Group of 5 (plus FBS Indy) Playoff? | The Boneyard

Group of 5 (plus FBS Indy) Playoff?

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Just saw this on Twitter the other night. Kinda like the idea more and more. Let’s be honest even the best of the best in the “G5” even lower level “Power 5” have zero chance of ever winning a national championship these days.

What everyone thin

CAC2808D-9EAE-4700-AA52-D9133AB71475.jpeg

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I no longer object to this idea. UConn could go undefeated three years in a row and would not get one of the four playoff seats in the current system.
I don’t think we necessarily need to push for this model, but if the bowl landscape were to devolve or the P5 decides to pull further away, our own G5 playoff is fine with me.

Reaction Score
The only thing I don't like about it is that it institutionalizes second class status for some first class institutions.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UConn's goal is not to win a NC in FB. Same as about 120 other FBS programs. The goal is to play in and win big games the bring eyeballs and money to the school.

Playing in a minor league playoff brings about a much interest as a women's field hockey national championship. Which is to say none.

If we were in a conference (even the AAC) winning a league title and getting a major bowl game would be the ultimate realistic goal. The TV deal made that impossible. Now as an indy, the goal is to become Boise State (we won't) but if we can play a P5 type schedule and win some games, the fans will come back.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Have the winner get the auto bid in to the CFP and it then makes sense.

Reaction Score
looks like an Aresco wet dream. Maybe he can stream it and get espn to pay $50 to the winner. And so I understand, no auto bid for a G5 conf champ? Should go over well. I'm in the G5 but I'm shut out of the playoff? What am I now?

We have our own problems to fix before we can even worry about the small minded stuff in others' minds.

Reaction Score
It’s pretty clear to me that the playoff will be 8 schools down the road as P5 conference champs are repeatedly left out of the playoff. I think you will see the 5 conference champs get auto bids, 2 at-large bids, and the final bid going to the highest ranked G5 conference champ if they are ranked above a certain threshold or another at-large school.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If the G5 did a four team playoff with teams 2-5 after the highest ranked team went to our only real slot in the NY6 bowl, would we really have institutionalized ourselves or just quietly improved the fun for G5 programs everywhere? Basically it becomes one extra game for the G5 landscape. The two playoff games could be rebranded bowls. I’m too lazy to look, but broadly speaking right now the G5 schools 2-5 largely end up playing bowls against P5 schools that finished around middle of their own conference... schools with four or five losses.

This sub card concept looks even better if the top card becomes an eight school playoff.

Reaction Score
Yes, because what the P5 schools are looking to do more than anything is find more ways to include outsiders/so-called P6ers.

Reaction Score
The G5 (including some independents) having a playoff would make the G5 another league...between FCS and FBS...effectively having IA, IA2, and IA3 leagues.

The playoff might be like the FCS that North Dakota State has dominated. North Dakota State gets little comparative national attention as a perennial champion (think Alabama-Clemson in FBS).

Pro....the G5-Indy would have their own pond in which to compete.

Con....the same

Reaction Score
Louisiana Tech over UCF? UCF is not one of the top 8 non p5 teams? They have 7 wins. It seems kinda pointless to me when most of the schools are from one conference...

Reaction Score
The only thing I don't like about it is that it institutionalizes second class status for some first class institutions.
That happened the day they moved to "P5".

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Who wouldn't be lining up to see Cincinnati play Memphis for the 3rd time in 5 months!

Well when you put it that way it doesn't sound very enticing but consider this - there are only four P5/G5 bowl cross over games out of 32 bowls not including the NY6 game. The four are two AAC games, one Mtn West and one Conf USA.

The fence is here - been here the whole time. The G5 is fenced out rather starkly.

In 2019 the AAC P5 bowls - just two:
  • w/the ACC - their 7th best team in the Military Bowl (hello Navy)
  • w/the SEC - their 9th best team in the Birmingham Bowl
  • w/the B1G - no bowl deals with the AAC
  • w/the B12 - no bowl deals with the AAC
  • w/the P12 - no bowl deals with the AAC
Other G5 vs P5 bowls:

Mountain West:
Armed Forces Bowls vs B1G. This is probably the last of 10 bowls filled by the B1G.

Mid America: has zero P5 bowls.

Conf USA: Servpro Bowl vs the B12 or B1G (alternates). This is projected to go to the 7th best team (of 8 teams!) when filled by the B12.

Sun Belt:
has zero P5 bowls.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Bowl update: Belk Dept stores are out - 2019 will be their last year as a sponsor. This is currently an ACC vs SEC bowl game.

Reaction Score
As a football junkie Id love if this were a thing to watch, but in fairness to these schools it shouldn't be. Pretty simple solution is an 8 team playoff. P5, top G5 program, and 2 wild cards. The only way this should ever happen is if the top $ programs break away from the NCAA altogether. I don't think that will happen any time soon, but nothing really surprises me at this point in my life

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom