Grist for the mill | The Boneyard

Grist for the mill

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
According to an individual with knowledge of the situation, the ACC’s addition of Notre Dame as a full member in all sports except for football irked top Maryland officials, because it broke with the conference’s traditional requirement that all members must participate in all sports.

The ND move to the ACC is already poisoning the well.
Sitting at 13 in football and 14 in everything else is a real possibility, according to ACC athletic directors who were trying to sort through Maryland's possible defection.

If the league were to attempt to replace Maryland, the most obvious and, perhaps only, expansion target would be the University of Connecticut. It is by far the most attractive candidate left on the East Coast. About the only other schools that could be on the radar are Central Florida and South Florida, and neither is realistic, according to at least one ACC source.

So it looks like it is us or nothing for the ACC. Let's hope we're the better alternative.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The ND move to the ACC is already poisoning the well.

So it looks like it is us or nothing for the ACC. Let's hope we're the better alternative.
Going to 14 never made sense, except to open up re-negotiating the tv contract with ESPN. 13 in football would be assinine, but ACC could lose another or gain one I suppose. Best move might be add UConn and either Gtown/Nova for 16 all sports and get back in the DC market.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I clicked this thread expecting some new UConn insider stuff.
Preview

Reaction Score
Going to 14 never made sense, except to open up re-negotiating the tv contract with ESPN. 13 in football would be assinine, but ACC could lose another or gain one I suppose. Best move might be add UConn and either Gtown/Nova for 16 all sports and get back in the DC market.

ACC then essentially becomes the old Big East. FSU and Clemson will be leaving for the B12 - book it!

Reaction Score
"Reached by telephone on Saturday night, Kirwan (UMD chancellor) declined comment."

That might say it all.

Reaction Score
Won't BC just end up blocking us even if MD leaves? I don't think Deflippo retiring will change their vindictive ways towards us.

Reaction Score
Won't BC just end up blocking us even if MD leaves? I don't think Deflippo retiring will change their vindictive ways towards us.
What other prestigious options do the ACC have right now?

Reaction Score
What other prestigious options do the ACC have right now?

Judging by our luck with this shifting conference crapola dating back to 2003, something will come up.

Reaction Score
As bad as UConn football is right now, they beat Maryland, beat Pittsburgh and took NC State to the close. I'm not sure the greater middle of the conference can sneer at UConn football.

Reaction Score
Judging by our luck with this shifting conference crapola dating back to 2003, something will come up.
We're fine now, at least for the ACC. We had to put on our "big boy pants" and keep winning. And have to keep winning.

Reaction Score
Len Elmore, who starred on the Maryland men’s basketball team from 1971 to 1974 and now is a basketball commentator for ESPN, called the news “sad” and Maryland’s possible defection to the Big Ten a “bad move.”
“From a standpoint of tradition, I didn’t think my alma mater would be looking for a money grab, one of the most pernicious things in all of college sports,” Elmore said. “It’s nuts. They’re blinded by the dollars.”
Poor Len. It's all great when the ACC is decimating the Big East, but now that his alma matre is going to the Big Ten he's upset.

Reaction Score
Len Elmore, who starred on the Maryland men’s basketball team from 1971 to 1974 and now is a basketball commentator for ESPN, called the news “sad” and Maryland’s possible defection to the Big Ten a “bad move.”
“From a standpoint of tradition, I didn’t think my alma mater would be looking for a money grab, one of the most pernicious things in all of college sports,” Elmore said. “It’s nuts. They’re blinded by the dollars.”
Poor Len. It's all great when the ACC is decimating the Big East, but now that his alma matre is going to the Big Ten he's upset.

Now hell has frozen over. A lawyer just used the term "blinded by the dollars" as if it was a bad thing.

Reaction Score
Lets be the beneficiaries of other people's bad decisions.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If we do end up in the ACC so be it. ACC membership beats the hell out of where we currently sit.

I do however reserve the right to fart in the ACC's general direction until at least the day when we officially join.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Just read the article on cbssports and they don't make any mention of possible replacements for UMD. However, they made this comment and I just had to laugh.

The loss of Rutgers could actually solve the Big East's numbers game for football -- the league is currently stuck at an odd number with Navy's future arrival, though their absence from all sports would be a blow to the identity of the conference.

Can someone let me know what sport Rutgers would hurt the conferences Identity in? Is it in basketball? I mean they are a powerhouse who just lost to St. Peters. Hahaha! Losing them in football hurts and it really hurts UConn because they're our last remaining "rival". That's about it.

Reaction Score

I love how these commentators love calling into question the morals of Presidents who are going for the money grab, but when schools like Rutgers and Maryland are bleeding tens of millions each year because they can't compete in their conferences, everything is hunky dory with them. Nope, nothing wrong with eliminating academic programs so that these schools can continue to lose $30 million a year on athletics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom