Greatest Shots in NCAA Tournament History | The Boneyard

Greatest Shots in NCAA Tournament History

Reaction Score
i know of a few shots I'm already gonna dislike without even clicking the video. I'll decide whether to dislike your post or not after dinner.
Im sure their are a few shots on this 10 minute video that every fan of any school wont like thus the reason i posted it in general lol but it was great to see the evolution of the game. 2018 was one hell of a final 4 if not the greatest in women's college basketball history . 3 games 3 OT's 2 buzzer beaters. Talk about moving the needle !!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Im sure their are a few shots on this 10 minute video that every fan of any school wont like thus the reason i posted it in general lol but it was great to see the evolution of the game. 2018 was one hell of a final 4 if not the greatest in women's college basketball history . 3 games 3 OT's 2 buzzer beaters. Talk about moving the needle !!

Do they do them in chronological order? If so I can watch until 2005.. and skip ahead to 2007

Reaction Score
I don't know how you have this list without Jeanette Pohlen's 4.4 seconds.

Probably to save Xavier the embarrassment of those classic 3 missed layups being defender by Casper LOL

Reaction Score

This was a nice 10 minutes down memory lane . Thought i would share with everyone else here :) #Enjoy

Very rarely can I remember exactly what I was doing when a sports play like this happens. However for three of these I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing. Obviously I remember the Mississippi State win versus UConn and the loss to Notre Dame. The other is the last second shot by North Carolina in 94. I caught that game purely by chance but that shot was amazing.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Surprisingly there aren't any for Tennessee (aside from Sales but Tennessee went on to win in OT). Although worth noting, the Latta bucket in 2006 vs. Purdue massively hurt Tennessee the next round. #1 overall UNC was a terrible matchup for Tennessee (they had a lightning quick roster playing against a PG-less and turnover prone Tennessee team) and Purdue would've been the much more favorable matchup. Had Tennessee played and beat Purdue, their Final Four streak would've been 6 straight years from 2003-2008.

Reaction Score
Surprisingly there aren't any for Tennessee (aside from Sales but Tennessee went on to win in OT). Although worth noting, the Latta bucket in 2006 vs. Purdue massively hurt Tennessee the next round. #1 overall UNC was a terrible matchup for Tennessee (they had a lightning quick roster playing against a PG-less and turnover prone Tennessee team) and Purdue would've been the much more favorable matchup. Had Tennessee played and beat Purdue, their Final Four streak would've been 6 straight years from 2003-2008.
Tennessee got their revenge in 2008 though in the title game.

Reaction Score
Man, LSU had so many last second heart breaks in the FF, and all of them seemed to occur vs the Lady Vols.

Triad, I only saw one video that would make you upset :oops:….unless you were referring to UNC’s win, but I wouldn’t count that since it didn’t occur against Duke:rolleyes:

Stanford, much like LSU was also on the receiving end of too many last second losses, especially the E8 game that was Nicole Powell’s last shot to get to the F4. She was probably my favorite Stanford player ever, it’s a shame she never made it to the final four. Kinda like the Hayley Jones situation, Powell was forced into playing the point after Susan King’s acl injury and they did not have any other quality backups. Stanford fans feel free to chime in if I’m wrong. That was a few years ago :oops:

I knew this isn’t a popular take on this board, but Arike’s back to back buzzer beaters will forever be the stuff of legend
Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Man, LSU had so many last second heart breaks in the FF, and all of them seemed to occur vs the Lady Vols.

Triad, I only saw one video that would make you upset :oops:….unless you were referring to UNC’s win, but I wouldn’t count that since it didn’t occur against Duke:rolleyes:

Stanford, much like LSU was also on the receiving end of too many last second losses, especially the E8 game that was Nicole Powell’s last shot to get to the F4. She was probably my favorite Stanford player ever, it’s a shame she never made it to the final four. Kinda like the Hayley Jones situation, Powell was forced into playing the point after Susan King’s acl injury and they did not have any other quality backups. Stanford fans feel free to chime in if I’m wrong. That was a few years ago :oops:

I knew this isn’t a popular take on this board, but Arike’s back to back buzzer beaters will forever be the stuff of legend
I feel like Stanford was the "heart break" school many times between their 30 year stretch between titles. They had:

1997: Lost in OT to Old Dominion, had 3 shots in finals seconds of OT to take the lead and win the game (this was one of their best teams that often gets forgotten).
1998: Lost in 1st Round as a 1 seed largely due to poor seeding (Harvard had a future WNBA All Star on their team) and injuries to Nygaard/Folkl
2002: Lost by 3 in Sweet 16
2004: Lost on buzzer beater to Tennessee in Elite 8
2006: Lost by 3 to LSU in Elite 8, Stanford likely wins if not for a bad block/charge call in the final seconds.
2010: Blew a big first half lead and wasn't able to capitalize on UCONN having an ice cold shooting night
2011: Lost on last minute layup to A&M. In my opinion this was the best squad Tara's ever had.
2021: Almost choked away a big lead to Arizona, was saved my a buzzer beater miss
2022: Had one of their worst showings of the season in the Final Four

Baylor too has had its share of brutal losses:
2004: controversial foul called in final seconds of Sweet 16 vs Tennessee, lost by 2, otherwise they would've gone to OT)
2013: lost by 1 to Louisville in one of the biggest upsets ever
2016: lost at home in close game to Oregon State in Elite 8
2017: lost the crazy Morgan William OT game to Mississippi State in the Elite 8
2018: lost again to Oregon State in a tough battle in the Sweet 16
2020: would've been a #1 seed with a strong shot to go deep or win it all
2021: lost on controversial no call vs. UCONN in Elite 8

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I feel like Stanford was the "heart break" school many times between their 30 year stretch between titles. They had:

1997: Lost in OT to Old Dominion, had 3 shots in finals seconds of OT to take the lead and win the game (this was one of their best teams that often gets forgotten).
1998: Lost in 1st Round as a 1 seed largely due to poor seeding (Harvard had a future WNBA All Star on their team) and injuries to Nygaard/Folkl
2006: Lost by 3 to LSU in Elite 8, Stanford likely wins if not for a bad block/charge call in the final seconds.
2010: Blew a big first half lead and wasn't able to capitalize on UCONN having an ice cold shooting night
2011: Lost on last minute layup to A&M. In my opinion this was the best squad Tara's ever had.
2021: Almost choked away a big lead to Arizona, was saved my a buzzer beater miss

2004: controversial foul called in final seconds of Sweet 16 vs Tennessee, lost by 2, otherwise they would've gone to OT)

Duke has had some brutal losses as well.

1995 losing in 4 OT's to Alabama 121-120 in the second round
1998 Taking a 72-71 lead with 2 minutes to go in the regional final vs Arkansas... and not scoring again losing 77-72. Sending the 9 seed Arkansas to the Final 4. Still think thats the lowest ever seed to go to a women's final 4.
2001. Being a #1 seed and being up at the half against SW Missouri State. Only to have Jackie Stiles go ballistic in the second half and lose to the Bears.
2004 #1 seed playing a underseeded #7 seed Minnesota in the regional final. collegiate game. The image of the best player (alana beard) in Duke history leaving the court in tears still has me Anti-Gopher to this day.
2006 lets skip over 2006, still too early :(:(:(
2007 I've been to major league basketball games... WNBA games, NFL games, high school football games, college football games, NBA games, NBA Playoff games and so on. #1 Duke losing to Rutgers in the Sweet 16 .. 53-52.. in Greensboro is still the most gut wrenching sports loss I've witnessed in person. The last 60 seconds of that game was an absolute rollercoaster. I'm sure @bballnut90 remembers that one. In retrospect... perhaps I shouldn't have quietly taunted and mocked the Rutgers team during their practice session. :(

Little known fact. Duke went 32-2 that season. 32-0 in games that I didn't attend. 0-2 in games I attended Sorry @CamrnCrz1974 :(:oops:
2009 #1 Seed losing to #8 Michigan State on Michigan State's home floor. The same Michigan State squad that Coach McCallie previously coached. The same Michigan State that McCallie signed a contract extension with right after the 2007 season, only to ditch them a few weeks later to come to Durham. Looking back on the recap.. it was tied 47-47 with 7 minutes to go in the game. Duke doesn't hit another FG and loses 63-49. Needless to say, there is no love for the Spartans in my household. :mad: To make things worse.... Michigan State barely beat MTSU by one point... as the Blue Raiders missed multiple shots in the last ten seconds of the game that would have had them advancing instead of the hated Spartans.

2010... #2 seed in the Regional Final vs Baylor and a freshman Griner... Duke leads in the closing minutes 48-41. Baylor closes the game on a 10-0 run and sends Duke home with another bitter NCAA loss.

2014 Duke loses as a #2 seed on its homecourt to the fake arse blue spirits from Depaul. Mind you Duke played the game without the 3 PG's on the roster (two of which were 1st round WNBA Picks)... so it was a difficult matchup vs the helter skelter Depaul team. Still upset about this one.

2017 One of my favorite Duke teams of all time... the #2 seeded blue devils lost to the upstart #10 seeded Oregon Ducks. Why so brutal? Duke lost its starting PG (Kyra Lambert) to a torn ACL in the first round, so the 3 guard lineup that had been so effective all year was down a key component. Second... Oregon shouldn't have even been playing in the game. In the opening round, they defeated Temple by one point as the Owls missed a layup at the buzzer. Still Anti-Duck five years later.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Duke has had some brutal losses as well.

1995 losing in 4 OT's to Alabama 121-120 in the second round
1998 Taking a 72-71 lead with 2 minutes to go in the regional final vs Arkansas... and not scoring again losing 77-72. Sending the 9 seed Arkansas to the Final 4. Still think thats the lowest ever seed to go to a women's final 4.
2001. Being a #1 seed and being up at the half against SW Missouri State. Only to have Jackie Stiles go ballistic in the second half and lose to the Bears.
2004 #1 seed playing a underseeded #7 seed Minnesota in the regional final. collegiate game. The image of the best player (alana beard) in Duke history leaving the court in tears still has me Anti-Gopher to this day.
2006 lets skip over 2006, still too early :(:(:(
2007 I've been to major league basketball games... WNBA games, NFL games, high school football games, college football games, NBA games, NBA Playoff games and so on. #1 Duke losing to Rutgers in the Sweet 16 .. 53-52.. in Greensboro is still the most gut wrenching sports loss I've witnessed in person. The last 60 seconds of that game was an absolute rollercoaster. I'm sure @bballnut90 remembers that one. In retrospect... perhaps I shouldn't have quietly taunted and mocked the Rutgers team during their practice session. :(

Little known fact. Duke went 32-2 that season. 32-0 in games that I didn't attend. 0-2 in games I attended Sorry @CamrnCrz1974 :(:oops:
2009 #1 Seed losing to #8 Michigan State on Michigan State's home floor. The same Michigan State squad that Coach McCallie previously coached. The same Michigan State that McCallie signed a contract extension with right after the 2007 season, only to ditch them a few weeks later to come to Durham. Looking back on the recap.. it was tied 47-47 with 7 minutes to go in the game. Duke doesn't hit another FG and loses 63-49. Needless to say, there is no love for the Spartans in my household. :mad: To make things worse.... Michigan State barely beat MTSU by one point... as the Blue Raiders missed multiple shots in the last ten seconds of the game that would have had them advancing instead of the hated Spartans.

2010... #2 seed in the Regional Final vs Baylor and a freshman Griner... Duke leads in the closing minutes 48-41. Baylor closes the game on a 10-0 run and sends Duke home with another bitter NCAA loss.

2014 Duke loses as a #2 seed on its homecourt to the fake arse blue spirits from Depaul. Mind you Duke played the game without the 3 PG's on the roster (two of which were 1st round WNBA Picks)... so it was a difficult matchup vs the helter skelter Depaul team. Still upset about this one.

2017 One of my favorite Duke teams of all time... the #2 seeded blue devils lost to the upstart #10 seeded Oregon Ducks. Why so brutal? Duke lost its starting PG (Kyra Lambert) to a torn ACL in the first round, so the 3 guard lineup that had been so effective all year was down a key component. Second... Oregon shouldn't have even been playing in the game. In the opening round, they defeated Temple by one point as the Owls missed a layup at the buzzer. Still Anti-Duck five years later.
2007 was one of the most gut wrenching things I've ever seen in sports. That Duke team was crazy good too. They beat Rutgers by 40 earlier in the year, swept matchups with Maryland/UNC and were the clear top team all season until they faded hard down the stretch. I remember Waner going off against Tennessee, I think they started the game up 24-0 or something like that. They soundly beat all of the top dogs that year after graduating a very good senior class and no one expected them to be a title contender. Harding was SO good that year too. Easily GG's best coaching job.

2010 was extremely painful too. That Duke team was rough to watch offensively but I really thought they had it vs Baylor only to fade at the end.

Also add in 1999--they were within 5 with a few minutes to go before Purdue took over. I dont feel bad though since they ended Holdsclaw career in brutal fashion.

Reaction Score

Nicole Powell was stanford's all everything , i really enjoyed watching her play along the likes of Kelly Mazzante back in those days. Pure shooters , but Powell was just everywhere on the floor from the 1 to 5 . I was a teenager back then but i did not realize LSU went to the F4 5 times in a row with 4 different coaches and never made it to a title game. Looking back that recruiting class took a lot on the Chin with Sue Gunter retiring , Pokey stepping in and stepping out with a player , Starkey not being named HC after interim getting to a F4 , Chancellor bringing his WNBA pedigree and mississippi twang all in a 5 year period and yet they still were successful. They just honestly needed a consistent leader and they could have won at least 1 of those national titles preferably 2005.
2004 - Tennessee - Gunter
2005 - Baylor - Pokey
2006 - Duke - Pokey
2007 - Rutgers - Starkey
2008 - Tennessee - Chancellor

Reaction Score
Gee, A Morgan William, Ogunbowale relive. No thanks.
This is why i posted it on the general board versus the main board , i knew some people would not like the stroll down memory lane. At least it starts with Sales and the Tenn OT win in the natty game . And Barb Turners miraculous step back to the DMV 3 to beat Georgia in the S16 was lovely !!!

Reaction Score

I will never forget the Notre dame debacle where they got screwed and robbed without a job on the irish's home floor during the Elite 8 in Odyssey sims senior year. Free throws were 34 - 18 in favor of Notre dame as they pushed the storyline with ESPN of being Undefeated and meeting up with UCONN the other undefeated only to lose in the title game embarrassingly lol .

Reaction Score
2007- #1 Duke losing to Rutgers in the Sweet 16 .. 53-52.. in Greensboro is still the most gut wrenching sports loss

Awe wow the Harding year....tough memories i forgot about that as well , i was a huge Gail Goestenkors fan and her passion she installed in her team. They always looked like they were locked in and having fun .

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I will never forget the Notre dame debacle where they got screwed and robbed without a job on the irish's home floor during the Elite 8 in Odyssey sims senior year. Free throws were 34 - 18 in favor of Notre dame as they pushed the storyline with ESPN of being Undefeated and meeting up with UCONN the other undefeated only to lose in the title game embarrassingly lol .
To be fair Notre Dame won that game by 19 and was in control the entire way despite Baylor making a run to get within 5 midway through the 2nd half. I don't think there was any conspiracy in regards to the refs that game. Notre Dame also lost their All American center Natalie Achonwa that game which UCONN was able to majorly exploit in the championship.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Nicole Powell was stanford's all everything , i really enjoyed watching her play along the likes of Kelly Mazzante back in those days. Pure shooters , but Powell was just everywhere on the floor from the 1 to 5 . I was a teenager back then but i did not realize LSU went to the F4 5 times in a row with 4 different coaches and never made it to a title game. Looking back that recruiting class took a lot on the Chin with Sue Gunter retiring , Pokey stepping in and stepping out with a player , Starkey not being named HC after interim getting to a F4 , Chancellor bringing his WNBA pedigree and mississippi twang all in a 5 year period and yet they still were successful. They just honestly needed a consistent leader and they could have won at least 1 of those national titles preferably 2005.
2004 - Tennessee - Gunter
2005 - Baylor - Pokey
2006 - Duke - Pokey
2007 - Rutgers - Starkey
2008 - Tennessee - Chancellor

2005 was their best shot. They were #1 overall, Augustus was the consensus POY, Temeka Johnson was a senior and they had Fowles as a freshman. Very good lineup top to bottom. IIRC they had a big lead vs Baylor too before Baylor took over.

2008 they had a great shot too matched up vs. Stanford, especially considering how much Stanford struggled going against Tennessee's defense. LSU also massively benefitted playing regionals at home despite being a 2 seed. I don't think they beat UNC that year on a neutral court in the Elite 8.

2004 was somewhat of a Cinderella run to reach the Final Four, though they came extremely close to beating Tennessee. They probably lose to UCONN but it would've been an interesting matchup.

2006 and 2007 they were throttled in the semis, both times by the team who would lose in the finals. They had good squads but teams that get crushed like that late in the season aren't usually title caliber squads.

Reaction Score
To be fair Notre Dame won that game by 19 and was in control the entire way despite Baylor making a run to get within 5 midway through the 2nd half. I don't think there was any conspiracy in regards to the refs that game. Notre Dame also lost their All American center Natalie Achonwa that game which UCONN was able to majorly exploit in the championship.
They controlled the game from the free throw line. The entire game , there was no possibly way for baylor to go on a run because the foul count was ridiculously in favor of ND .

Reaction Score
As expected there were shots I liked and shots I didn't. I'd not go so far as to say all of them were "great" but they were clutch for sure.

The 2018 FF with ND/MSU/UConn/Louis remains the best FF I've ever watched as any of the 4 teams could have won and all three games were nail biters.

Arike made two shots for the ages but it's easy to forget about Charlotte Smith's shot given how long ago it happened. This video reminded me what a terrfic shot it truly was. Also I will never forget the 08 LVs FF ending with Parker taking the ball up to have Anosike miss but Hornbuckle put it back. Same wtih Toliver getting Maryland to OT against what probably was Duke's best team.

Lastly I agree Pohlen's shot in 2010 was a clutch as they come. In 2011 I fully expected a Stanford/UConn final but didn't get to see any of the three games live because that's the weekend I moved from Greensboro to the ATL metro area. I will be making what I hope is my last move until retirement in a few weeks as I get back closer to my home state by locating to Memphis.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom