Guard Shooting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Guard Shooting

Reaction Score
Gaffney is not a good shooter, at least not yet. He is 32% from the field and 27% from three. Having him hoist up a bunch more shots is not the path to victory.
Ok so we will just pass it to another Person who is not s good shooter? His sample size is probably very small. What has he taken like 30 threes this year?

Reaction Score
So who will be next year's scapegoat be when AG and CV aren't here? Just asking for a friend....

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
rewatch - had nothing to do with PC's #4
It was a UConn ball on out of bounds on the alley oop
But it's AG so I blame the entire game on him - there - that should make all the haters happy
Yeah, I confused that play with the 4th foul play, which was a clunked Vital drive from the left and a Bouknight miss on the rebound. Whaley got his 4th trying for that rebound, which should already have been 2 points

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
One flaw in your logic. If Carlton didn't stink, he would have been on the floor and by not sprinting down the court might have distracted the one defender so we convert there.

Why is it Carlton's fault that Hurley won't play him in crunch time?

The 4 guard lineup surrenders a lot on interior defense and rebounding, and doesn't get much back in return. Carlton and Whaley should have both been on the court the last 5 minutes of regulation and OT until one or both fouled out.

Reaction Score
Why is it Carlton's fault that Hurley won't play him in crunch time?

The 4 guard lineup surrenders a lot on interior defense and rebounding, and doesn't get much back in return. Carlton and Whaley should have both been on the court the last 5 minutes of regulation and OT until one or both fouled out.

I thought the facetiousness was obvious enough there that no one would have taken the post literally. I was wrong. My bad.

I agree with you by the way. Other than staying out of foul trouble I thought Carlton played well yesterday. People want him to never miss a shot on a team that struggles to get to 40% from the field. I would have had him in more as well.

Reaction Score
Not sure if they beat us or we beat ourselves. Whaley left his player hedging and they make an easy layup. Shooting 3 point bombs late in the game and overtime with the scored tie or having the lead, when 2 points would have sufficed. Oh we weren't hot from 3 either.

Some very sloppy passes, Gaff's brain farts with leaving his feet or passing to ghosts. How many bunnies did we miss? Bouk made some poor decisions, so he's not immune.

Frustrating because Temple was giving us the win with all of their brain farts as well.

Too many miscues to name, but hell out team fought hard and I'm very proud of them.
On the play you are referring to about Whaley hedging. All game he hedged and had help from the weak side until he recovered. They performed that perfectly all game until that one play. CV was glued to his man in the corner but should have been helping on the roll until Whaley recovered.

Reaction Score
I love Gaffneys decision making most of the time, but sometimes he kills us with how much he wants to defer. The offense is way better with him out there, but he's gotta take more shots than Gilbert and Adams. That backcourt violation being the perfect example, if he had committed to the drive there was a solid chance he makes the layup.

He's gonna be really good for us in due time.
How about the double dribble?

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Adams was terrible last night, but if you want to be fair most of his minutes were at the 4.
He was terrible last night and everyone knows why. When. He stays within his limits he's a very capable player.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
He was terrible last night and everyone knows why. When. He stays within his limits he's a very capable player.

Funny, I think that's Hurley's stance on most of the team. The issue is that they don't seem to know their limits - so the coaches are trying to dial some (AG, Adams etc.) back, and trying to get others to break out. I guess that's coaching...

"A man's got Tyler Phommachanh know his limitations"
- Harry Callahan

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Funny, I think that's Hurley's stance on most of the team. The issue is that they don't seem to know their limits - so the coaches are trying to dial some (AG, Adams etc.) back, and trying to get others to break out. I guess that's coaching...

"A man's got Tyler Phommachanh know his limitations"
- Harry Callahan
The absolutely most frustrating thing is the guy is built like a bull and doesn't go at the rim. He misses some threes that are WAY off.

Reaction Score
I thought the facetiousness was obvious enough there that no one would have taken the post literally. I was wrong. My bad.

I agree with you by the way. Other than staying out of foul trouble I thought Carlton played well yesterday. People want him to never miss a shot on a team that struggles to get to 40% from the field. I would have had him in more as well.
Through halftime, I kept thinking, we need to pound it down to Carlton, as their bigs couldn't handle him the little time he was in in the first. Then we come out of halftime, he couldn't get open a few trips, and they drove right at him for his 3rd foul. After that, he didn't see a whole lot of time. I thought for sure him or Sid should've taken more of BA's time and gotten them out of the 4 guard line-up. Hurley is going with the 4 guard more and more, partly because the front court is so sparse, but its tough to operate when you're not hitting outside shots.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So who will be next year's scapegoat be when AG and CV aren't here? Just asking for a friend....
Whoever continually kills the team in crucial spots like one of the two guys you just mentioned.

Reaction Score
Temple’s guards shot 21-35
UConn’s shot 19-58

That is the reason we lose most close games. They’re guards go strong to the rim and either draw fouls or convert. There was a stat about 5 mins into the second half Temple was 0-1 because they had drawn fouls on shot attempts. CV and Brendan Adams are built like bulls but settle for threes far too often. AG just cannot finish at the rim if his life depended on it. Bouk and Gaff don’t like to take contact, hopefully they’ll learn as they progress.

Also, we are beat on the dribble drive far too often. Besides CV, who played tremendous D on Rose. Gaff, Bouk and Adams couldn’t stay in front of their men, especially Bouk. He was a revolving door on defense tonight.
What stands out to me is that Gaffney attempts as many 3s as 2s despite only shooting 27% from three, and Adams who can get hot from 3 but is ice cold some games, actually attempts one MORE attempt per game from 3, despite only shooting 30% from deep. This is not a recipe for shooting a high percentage and winning games.

Reaction Score
That and we have NOBODY at the 4 or 5 spot besides Whaley. Sid is a 3 and JC is unplayable it appears. So we have 3 guards and Whaley that are usually good now & AG, BA, JC and Sid are usually no shows.

Even with our anemic roster we should have beat Temple though.
Don't agree about Carlton. Take out his production and we don't get to overtime.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom