Greetings from Iowa | The Boneyard

Greetings from Iowa

Reaction Score
Just wanted to hop on and tell you how enjoyable it's been visiting your site: posters are both knowledgable and respectful. I haven't found a site elsewhere in the nation where there are intelligent discussions not only on your own team, but womens' basketball from coast to coast. You are quite lucky.

Being from the Des Moines metro area have had the chance to watch Caitlin Clark numerous times in person beginning in her freshman year; we were thrilled to see her stay in Iowa. Our high school played her five times, and actually came away with 4 victories!

Tomorrow's game will be an adventure for us; my fear is that most of the team may be intimidated by your well-deserved reputation. In our 1st round game vs Central Michigan, the moment almost seemed too big for anyone not named Clark....lots of nerves. If Iowa plays that way Saturday we'll be lucky to stay within 30.

The Kentucky game was probably our best performance of the year....certainly on the defensive end. I think the team finally realized it's possible to play defense too....most of the year it's leaned towards the "Ole" style of D. If they play without fear they could stay close. My "over/under" number is 42: if the players not named Clark/Czinano score at least 42 points and UConn shoots under 42% it could be a tense finish. My prediction: UConn 85, Iowa 70.

Wish I could direct you to an equally good Iowa website for those interested. Once upon a time HawkeyeNation.com was a great visit...they do still at least have a Womens Basketball forum, but posts are scarce and many discussions rapidly deteriorate into juvenile trash-talking. Jeff Linder at the Cedar Rapids Gazette does a phenomenal job with girls high school basketball in Iowa, and does put up some nice non-biased stuff on the Iowa women: Jeff Linder | The Gazette - Cedar Rapids, Iowa City.

Hope the game is injury-free and well-officiated. Good luck to both teams!

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Ditto what my colleague Zanzman said. This board is full of people who really like wcbb, some of whom are UConn fans. We probably suffer from the same homerism that afflicts every loyal fan base, but it's usually not too over-the-top.

Just to help you avoid problems—In-game discussions of UConn games are limited to the Chat room. There is a link to that up at the top. A few of the most exuberant may get a little rowdy, hurling invective at our own players and coaches. The main board and General (non-UConn) boards display vigorous, civil discussion and disagreement.

Seems we aren't the only ones paying attention to this afternoon's event.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Bjbod, your Hawkeyes are an exciting team that’s playing its very best basketball right now. While Clark and her teammates deserve a great deal of credit, I’ve felt for many years that Lisa Bluder is one of the very best and most underrated coaches in WBB. Looking forward to the game today with great anticipation.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Question for you: do you have any insight as to the local recruiting of Clark and Joens?
Did both ISU and Iowa aggressively go after both..or not? If either school had landed both that team would be a final four type talent...no? Granted they play somewhat similar styles...but they both seeming very willing passers. Is it a given that Joens' sisters now in high school will go to ISU? Do you have a sense of the general ISU take on her Dad?

This game is very good for women's hoops...would not mind a bit if Geno gave a call to either/both coaches for a home/home deal....with Iowa a better shot given that next year is Joens last year and the OOC schedules may be already set up.
Maybe Iowa in Caitlin's junior and senior year?

Reaction Score
Bjbod, welcome and thank you for your analysis. Your Hawkeyes did lose 9 games this season so your apprehension is understandable. But they gained lots of confidence and played much better with Clark and Czinamo stepping up. Most of the experts favored UConn but I hope and predict for a well fought game today.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bjbod, your analyses of possible outcomes makes a lot of sense to me. If Iowa limits 'bad' turnovers and everyone shoots about the same as in the past month, they could stay within 10-20 points. Similar to Maryland games. If people get nervous and miss shots they normally make, could be a 40 point loss. Assuming Iowa brings their 'A' game, the biggest difference will be Uconn's Olivia Nelson-Ododa and Aaliyah Edwards in the middle. They will control the boards and make driving to the basket difficult. If one (Edwards in particular) or both were to get into foul trouble, things might get interesting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@Bjbod welcome to the board. If you’ve enjoyed Boneyard, feel free to keep visiting after the game. Although we are a UConn board, we have posters from across the nation and fans of many other teams.

I am looking forward to this game. Caitlin Clark is playing as well as anyone nation. While Iowa does have nine losses on the season, it is playing its best basketball now. That, an incredibly talented point guard and a big who can finish makes them a very dangerous team.

Thanks for stopping by.

Reaction Score
Question for you: do you have any insight as to the local recruiting of Clark and Joens?
Did both ISU and Iowa aggressively go after both..or not? If either school had landed both that team would be a final four type talent...no? Granted they play somewhat similar styles...but they both seeming very willing passers. Is it a given that Joens' sisters now in high school will go to ISU? Do you have a sense of the general ISU take on her Dad?

This game is very good for women's hoops...would not mind a bit if Geno gave a call to either/both coaches for a home/home deal....with Iowa a better shot given that next year is Joens last year and the OOC schedules may be already set up.
Maybe Iowa in Caitlin's junior and senior year?
Joens' older sister went to Illinois, and at the time I never thought much about it. When Ashley signed with ISU I was disappointed, but thought maybe she just liked Fennelly more. No surprise then her younger sister followed her there. I've read the rules on discussing rumors on this board so I better leave that topic alone. Cyclone Fanatic is a good site to explore the ISU vibe.

While both were in high school I said if I could pick one to have on my team (high school level) I'd pick Joens. I'm probably old school and value solid all-around play without dominating. Every game I'd watch Caitlin in I'd catch myself saying, 'Just because you can get a shot, doesn't mean it's a good shot'. Wasn't like her teammates were not good players; just think they never could stay in the flow of the game when 28 foot 3's may randomly go up. Seems like this Iowa team and Caitlin have learned how to coexist well.

Since Caitlin went to a Catholic school, we always thought she would end up at Notre Dame. At one point Iowa was no longer in the running and then late apparently she called Bluder and asked if she would still consider having her come to Iowa? ? Jennie Baranczyk at Drake is a great up and coming coach, went to Dowling Catholic (Caitlin's HS) and Iowa as well....thought they could have been a darkhorse to snag her locally.

Iowa did play UConn 5 or 6 times back around 2000 I believe; that would be an awesome series for both of us and nationally as well. ISU is overstocked with good guards but needs help inside; they do have 2 6'4" girls coming up and with the COVID rules senior Kirsten Scott could potentially return Iowa State women's basketball had a breakthrough season in 2020-21. Next year should be even better.. They're fun to watch too.

Here's to a well-played contest today.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Iowa is a legitimate opponent with an opportunity to step up to a moment. I think we're a tough matchup for Czinano. Biggest worry for me is you getting your second three point shooter (Martin?) going, I think she had a 7-11 game earlier in the year. Defending three hot scoring options is obviously a more difficult proposition. I don't think anyone here is taking Iowa lightly but we are accustomed to UConn taking care of its' business. The chaff is gone, this is where it starts getting real.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just wanted to hop on and tell you how enjoyable it's been visiting your site: posters are both knowledgable and respectful. I haven't found a site elsewhere in the nation where there are intelligent discussions not only on your own team, but womens' basketball from coast to coast. You are quite lucky.

Being from the Des Moines metro area have had the chance to watch Caitlin Clark numerous times in person beginning in her freshman year; we were thrilled to see her stay in Iowa. Our high school played her five times, and actually came away with 4 victories!

Tomorrow's game will be an adventure for us; my fear is that most of the team may be intimidated by your well-deserved reputation. In our 1st round game vs Central Michigan, the moment almost seemed too big for anyone not named Clark....lots of nerves. If Iowa plays that way Saturday we'll be lucky to stay within 30.

The Kentucky game was probably our best performance of the year....certainly on the defensive end. I think the team finally realized it's possible to play defense too....most of the year it's leaned towards the "Ole" style of D. If they play without fear they could stay close. My "over/under" number is 42: if the players not named Clark/Czinano score at least 42 points and UConn shoots under 42% it could be a tense finish. My prediction: UConn 85, Iowa 70.

Wish I could direct you to an equally good Iowa website for those interested. Once upon a time HawkeyeNation.com was a great visit...they do still at least have a Womens Basketball forum, but posts are scarce and many discussions rapidly deteriorate into juvenile trash-talking. Jeff Linder at the Cedar Rapids Gazette does a phenomenal job with girls high school basketball in Iowa, and does put up some nice non-biased stuff on the Iowa women: Jeff Linder | The Gazette - Cedar Rapids, Iowa City.

My brother lives right outside Des Moines also. He texted me last nite asking "did you know Iowa was playing your Huskies tomorrow"? I told him yes, I was quite aware of that. :cool: He was telling me all about Clark. Although he thinks it'll be UCONN by about 15-20.

Reaction Score

Welcome to the boneyard!! I have to record the game and watch it later but I hope it’s a barn burner. Thanks for your great insight on this thread. I hope it’s also a fair game and no one gets injured. Let’s play ball!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Bjbod: appreciate your response.

Do you remember Nadine Domond? Went to Iowa as part of a deep recruiting class....high school class of 1994.
She was from Bridgeport Ct and a wildly talented combo guard. Nykesha Sales was a contemporary and chose UConn...a big help to UConn's first ring in 1995. UConn pursued Nadine..she was as talented as Nykesha imo. C. Viv won her over for Iowa....though Stringer left for Rutgers maybe after Nadine's frosh year.

Iowa came back to Storrs for a 'coming-home' game for Nadine. She played well but UConn won pretty handily.
Geno and Nadine exhanged hugs and friendly exchanges mid-court after the game.

Waiting with great anticipation for 1:00 est.

Last edited:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
UConn in its' 27th straight s16, looking for its' 15th straight e8, still alive for a 13th straight f4 and hoping to start a new streak of Natty's. That's a lot at stake.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
That's insane and so impressive. Better than Alabama football, for example.
The kids of course weren't here for most of it but they feel it...

Reaction Score
Iowa is a legitimate opponent with an opportunity to step up to a moment. I think we're a tough matchup for Czinano. Biggest worry for me is you getting your second three point shooter (Martin?) going, I think she had a 7-11 game earlier in the year. Defending three hot scoring options is obviously a more difficult proposition. I don't think anyone here is taking Iowa lightly but we are accustomed to UConn taking care of its' business. The chaff is gone, this is where it starts getting real.
Martin, Marshall and Warnock have all had their moments, and all shoot over 40 from three. Martin had a game 5-5 from 3 with 11 assists and no turnovers, Marshall had six first half threes in a Big 10 Tourney game, and Warnock had 11 straight Iowa points after Central Michigan cut it to six in the third quarter. There was an outlier game in January when Clark went to the bench for a quick breather with 5 minutes left and down by 6 to Purdue, and the rest of the team went on a 17-2 run without her (mostly led by Warnock) to come back and win. Their ability to shoot the 3 ball opens up space for Clark and allows Czinano to avoid double teams in the post.

They are an excellent offensive team across the board, but everyone‘s job is made easier by the constant threat Clark provides. Take her off the floor and they’d be more reliant on screens and ball movement to get shots, since nobody else can create shots the way she can.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom