Guard Play now vs November | The Boneyard

Guard Play now vs November

Reaction Score
Teams have us on tape now. They see who will shoot and who will not and we have not adjusted. We have too many non-shooters on the floor to play in a half court.

Last night Hall seemed to be using a one man press on Newton and he was unable to to cleanly bring the ball up. Expect this from every team going forward as it’s very effective.

One thing which concerned me, was if Newton made a good move and started to get around a defender or was even at the hips, many times he would slow down and allow the defender to get back in front of him. We need to push the ball simply becuase what we are doing in the half court is not working. Bringing the ball up takes 7-10 off the clock, another 3-5 trying to get the ball inside, and then Sanogo takes a long time.

Newton needs to play a bit faster, take what they give him, and get to the basket more. The flashing was mostly effective, the sloppy passing was not.

Reaction Score
Newton just isn’t a starting point guard in the big east, plain and simple. Jackson needs to be the point guard if they’re going to do anything in March.

Reaction Score
Teams have us on tape now. They see who will shoot and who will not and we have not adjusted. We have too many non-shooters on the floor to play in a half court.

Last night Hall seemed to be using a one man press on Newton and he was unable to to cleanly bring the ball up. Expect this from every team going forward as it’s very effective.

One thing which concerned me, was if Newton made a good move and started to get around a defender or was even at the hips, many times he would slow down and allow the defender to get back in front of him. We need to push the ball simply becuase what we are doing in the half court is not working. Bringing the ball up takes 7-10 off the clock, another 3-5 trying to get the ball inside, and then Sanogo takes a long time.

Newton needs to play a bit faster, take what they give him, and get to the basket more. The flashing was mostly effective, the sloppy passing was not.

Also, there were a few times where Newton/Diarra dumped a pass over half court (usually caught by AJ), and instead of attacking the defense, he held the ball and waited for both guys to join in the halfcourt offense/defense.

Earlier in the season, we were putting pressure on the defense at every potential opportunity advantage.

We've become passive and weak.

Reaction Score
It seems like everyone's purpose seems to be to try and feed Sanogo and Clingan and not attempt any other kind of offense. I wonder what happens if you have neither on the floor ( just for a short period as an experiment). Do the rest of the players share the ball better and create offense? There was was a stretch where Jackson and Newton twice turned the ball over trying to feed the post. I think feeding the post is a good compliment to the offense but it can't be our only source of offense.

Reaction Score
One thing which concerned me, was if Newton made a good move and started to get around a defender or was even at the hips, many times he would slow down and allow the defender to get back in front of him.
He isn't the only one who does this, Jackson also is especially prone to doing this. Once clear of your man, keep going, get a shot off or veer into the defender to get fouled, but this seldom happens.

Reaction Score

A 2:1 assist to TO ratio ain't gonna cut it, TN

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There's a reason why all 3 of the PGs (not including JoeyC) were in the portal - they weren't going to get PT at their former teams
To me, the portal is majority "buyer beware" in mens BB
Best route is retain what you recruited and work with them to get better but sometimes that takes time and commitment.

Reaction Score
Somebody needs to rise to the challenge from our point guard by committee. The committee was working what happened?
Today Seaton Hall lost because the point guard Richmond couldn't read the shot clock. The point guard is so important.
Remember my post No Point Guard .

Reaction Score
Early season newton didn't hesitate with defenders on him bringing the ball up. No walking it up the court. because of his quickness up the court early season, the defenders would be on their heels by the time we started our offensive set. We could find our offense early in the clock, able to get to second or third flex options.

Additionallly, Newton was prone to dribbling aggressively into the paint and jumping without first knowing where his pass would go. That has stopped, but I suspect the adjustments the coaches gave him took away his mentality of being aggressive? He's very passive as the initiator in the offense in the losing streak. Watch his demeanor with the ball in the Alabama game vs really any game in 2023.

Reaction Score
Early season newton didn't hesitate with defenders on him bringing the ball up. No walking it up the court. because of his quickness up the court early season, the defenders would be on their heels by the time we started our offensive set. We could find our offense early in the clock, able to get to second or third flex options.

Additionallly, Newton was prone to dribbling aggressively into the paint and jumping without first knowing where his pass would go. That has stopped, but I suspect the adjustments the coaches gave him took away his mentality of being aggressive? He's very passive as the initiator in the offense in the losing streak. Watch his demeanor with the ball in the Alabama game vs really any game in 2023.
IOW, they have him thinking too much.

Reaction Score
Man…how in the hell did we lose to St Johns and Seton Hall
Both were terrible losses. Here’s my view as a “Casual” skier. In the St. John’s game, we lost our balance. It gets your attention, but nothing urgent. In the Seton Hall game, we lost a ski. Not a great event, but we’re still trying to stay upright. A loss to Butler would be like slamming into a tree. Can’t happen. Go Huskies!!!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
IOW, they have him thinking too much.
When in doubt, Tristen, just go to the hole hard and draw the foul. Make free throws with relaxed muscle memory. Loosen up at the line, build confidence, and show teammates how it's done. The rest will come. This can be Newton's unique leadership style. We've seen it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom