Greg Lloyd Jr. left UConn for the NFL in 2011. Ten years later, he graduated: 'I needed to finish' (Mike Anthony) | The Boneyard

Greg Lloyd Jr. left UConn for the NFL in 2011. Ten years later, he graduated: 'I needed to finish' (Mike Anthony)

Reaction Score
Kinda got lost in the hockey/football shuffle - good read on Greg Lloyd Jr:

-> Lou Spanos is the interim coach. There’s a connection there, even if Lloyd didn’t realize it. Spanos was a Steelers defensive assistant in 1995-2009, spending three years coaching Lloyd’s father. “Then he probably knows me, because I feel like in my younger years, in my earliest years, I kind of grew up in the Steelers locker room,” Lloyd said. Spanos said, “I remember Greg Jr. back in 1995. I’d say, ‘Hey, little guy.’”

Not only that … “I coached him with the Titans when he had a tryout in 2014 or 2015,” said Spanos, who was linebackers coach with the Titans in 2014-17. “So I coached the dad and the son. I coached Greg Jr. for a weekend and I was like, my god, he’s like his father, demonstrative. We had a good team and he didn’t get a spot but you saw the athletic ability, the football instinct.” <-

-> Lloyd stays in touch with Andy Baylock, UConn’s longtime baseball coach, who has been the football program’s director of alumni and community affairs for the past 17 years. He is close with several former teammates. He’s proud of the pictures that hang in Burton and the Shenkman Training Center — one of him knocking Allen’s helmet to the sky, one of him making a tackle while teammate Jesse Joseph assists.

He keeps in touch with Kozaryn, too, who is interested in having Lloyd return for a May commencement ceremony. “We would touch base every couple months,” Kozaryn said. “I was like, ‘I know your capabilities — and you promised your mother.’ He was a smart and good student when he wanted to be, and that’s how we became connected, because he wasn’t doing what he was supposed to be doing.

“We spent a lot of time making sure he stayed on track and then he just got comfortable with that aspect of it, knowing I’d just call him out on everything. We joke about it now. There has been a lot of growth and he recognized that he needed to finish this because he was so close and it’s such a big accomplishment.” <-

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
10 years.....sigh.

Great story. Easy to admire his perseverance.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
These are the stories that we need to hear about in college athletics
Congrats Greg Lloyd Jr

Reaction Score
If only had eligibility left- oh how I miss the days when we hit people with controlled anger

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom