temple ended OT on a 13-5 run because they didn’t make mistakes and we did.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This isn’t my point though. Far to often Gaffney defers from shooting when he is wide open. You can’t keep saying freshman mistakes. He’s logged enough minutes so far this season to know what he is doing.
I love Gaffneys decision making most of the time, but sometimes he kills us with how much he wants to defer. The offense is way better with him out there, but he's gotta take more shots than Gilbert and Adams. That backcourt violation being the perfect example, if he had committed to the drive there was a solid chance he makes the layup.

He's gonna be really good for us in due time.

Reaction Score
This isn’t my point though. Far to often Gaffney defers from shooting when he is wide open. You can’t keep saying freshman mistakes. He’s logged enough minutes so far this season to know what he is doing.

He passed up a couple shots he should have taken but Gaffney was very good tonight. 12 points and 9 assists (and it seemed like more). I thought it was his best game.

Reaction Score
Will be sad to see Vital go but our backcourt is going to be so much better next season. Gaff is already clearly our best passer and field general, money from the line. Once he tightens things up in the offseason we'll see a lot more of the athleticism and playmaking/scoring will blossom. Bouk we all know is just scratching the surface and the reports are great on how Cole is practicing. Adams will make another jump and should be pretty damn good as a 4th guard.

Reaction Score
He passed up a couple shots he should have taken but Gaffney was very good tonight. 12 points and 9 assists (and it seemed like more). I thought it was his best game.
Not saying he didn’t play well tonight but at times his play hurt us. Everyone would be all over AG if he did the same things. I much rather have Gaffney shoot and miss than commit turnovers by trying to pass because he is timid.

Reaction Score
Temple’s guards shot 21-35
UConn’s shot 19-58

That is the reason we lose most close games. They’re guards go strong to the rim and either draw fouls or convert. There was a stat about 5 mins into the second half Temple was 0-1 because they had drawn fouls on shot attempts. CV and Brendan Adams are built like bulls but settle for threes far too often. AG just cannot finish at the rim if his life depended on it. Bouk and Gaff don’t like to take contact, hopefully they’ll learn as they progress.

Also, we are beat on the dribble drive far too often. Besides CV, who played tremendous D on Rose. Gaff, Bouk and Adams couldn’t stay in front of their men, especially Bouk. He was a revolving door on defense tonight.
And THAT is the BOTTOM LINE.....

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I understand this “Proud of this team” stuff, and I am proud of what they have overcome, but we beat a significantly better team on Sunday with the same personnel. Being 1-4 in OT games isn’t an accident. It’s the usual suspects who make the same mistakes, we’ve gotten better in some aspects but i’d argue we’ve gotten worse in overall defense. Too many easy buckets, too many open threes, and losing 50/50 balls to the point where its almost 80/20 against us. End of game execution has to improve for next season. Temple ended OT on a 13-5 run because they didn’t make mistakes and we did.
calm down, take a breath. a few short weeks ago, j&j played their first ever in life, conference road game. tonite, they played another. compare their contributions to winning team ball, then and now, a few short weeks later. for example, now, when jagaf has the ball as a point bringing it up, every body husky goes 'aaahhhhh., nice.'

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You guys are right. The freshman saved his ass 3 plays later so it wasn’t yet another brutal Al crunch time play

Reaction Score
calm down, take a breath. a few short weeks ago, j&j played their first ever in life, conference road game. tonite, they played another. compare their contributions to winning team ball, then and now, a few short weeks later. for example, now, when jagaf has the ball as a point bringing it up, every body husky goes 'aaahhhhh., nice.'
There’s two sides of the ball. Offense and defense. The two guys they were matched up with had outstanding games shooting the ball. Pierre Louis is a terrible shooter as well. No one wants to look at that side of the game, but Bouk is a bad defender right now and Gaff isn’t much better save a few steals. Guard play should be our advantage but it wasn’t tonight.

Reaction Score
They missed how many shots in the final 3 minutes of the 2nd overtime? 4? 5? Temple went on a 8-0 run during that time and won by 4.....make 2 of those missed shots and it could have been a win instead of a loss....Just sayin'....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gilbert with a bad alley on a 3-1 break in OT. How can your upperclassmen PG do that crap over and over?
Not only that, buT my man AG tried to throw the alley to Gaffney instead of bouk who was filling the lane! Cmon AG- I cudda made that play !!! I kno it didn’t matter cuz bouk made the 3 point play but still. Cmon. That’s hoops 101

Reaction Score
I expect a verbal and written apology from Adams for his play tonight. 1-8, 4 points. Half his bricked 3s led to fast breaks and his foul and lack of situational awareness in overtime will haunt my dreams tonight
Brendan Adams is a different player on the road than at home.......showed no poise tonight

Reaction Score
Adams will make another jump and should be pretty damn good as a 4th guard.

If he keeps working on his body and shot (gets up to 36%+ from 3), we're going to be very good. He has a great bench guard skillset. Mostly fearless. Strong and can be assigned tough matchups your starters can't handle. Can get to the rim and finish.

Unfortunately his shot is a little unorthodox (and possibly broken), so that's the big question mark.

Reaction Score
Way harsh. Kid knows how he played and certainly doesnt need you spouting sh!te
Kid had a bad night. Those happen. BUT for all the smack about him leaving for the NBA he’s not even close and needs a ton work for next year. He’s got to be drilling 3s in his sleep and can’t go to sleep for 38 minutes in game. Can’t confuse flashes of greatness with the real thing. The later requires consistent high level play and a bad day is an average player’s good day. He’ll get there if he wants to work for it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
How about Gaffney electing to pass most of the time instead of shooting the open shot. What was he thinking on that alley oop? What was he thinking when he was open in the lane and tried to throw it cv causing a backcourt! He needs to stop being timid and just shoot
I think he'll get there.

Reaction Score
I think he'll get there.
Agreed! Although it’s more frustrating to watch him Not shoot the open shots than it is to watch him miss. He has a good shot just don’t know why he is still scared to take it!

Reaction Score
If he keeps working on his body and shot (gets up to 36%+ from 3), we're going to be very good. He has a great bench guard skillset. Mostly fearless. Strong and can be assigned tough matchups your starters can't handle. Can get to the rim and finish.

Unfortunately his shot is a little unorthodox (and possibly broken), so that's the big question mark.

I’m a huge Brendan fan. I have no doubt he’ll bust his butt again this summer in the gym and weightroom and come back an even more important and useful player his junior year.

One thing i’ve noticed with his shot is there are like 3-4 places around the three-point line where if he’s given a decent pass, he almost always has a good set up, nice mechanics, great follow through and it’s money.

The rest of the spots, it’s totally erratic. Feet can be discombobulated, body angle can vary widely, etc. Those end up being the clangers.

I have no doubt he’ll take hundreds of shots a day in the off season and I expect he’ll be a bit more consistent next year.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is not a good shooter, at least not yet. He is 32% from the field and 27% from three. Having him hoist up a bunch more shots is not the path to victory.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think that was Whaley’s 4th foul trying to get the rebound. Making it worse.
rewatch - had nothing to do with PC's #4
It was a UConn ball on out of bounds on the alley oop
But it's AG so I blame the entire game on him - there - that should make all the haters happy

Reaction Score
Brendan Adams is a different player on the road than at home.......showed no poise tonight

Adams was terrible last night, but if you want to be fair most of his minutes were at the 4.

Reaction Score
rewatch - had nothing to do with PC's #4
It was a UConn ball on out of bounds on the alley oop
But it's AG so I blame the entire game on him - there - that should make all the haters happy

One flaw in your logic. If Carlton didn't stink, he would have been on the floor and by not sprinting down the court might have distracted the one defender so we convert there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom