Griner turns down national team | The Boneyard

Griner turns down national team

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
They will probably add another guard. Maybe Lawson, Cappie?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think Asjha would be the best selection.

You look at the players listed at Forward for Team USA, and at the International level none of them are what you would call a 'bangers' or true power forwards by build: Swin, Catch, Seimone, Maya, Angel. Obviously Parker can play multiple positions but I would want Asjha at the 4 since now we only have Big Syl or Tina to play at the 5. Asjha is at least two inches taller and 20-30 lbs bigger than those other Forwards listed except for Parker, who is 6'4".

F Swin Cash...........6'1"...162
F Maya Moore..........6'0"...170
F Angel McCoughtry....6'1"...160
F Tamika Catchings....6'1"...167
F Candace Parker......6'4"...175
F Seimone Augustus....6'0"...168 (I doubt she is even that heavy)

F Asjha Jones.........6'3"...196

F Candice Dupree......6'2"...175
F Sophia Young........6'1"...165

I have to believe that many of the International teams are going to be very rough and physical with us, thinking that is their only shot. I don't think we need to go with another center to 'replace' Griner. I think we're OK with the 3 guards we have already because Seimone is really an off-guard and has a stellar handle. I think what we need is someone who can give us substantial minutes at the 4 spot and not get pushed around, someone whose best work is done in the trenches with no fanfare but who still gives us a lot of versatility and some real scoring ability. Parker will likely start at the 4, but there are going to be times when we really need another big body in there alongside our center. I don't think Appel is the right choice because she is more of a true 5 and I don't think we need a third center. We need a true Power Forward. Dupree and Young are outstanding players but again it's the combo of size/strength and overall skills that make Ashja the best choice *for this team*.

As Geno said, Asjha has been around the block a few times. She is a pro's pro and knows the little tricks. She's healthy. She's strong. She is the logical pick.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
They will probably add another guard. Maybe Lawson, Cappie?
I agree, the roster is relatively light on guards. Cappie is clearly the best talent, but she has some issues.. But Seimone and Angel could be considered shooting guards along with DT, so with Sue and Lindsay at the point, that's probably enough.

The other position that is light is center with only Syl and Tina (Parker is not a center IMO). Asjha would probably be the choice in that case, or perhaps Brunson who is such a great rebounder.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Wouldnt they add another post player to make up for Griner?

They didn't select Griner. She pulled her name out of consideration to be selected.

They are a little light on guards if you look at the roster.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Holy carp! Ok, to be clear--Brit did not turn down the 12th spot after being offered. She withdrew from consideration. The 12th spot has not been offered yet.

Did Brittney call Geno?

I hope the family situation gets resolved.

A.J. did a nice job in the World Championships. She can defend much taller players and hit the midrange jumper very reliably. I hope she gets it.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Dupree also has a ton of USA basketball experience.

Cappie did join the national team for its last international tour when they only had 7 players. If that's enough to get back in their good graces, it remains to be seen. She can play the 1 or the 2.

Reaction Score
Wow. I read somewhere that her mother was not at the FF because of an illness. Very sad for Brittney.

I remember ESPN flashing to BOTH her parents in the stands numerous times during the Final 4, unless the woman next to her father wasn't her mother. Anyways, prayers for a speedy recovery to her mom.

Reaction Score
I think a power forward will be selected.

This is how I see the roster divided in terms of versatility:

PG: Bird, Whalen
SG: Diana
SG/SF: Augustus, McCoughtry
SF: Maya
SF/PF: Catchings/Cash
PF/C: Parker, Charles
C: Fowles

They could use a true power forward, as VAMike has said already. The final spot should go to one of Dupree/Ashja/Brunson. I don't necessarily feel they "need" a power forward however. The lineup they have right now already offers a ton of versatility which is exactly what Geno wants. That should serve them well this summer.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I remember ESPN flashing to BOTH her parents in the stands numerous times during the Final 4.

Not both. Her father was in the stands but the female sitting next to her father was not her mother. Here's a quote from Mulkey that appeared in John A's blog:

And I [Mulkey] want you to write this. We had this conversation today. She [Griner] said: Coach, they keep pointing to my daddy in the stands during the game. I want everybody to know that my mom’s back at home and they need to talk about my mother who couldn’t be here. I said: I’ll make that point clear.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
That's too bad. Needless to say, her defensive abilities would have been a real plus for the USA team.

Reaction Score

Poor kid. It must be heartbreaking to pass on the Olympics. At least this is not her last shot - she's almost guaranteed to get another chance, if circumstances allow, in 2016. But to pass on an opportunity like this, it sounds like the family illness could be serious, and if that's the case then clearly this is a young woman with her priorities in the right place. My very best wishes to her and her family.

U

UCONNfan1

Feel for the kid. She'll have other opportunities, but it can't feel good in any way. Hope her family situation is resolved favorably.

Having said that, my pick would be between Jones and Pondexter with the nod going to Cappie. but that's just based IMHO in need and skills. Cappie may still not be in enough of the committee's good graces.

Reaction Score
If they go with a post over a guard the player should be Dupree. Her performance at the world championships was superior to others who have already been selected to the team. She was a starter for the majority of the games and statistically out preformed other posts already named to the team.

Reaction Score
Sue and Diana, Angel and Lindsey Whalen.... Maya and Tamika... that right there gives you six amazing ball handlers. I would love to see Ashja Jones on that list. What is going on with Kara Lawson. I do not believe I saw her name. Those would be the two I would be looking at.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If they go with a post over a guard the player should be Dupree. Her performance at the world championships was superior to others who have already been selected to the team. She was a starter for the majority of the games and statistically out preformed other posts already named to the team.

Dupree didn't statistically out-perform other posts in the most important games in the World Championships. She had one really outstanding game (12 pts/16 rebs) against an over-matched Korean team. But in the bigger games against the tougher opponents, it was Tina and Fowles who played the best in the post. I think the coaches and USA basketball were a little disappointed with her play in the finals against the Czech Republic.

Reaction Score
Sue and Diana, Angel and Lindsey Whalen.... Maya and Tamika... that right there gives you six amazing ball handlers. I would love to see Ashja Jones on that list. What is going on with Kara Lawson. I do not believe I saw her name. Those would be the two I would be looking at.

Did you mean Augustus?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
They didn't select Griner. She pulled her name out of consideration to be selected.

They are a little light on guards if you look at the roster.

They have Seimone listed as a forward but she is very comfortable (not to mention capable) at the guard spot. She is very versatile but seems to be more of a 2 guard these days. Her handle, quickness and range on the perimeter are outstanding. Not to mention the fact that she and Whalen have logged significant minutes together as a backcourt combo with much success. Of the various combinations Geno will have at his disposal, he could easily run Sue & DT as the starting backcourt and then sub in Whalen and Seimone. Team USA really has excellent 4 guards in this lineup, which is plenty IMO.

If the past is any guide--even more so since Griner is now unavailable--the committee will go for more size on the inside. Which is why I would go with Asjha.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Did you mean Augustus?

I agree that this team really has four standout ball-handling guards: Sue, DT, Whalen, and Seimone.

Some of the other forwards are great with the ball in their own way but not like these four.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom