Greetings UConn Fans | The Boneyard

Greetings UConn Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was directed to this board by a UConn fan on a Baylor message board. I am a big time hoops junkie and while Big 12 and basketball in the state of Texas have improved dramatically the past decade, the passion and knowledge of the game can still be lacking at times. I thought I would check out this forum and talk college hoops with the UConn diehards.

A few quick hits as an intro:

1. I am a Baylor and University of Texas fan, but I am most of all a fan of the great game. I am absolutely thrilled for this season as I think it has the potential to be one of the most exciting NCAA tourneys in a long time. As I have been discussing this on the Baylor board - UConn, UNC, Texas, Baylor, and many of the usual bluebloods will all be loaded with talent, some if it young but capable of stepping up on the big stage. My top sleepers are the University of North Texas (trust me on this one), Arkansas, and Alabama - for starters.

2. I have coached AAU basketball for a few years (for free as I have a full time job). The past season we had a great year, and in fact 2 players are headed to St. Thomas More (where Andre Drummond went to high school) for a prep year. 3 other kids will be prepping on the East Coast with one each at Hargrave Military, Winchendon, and The Hun School. All have NCAA grades but are looking to develop as players and gain more D1 exposure. Check out www.triumphwhitebasketball.com for info on those kids. I don't know that UConn has seen any of them, but a few of those young men could be quality mid to high D1 players going forward. Charles Buggs, Nick Victor, and Barrington Stevens in particular. There is also a 7'2 kid named Chier Ajou who is from South Sudan. He is a New Mexico commit and will be very interesting to watch develop. His inside game needs refining but he has only played a few years and can rain the 3 actually! If you are near St. Thomas More they will be worth checking out this season. And on that note CONGRATS on adding Drummond this season. Huge addition!

3. The AAU experience has been thrilling, difficult, and as you can imagine very interesting. The word "AAU" brings a very negative connotation, but most teams/kids are just trying to get enough $$ to travel and play and are doing anything possible just to get looks from any D1...or D2...or D3. I firmly believe the NCAA would be much better off relaxing all the rules, and particulary allowing the Olympic amateurism model where kids can at least make $$ of their own image, jersey, etc. That is amatuerism in a world athletic enviroment and college sports is a BILLION $$$ business. I think relaxing recruiting rules and going to that model would go a long ways towards cleaning up these "scandals." With that said, I generally think the NCAA is well intentioned and has an impossibly difficult job trying to monitor everything these coaches, schools, and kids are doing.

4. Overall I am looking for some quality basketball discussion and hope I can contribute to the board in a positive manner.

Congrats on the National Title and good luck in 2011-2012!

Reaction Score
Thank you for posting and the info.
Fans of other teams that want to talk NCAA basketball are always welcome here.
With all the talk of the 4-5 teams that really are loaded this year there will 3-4 teams that surprise everyone as usual- like we did last year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Bono, welcome.

It's good to see you on here. While not a hardcore fan, I've always appreciated your music. Especially your work on The Joshua tree, one of the seminal albums of the 1980s. Your later albums did not resonate as completely for me, but often did contain some fantastic individual songs. Nonetheless, your lyrics remain strong to this day. It's hard to compete with lyrics like "All the promises we made, from the cradle to the grave...." from All I want Is You, but even still, your more recent phraseology measures up to some of those classics.

Now, music aside, I have to say that I'm not a fan of your constant fussing over Africa. It comes off as overly sanctimonious, incessant whining and, quite frankly, takes away from the overall seriousness of your cause. Now, don't get me wrong, I appreciate that your heart is in the right place. It's just that you seem to be going about it in the wrong fashion, as sense of tact if you will. I also think you should look into the fact that simply giving clothes and food to African peoples quite possibly does more harm than good. I know that sounds crazy, but just ponder it for a second. It puts local farmers, textilers, seamstresses and haberdashers out of business, creating a significant drag on local economies. Economies have to start ground up, and when you keep undercutting the foundation, you undermine the entire symbiosis. Perhaps a better use of your time and money could be spent by helping to improve the general infrastructure of Africa, upon which an economy can thrive. Or even in fighting corruption in some manner. Just some things to think about.

Anyway, I'd like to welcome you to the board, and greatly look forward to your participation in both UConn and MCBB discussions. Your international perspective could be highly valued here, as I expect you've done some serious scouting on your many forays in Africa. In case you didn't realize, we've had a number of African players over the years at UConn, some of which worked out and some didn't. Definitely excited for your input along those lines!

Cheers,

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Hey bono, I'm a UT alum (2000).

I think Bama and Arkansas are good sleeper picks, and think that uconn drawing Arkansas in the big east/sec challenge should be a good game. Baylor looks to be going up, while UT won't be nearly as good as they've been. I'm still waiting for UT to get over the hump, although I'm not sure when that will happen, especially with Barnes.

Reaction Score
I was directed to this board by a UConn fan on a Baylor message board. I am a big time hoops junkie and while Big 12 and basketball in the state of Texas have improved dramatically the past decade, the passion and knowledge of the game can still be lacking at times. I thought I would check out this forum and talk college hoops with the UConn diehards.

1. I am a Baylor and University of Texas fan, but I am most of all a fan of the great game. I am absolutely thrilled for this season as I think it has the potential to be one of the most exciting NCAA tourneys in a long time. As I have been discussing this on the Baylor board - UConn, UNC, Texas, Baylor, and many of the usual bluebloods will all be loaded with talent, some if it young but capable of stepping up on the big stage. My top sleepers are the University of North Texas (trust me on this one), Arkansas, and Alabama - for starters.

2. I have coached AAU basketball for a few years (for free as I have a full time job). The past season we had a great year, and in fact 2 players are headed to St. Thomas More (where Andre Drummond went to high school) for a prep year. 3 other kids will be prepping on the East Coast with one each at Hargrave Military, Winchendon, and The Hun School. All have NCAA grades but are looking to develop as players and gain more D1 exposure. Check out www.triumphwhitebasketball.com for info on those kids. I don't know that UConn has seen any of them, but a few of those young men could be quality mid to high D1 players going forward. Charles Buggs, Nick Victor, and Barrington Stevens in particular. There is also a 7'2 kid named Chier Ajou who is from South Sudan. He is a New Mexico commit and will be very interesting to watch develop. His inside game needs refining but he has only played a few years and can rain the 3 actually! If you are near St. Thomas More they will be worth checking out this season. And on that note CONGRATS on adding Drummond this season. Huge addition!

3. The AAU experience has been thrilling, difficult, and as you can imagine very interesting. The word "AAU" brings a very negative connotation, but most teams/kids are just trying to get enough $$ to travel and play and are doing anything possible just to get looks from any D1...or D2...or D3. I firmly believe the NCAA would be much better off relaxing all the rules, and particulary allowing the Olympic amateurism model where kids can at least make $$ of their own image, jersey, etc. That is amatuerism in a world athletic enviroment and college sports is a BILLION $$$ business. I think relaxing recruiting rules and going to that model would go a long ways towards cleaning up these "scandals." With that said, I generally think the NCAA is well intentioned and has an impossibly difficult job trying to monitor everything these coaches, schools, and kids are doing.

4. Overall I am looking for some quality basketball discussion and hope I can contribute to the board in a positive manner.

Incredible first post and welcome aboard! I am going to pick your brain as the season approaches! LOVE having diversity and a true basketball mind to chat with! Now let me contune to read this great post so I can learn a few things!

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how Pierre Jackson JC player of the year acclimates himself to the dynamics of the Baylor team. Baylor seems loaded in the front court and Brady Heslip will have to be a consistent threat from the perimeter. I had Baylor on my radar last year. Is there a link to the Baylor board? I think the Boneyard has a separate thread to add the Baylor link. Interesting looks like Chier Ajou is a Hasheem Thabeet type that can drain the 3 ball? Seems like the type of kid JC has found under the radar most of his career.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=809E62D9LXs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=809E62D9LXs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwDlGC9a4yI

Reaction Score
Baylor's most well known site is baylorfans.com - though I have to warn you that the site can be overrun by basketball ignorance and just your general jacka$$es

a new site - www.beartruth.com - just started. i have not had time to check it out too much yet.

Baylor was vastly overrated last year because we had no depth. people also didnt understand just how good epke udoh and tweety carter really were. this season the bears are indeed loaded, and depth will not be an issue. Keep an eye out for big man cory jefferson. i was shocked that he redshirted last season as a former Houston Rockets GM was raving about him at the Elite 8 in Houston 2 years ago. he should be a break out player in the Big 12 playing alongside Jackson, Perry Jones, etc (and Quincy Miller once he is NCAA cleared).

as for the Texas Longhorns - hook em my fellow longhorn. I do have dual allegiances but love the horns along with the Bears. I am not the biggest fan of Barnes game day coaching, especially line ups. however, Texas does go to the NCAA year after year with high Big 12 finishes. the horns play hard and defend, and he continues to bring in talent.

i think texas has a lot more talent coming in that people realize - three 4 stars and a 5 star, plus ashton gibbs brother sterling gibbs at PG as a late addition. i firmly believe Texas will be in the Big 12 mix again. the Big 12 race is wide open with Kansas, Texas, Baylor, Kansas State and a couple of other teams in the mix for the title.

next subject will be THE breakout player in CBB at the University of North Texas - Tony Mitchell. Best player in America next season...potentially. you heard it here first. NCAA rules forced him to sit out last season (signed with Missouri as highest rated recruit ever), but a loophole allows a player to pay his own way, walk on, and become eligible after 1 year. Tony has completed a spring semester at UNT, summer coursework, and will be eligible once grades post mid-December. when you see Tony Mitchell on sportscenter - you heard it here first!

as for the rest of this week - keep an eye on the BAYLOR BEARS friday night as dynamic QB Robert Griffin looks to upset TCU. the new DC Phil Bennett is the other key. last year was ugly, but I think the Bears give the Horned Frogs a run.

Reaction Score
Tony Mitchell seems like the sleeper of the century. Makes me want to head to Vegas and see if there is a # up for UNT as a futures wager. Are you saying that UNT has a chance to slip in as last years VCU? I wonder if the house would pay out on those odds maybe 5000/1. Any other good teams coming out of the Sun Belt this year besides UNT? My concern this year with UConn is they may have a very turnover prone PG is SN (Napier) similar to how Walton played last year. SN will be given the keys to the Benz but the designated driver will be Mr. Boatright. I really focus on guard play as the card that will give a team the winning hand.

Reaction Score
Tony Mitchell played with Jeremy on the U19 team. To be honest he looked alright. Certainly has potential. But best player in America seems a little crazy

Reaction Score
Mitchell got good pub from the U-19 tourney. While I also think best player in the land is a stretch, he should give teams in his conference fits.

This season is huge for Scott Drew. He has begun to develop the reputation as a mediocre game coach and terrific recruiter. With the amount of talent on this squad, his coaching chops (or lack of) should be revealed.

Reaction Score
I know it's possibly a stretch, but at fiba he kept getting into foul trouble. He led the team in blocks and reb playing like 15 mpg

The overall combo of size, strength, skill is as good is anyone in america. I do believe that.

Crucial year for drew at Baylor. Have to win games with that roster.

Reaction Score
Coach B,

Let me pose this question to you. I posted a subject heading post relating to Andre Drummond and free throw shooting. My concern and I am admittedly hyper sensitive to poor free through shooting is....To WHAT EXTENT will this act as a liability throughout the course of the season. Lets assume he hovers around the 50% range. The follow up to this is as a coach what do you concentrate on to improve the %. Dwight Howard just hired a free throw coach. I have resigned myself to the fact AD will provide an incredible defense presence but at what price on the offensive end? Granted our options appear to drop off significantly on paper (Tyler. Wolf and Bradley) as second options.

Between now and our first game is it plausible to see a significant improvement? It is just painful watching games knowing a team can take the 12th man off the bench (or any player for that matter) to use as a designated "fouler" for lack of a better word. Am I to concerned about this dynamic?

BLUEDOGHOUSE

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One questyion Bono,

When are you, The Edge, Larry & Adam touring again?

Reaction Score
Coach B,

Let me pose this question to you. I posted a subject heading post relating to Andre Drummond and free throw shooting. My concern and I am admittedly hyper sensitive to poor free through shooting is....To WHAT EXTENT will this act as a liability throughout the course of the season. Lets assume he hovers around the 50% range. The follow up to this is as a coach what do you concentrate on to improve the %. Dwight Howard just hired a free throw coach. I have resigned myself to the fact AD will provide an incredible defense presence but at what price on the offensive end? Granted our options appear to drop off significantly on paper (Tyler. Wolf and Bradley) as second options.

Between now and our first game is it plausible to see a significant improvement? It is just painful watching games knowing a team can take the 12th man off the bench (or any player for that matter) to use as a designated "fouler" for lack of a better word. Am I to concerned about this dynamic?

BLUEDOGHOUSE

I wouldnt be too concerned because the opposing team is not going to be in the bonus for most of the game. teams are not going to rack up fouls just to get to the bonus, so the only time i would imagine they foul him is if he is in a position to score underneath - and thats a good thing.

you can run into issues late in halfs/games when the bonus is in effect, but even then many coaches are hesitant to play the hack-a-player strategy.

overall i think you could run into it here and there, but i dont see it as a problem to really worry about. of course the best way to solve it is to knock down the free points!

Reaction Score
Baylor's most well known site is baylorfans.com - though I have to warn you that the site can be overrun by basketball ignorance and just your general jacka$$es

a new site - www.beartruth.com - just started. i have not had time to check it out too much yet.

Baylor was vastly overrated last year because we had no depth. people also didnt understand just how good epke udoh and tweety carter really were. this season the bears are indeed loaded, and depth will not be an issue. Keep an eye out for big man cory jefferson. i was shocked that he redshirted last season as a former Houston Rockets GM was raving about him at the Elite 8 in Houston 2 years ago. he should be a break out player in the Big 12 playing alongside Jackson, Perry Jones, etc (and Quincy Miller once he is NCAA cleared).

as for the Texas Longhorns - hook em my fellow longhorn. I do have dual allegiances but love the horns along with the Bears. I am not the biggest fan of Barnes game day coaching, especially line ups. however, Texas does go to the NCAA year after year with high Big 12 finishes. the horns play hard and defend, and he continues to bring in talent.

i think texas has a lot more talent coming in that people realize - three 4 stars and a 5 star, plus ashton gibbs brother sterling gibbs at PG as a late addition. i firmly believe Texas will be in the Big 12 mix again. the Big 12 race is wide open with Kansas, Texas, Baylor, Kansas State and a couple of other teams in the mix for the title.

next subject will be THE breakout player in CBB at the University of North Texas - Tony Mitchell. Best player in America next season...potentially. you heard it here first. NCAA rules forced him to sit out last season (signed with Missouri as highest rated recruit ever), but a loophole allows a player to pay his own way, walk on, and become eligible after 1 year. Tony has completed a spring semester at UNT, summer coursework, and will be eligible once grades post mid-December. when you see Tony Mitchell on sportscenter - you heard it here first!

as for the rest of this week - keep an eye on the BAYLOR BEARS friday night as dynamic QB Robert Griffin looks to upset TCU. the new DC Phil Bennett is the other key. last year was ugly, but I think the Bears give the Horned Frogs a run.

Baylor!! Rg3 for heisman!!!

Reaction Score
The new site you referenced beartruth.com wants to charge $107 and change that after the 7 day free trial offering. At least they made reference to that # at the end of the registration process. The site probably has some automatic renewal feature to hit your card up for the $107 immediately upon expiry. I missed the TCU/Baylor game last night. Safe to say the over was the call on that 1.

Reaction Score

Welcome aboard. We appreciate intelligent hoops discussion regardless of where you hail from. Wow, a thousand words in your first 2 posts in this thread! Are you by any chance related to Dogmania?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom