Griner= leaps and bounds better than last year, but... | The Boneyard

Griner= leaps and bounds better than last year, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
She is clearly not satisfied with simply being taller and longer than everyone else. Her improvement from freshman to sophomore year was noticable, but she's taken even more of a leap in the offeseason this go-round. Her touch, movement in general, passing ability, etc., are phenomenal.

Here's my concern. How is she not getting the ball when ND is mounting a furious comeback. They should be dumping it into her every time. She should be demanding it every time. If Baylor is going to match preseason expectations this year, she needs to have that killer instinct. Yes, ND is focusing on her defensively, but great players are effective regardless.

I don't know that Baylor wins it all with Griner being the force when things are going well and Sims being the go-to when Baylor needs a bucket. They may beat ND this way today, but will they win six consecutive games come tourney time that way? Time will tell.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
And as I post this, they go to her on consecutive possessions and Baylor extends its lead. See how easy that is?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
They drive me crazy when they have a multiple possessions where Griner is not even passed the ball. I can tell you this, if Griner were playing for Geno, he would demand that she be fed the ball every time down the court. Mulkey needs to chew some butts when they go down and jack up a thee pointer with 20 seconds left on the shot clock and Griner has never gotten a touch.

She shot 78% from the floor and 80% from the FT line. GIVER HER THE BALL!!!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Bring on the Baylor Bears in a few weeks............

Should be a great game...and I'll be there. Makes traveling home to Texas for Christmas even that much better.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
She is clearly not satisfied with simply being taller and longer than everyone else. Her improvement from freshman to sophomore year was noticable, but she's taken even more of a leap in the offeseason this go-round. Her touch, movement in general, passing ability, etc., are phenomenal.

Here's my concern. How is she not getting the ball when ND is mounting a furious comeback. They should be dumping it into her every time. She should be demanding it every time. If Baylor is going to match preseason expectations this year, she needs to have that killer instinct. Yes, ND is focusing on her defensively, but great players are effective regardless.

I don't know that Baylor wins it all with Griner being the force when things are going well and Sims being the go-to when Baylor needs a bucket. They may beat ND this way today, but will they win six consecutive games come tourney time that way? Time will tell.

Isn't it kind of difficult for a post player to feed the ball to herself. This is not about Griner not demanding the ball, this is about players not looking for her. This has always puzzled me...how the team forgets that she is their bread and butter.

Griner is much more aggressive this year but Mulkey better teach this team that when things get tough you go to your best playear. Sims was a close second today. WOW...what a performance.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
They drive me crazy when they have a multiple possessions where Griner is not even passed the ball. I can tell you this, if Griner were playing for Geno, he would demand that she be fed the ball every time down the court. Mulkey needs to chew some butts when they go down and jack up a thee pointer with 20 seconds left on the shot clock and Griner has never gotten a touch.

This is true. The offense should be run through her. Doesn't even matter if they pass it in and then back out. Make sure she touches the ball on each possession.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Isn't it kind of difficult for a post player to feed the ball to herself. This is not about Griner not demanding the ball, this is about players not looking for her. This has always puzzled me...how the team forgets that she is their bread and butter.

Griner is much more aggressive this year but Mulkey better teach this team that when things get tough you go to your best playear. Sims was a close second today. WOW...what a performance.
Yes, it's the guards' job to get the post player the ball, but I didn't see her raise a hand or do anything else that post players do to call for it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Yes, it's the guards' job to get the post player the ball, but I didn't see her raise a hand or do anything else that post players do to call for it.

I think you are right. I didn't see her raise her hand the entire game. I'm not sure how those 32 points were attributed to her. I saw multiple times where she established position and the ball was not fed to her. Inexcusable in my opinion.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think you are right. I didn't see her raise her hand the entire game. I'm not sure how those 32 points were attributed to her. I saw multiple times where she established position and the ball was not fed to her. Inexcusable in my opinion.
The issue was that during the first 7:30 of the second half, she barely touched the ball, and this corresponded to the time when ND went on their run. I noticed the same behavior by Griner against TAMU in the regional semis and against UConn a little more than a year ago. Her game is getting better and better, but I want to see her cut opponents' hearts out when they try to make a run. Tina did it, Candace did it, and Brittney needs to do it. In this game, ND cut the deficit to one, Sims made some plays, ND went cold again, and the deficit went back up. Next time things are tight, I'd like to see Griner be the focal point. It will serve Baylor extremely well in the long run.

Reaction Score
It's Geno's influence!

SEMPER: You mean Griner was spending most of her time at the top of the foul circle????? :rolleyes: :D I just couldn't HELP myself......and on a Sunday, no less. (I didn't see the game...but I assume Griner spent MOST of her time in the low post?? )

Reaction Score
Notre Dame was using double teams and triple teams against Griner to deny her opportunities on offense. So the ball had to be spread around to other players.

Griner scored 32 points on 14-18 shooting and she also got to the line a few times. She took more shots than any other Lady Bear.

All in all, Baylor scored 94 points against Notre Dame. So Baylor must have been doing something right on offense.

TC

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The issue was that during the first 7:30 of the second half, she barely touched the ball, and this corresponded to the time when ND went on their run. I noticed the same behavior by Griner against TAMU in the regional semis and against UConn a little more than a year ago. Her game is getting better and better, but I want to see her cut opponents' hearts out when they try to make a run. Tina did it, Candace did it, and Brittney needs to do it. In this game, ND cut the deficit to one, Sims made some plays, ND went cold again, and the deficit went back up. Next time things are tight, I'd like to see Griner be the focal point. It will serve Baylor extremely well in the long run.

Griner cannot be the focal point without her guards passing her the ball. I frequently feel that Mulkey does not do a good enough job of driving that point home to the guards. They go on stretches where they don't even look in her direction. Hopefully she will start the heart-cutting on December 18.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Another thing that Mulkey allows to happen that drives me crazy is letting Griner drift out to the top of the key to guard the opposing post player. My goodness, plant her under the basket until the opposing player proves that she can knock down the 15-footer on a consistent basis.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Another thing that Mulkey allows to happen that drives me crazy is letting Griner drift out to the top of the key to guard the opposing post player. My goodness, plant her under the basket until the opposing player proves that she can knock down the 15-footer on a consistent basis.
I agree whole-heartedly. I'd be perfectly happy to let Peters take 15 footers. Or Dolson, for that matter.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Dolson will make you pay for that, alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom