Growing Trend of Midseason Redshirting Has Caused a Divide in College Football (SI) | The Boneyard

Growing Trend of Midseason Redshirting Has Caused a Divide in College Football (SI)

Reaction Score

>>On this latest trend, at least one Power 5 athletic administrator believes the Group of Five will become even more of a minor league for the Power 5 than it is today. The big boys will poach the lower-level clubs’ best players. King’s situation at Houston is a prime example. He’s one of the nation’s most prolific quarterbacks, but the Cougars began the season 1–3 with first-year coach Dana Holgorsen. Few around college football believe King will keep his word and remain at UH. Some have a stronger feeling about it than others. “There isn’t any way in hell that kid is going to be a Houston Cougar next year,” says an FBS coordinator. Because he did not announce a transfer or enter the portal, King remains with the Houston football team. That means he has the luxury of medical care, scholarship money, coaching lessons and practice snaps. Many believe a Power 5 club with an open starting quarterback position will soon come calling—if they haven’t already. King will have a year of eligibility remaining and can play immediately as a graduate transfer. “That whole story with D’Eriq King blows my mind,” says one Group of Five assistant. “What if some big school comes in and says ‘Why don’t you come here to play?’ Jalen Hurts is going to graduate and if [freshman backup QB] Spencer Rattler isn’t ready…”<<

Reaction Score
I think a school like UConn should take advantage of this.. We have everything in place accept for the success on the field part.. Fact of the matter is we don't have top level talent.. We get primarily developmental guys, who, for the most part, take at least 3 years to show up on the field, so why not us?

PLUS, with all the non success we've had over the last 8 plus years, it may be smart for us "think outside the box" for a change. What happened pre Edsall 2.0 ( and after Edsall 1.0) really really really put us in a DEEP hole.. Gotta find ways to dig out of it... This is definitely an option. "leave no stone unturned"

Reaction Score

>>On this latest trend, at least one Power 5 athletic administrator believes the Group of Five will become even more of a minor league for the Power 5 than it is today. The big boys will poach the lower-level clubs’ best players. King’s situation at Houston is a prime example. He’s one of the nation’s most prolific quarterbacks, but the Cougars began the season 1–3 with first-year coach Dana Holgorsen. Few around college football believe King will keep his word and remain at UH. Some have a stronger feeling about it than others. “There isn’t any way in hell that kid is going to be a Houston Cougar next year,” says an FBS coordinator. Because he did not announce a transfer or enter the portal, King remains with the Houston football team. That means he has the luxury of medical care, scholarship money, coaching lessons and practice snaps. Many believe a Power 5 club with an open starting quarterback position will soon come calling—if they haven’t already. King will have a year of eligibility remaining and can play immediately as a graduate transfer. “That whole story with D’Eriq King blows my mind,” says one Group of Five assistant. “What if some big school comes in and says ‘Why don’t you come here to play?’ Jalen Hurts is going to graduate and if [freshman backup QB] Spencer Rattler isn’t ready…”<<

just imagine what happens when (if) you are allowed to pay players for their image. As soon as some QB for a G5 team shows he has real talent, some booster will offer him $200,000 or more to quit the team mid season, and transfer to (whatever team he supports).

Reaction Score
just imagine what happens when (if) you are allowed to pay players for their image. As soon as some QB for a G5 team shows he has real talent, some booster will offer him $200,000 or more to quit the team mid season, and transfer to (whatever team he supports).
If u really wanna go there, then what makes you think that's not happening now?????

Reaction Score
The notion that the G5 will become a minor league for the P5 doesn't seem to be happening. In fact, the opposite seems to be happening. SMU exploited the system and they are having a successful year, so I think the portal is going to become a bigger part of recruiting for a number of teams.

Look at the transfer portal from last year on 247 and where players went:

QB:
122 in portal
5 went G5 to P5.
31 went P5 to G5 or below.

RB:
98 in portal
2 went G5 to P5.
25 went P5 to G5 or below.

I think the transfer portal will allow more P5 players to transfer to G5 teams to get more playing time. If you have hopes to play in the NFL and you are not starting on a P5 team by the end of your sophomore year, it makes sense to move to another team, P5 or G5.

And, if you are a successful QB, it makes more sense to stay with an offensive system than it does to take a risk with a new coach and offensive system at another school as the NFL will not care what school you played at.

Reaction Score
If u really wanna go there, then what makes you think that's not happening now?????

I actually think that if players were leaving schools after four games to go to other schools for money, we would probably hear about it. Do you actually think that is happening now? It’s possible, but once it is allowed, you will have Boosters, or booster clubs able to actually openly bid against other booster clubs for the best athletes currently in college.

Reaction Score
I actually think that if players were leaving schools after four games to go to other schools for money, we would probably hear about it. Do you actually think that is happening now? It’s possible, but once it is allowed, you will have Boosters, or booster clubs able to actually openly bid against other booster clubs for the best athletes currently in college.
Yes.. I do...
Boosters exist.. at probably every school...
You're a little delusional if you think it doesn't... Once the NCAA started raking in the doe, integrity went out the window with the system...

Reaction Score
“I think a school like UConn should take advantage of this.. We have everything in place accept for the success on the field part...”

....or a league or a schedule.

Reaction Score
Yes.. I do...
Boosters exist.. at probably every school...
You're a little delusional if you think it doesn't... Once the NCAA started raking in the doe, integrity went out the window with the system...

Yes, boosters exist at every school. But that’s not the issue. The issue is, do these boosters, or the school, break the rules regarding payments to athletes? Apparently you think that probably every school does it. So do you think the problem is that while Uconn pays the athletes, it is not enough to get a top team? Evidently based on your position it would appear that Uconn basketball probably pays its players the most.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom