Grinnell College sets NCAA record 111 3-point shots in one game | The Boneyard

Grinnell College sets NCAA record 111 3-point shots in one game

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
That’s wild. Not sure what the long term success for that style of game is but it sounds like it would be fun to play a couple games like that each season.

Reaction Score
Great example of true sportsmanship by the winning team, averaging almost three 3-point attempts per minute for the entire game. Ahead by 16 at the half, they scored 76 points in the second half.

Reaction Score
They have been setting these types of records for years. I would like to see a game though. They must press and gamble the entire game and push the ball and Jack threes immediately

Reaction Score
It's a weird gimmicky style of play, but gets kids in the door for the school. Can't say I blame them

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Grinnell is an excellent liberal arts school in the middle of Iowa. Dave Arsenault was the coach when they started innovating. Some seasons he would have 15 players on his team and they would run all game the 15 players were split into three units. Each unit would sub in en masse and there was no individual subbing. I bought his instructional video when I was coaching my kids. Their press is interesting. They allow you to inbound the ball and then get behind and push you into the front court(I've never seen anything like it). The whole idea was to push tempo as much as possible because even if they gave up some easy hoops they believed the tempo would eventually work in their favor.

Reaction Score
It's a great strategy. A couple kids might get hot. If not, you make sure you plan for rebounding. Those rebounds should be 50/50 at worst, right? And if every kid is just shooting 3s, at some point you have to start improving. Bombs away!

Reminds me of this take on how coaches choose to punt way too often.

There was a study done by Berkeley economics professor David Romer. There are complicated statistics—some of which I will try to go over—but the basic summary is this:. On a team's own side of the field, it should opt not to punt on 4th-and-4 or less. On the other side of the field, the number ranges up to 9.5 yards or less.

Reaction Score
Grinnell is an excellent liberal arts school in the middle of Iowa.
My son was looking at liberal arts schools and Grinnell was on his very early initial list. But then he crossed them off after realizing there was no way he could see himself going to Iowa since there were so many good liberal arts schools in the Northeast.

Reaction Score
Same school who had the kid who scored 138 points in a game a few years ago. Guess this is their thing
I was going to say that, but you beat me to it. That is an intentional style of play where they take the first open look within seven or eight seconds. For people who like to play offense and jack up shots, that would be a great system to play under.

Reaction Score
Their press is interesting. They allow you to inbound the ball and then get behind and push you into the front court(I've never seen anything like it). The whole idea was to push tempo as much as possible.
I was an assistant coach at a small community college in North Carolina that was coached by a coach who would utilize that strategy in games where we were losing to speed up the tempo. Obviously, it was only the guards who played behind their man to push the ball into the front court.

Reaction Score
Publicity stunt by Grinnell.
No. Did you read everything above?

Grinnell College's basketball team attracted ESPN due to the team's run and gun style of playing basketball, also known as the Grinnell System. Coach Dave Arseneault's "system" incorporates a continual full-court press, a fast-paced offense, an emphasis on offensive rebounding, a barrage of three-point shots and substitutions of five players at a time every 35 to 40 seconds. This allows a higher average playing time for more players than the "starters" and suits the Division III goals of scholar-athletes. "The System" has been criticized for not teaching the principles of defense. However, under "The System," Grinnell has won three conference championships over the past ten years and have regularly placed in the top half of the conference. Arseneault's teams have set numerous NCAA scoring records and several individuals on the Grinnell team have led the nation in scoring or assists.

Jim

Reaction Score
This reminds me of the 2018 first round NCAA tournament game between our women’s team and St. Francis. St. Francis wanted to set a record for most 3 pt attempts in a tournament game. It did not go well for them. We scored 94 points — in the first half.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No. Did you read everything above?

Grinnell College's basketball team attracted ESPN due to the team's run and gun style of playing basketball, also known as the Grinnell System. Coach Dave Arseneault's "system" incorporates a continual full-court press, a fast-paced offense, an emphasis on offensive rebounding, a barrage of three-point shots and substitutions of five players at a time every 35 to 40 seconds. This allows a higher average playing time for more players than the "starters" and suits the Division III goals of scholar-athletes. "The System" has been criticized for not teaching the principles of defense. However, under "The System," Grinnell has won three conference championships over the past ten years and have regularly placed in the top half of the conference. Arseneault's teams have set numerous NCAA scoring records and several individuals on the Grinnell team have led the nation in scoring or assists.

Zero 2-point attempts? It was a publicity stunt. Division 3 coach wanted a headline in the national press and a way to do that is to take no 2-pointers.

Reaction Score
Wow. Thoughts?

I went to their former coach (David Arseneault) coaching clinic back around 2009-10 range. I see his son (David Areseneault Jr.) is keeping that "System" going.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Zero 2-point attempts? It was a publicity stunt. Division 3 coach wanted a headline in the national press and a way to do that is to take no 2-pointers.

He’s been playing that style for like 10+ years.

I needed this guy as my coach!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Great example of true sportsmanship by the winning team, averaging almost three 3-point attempts per minute for the entire game. Ahead by 16 at the half, they scored 76 points in the second half.
I’m thinking maybe their opponent should’ve come out of the 2-3 zone?

Reaction Score
Dennis No GIF by Beano Studios

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He’s been playing that style for like 10+ years.

I needed this guy as my coach!

ZERO 2-pointers. There was not a single moment during that game where there was a wide open lane to the basket?

I wouldn't be shocked if the opposing coach was in on the stunt, because if Grinnell hit 1 2-pointer, this story would not get nearly the attention that it got. The other coach could have just defended the 3 point line and left the middle undefended to blow the whole thing.

Reaction Score
I've shared this story here before, but brings me back to 2005 when my UConn intramural basketball league had a team called We Only Shoot Threes. They lived up to their name.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom