Greatest Performance By a UCONN Women's Player in a National Championship Game | The Boneyard

Greatest Performance By a UCONN Women's Player in a National Championship Game

Reaction Score
Diana's 28 points in 2003 over Tennessee, Tina Charles' 25 points and 19 boards against Louisville in 2009, Maya Moore against Stanford in 2010, or one of Stewie's gems from 2013-2016? That is the easier part. The harder part is greatest performance as a secondary or supporting player in a NC game. As an example only, Strother's 17 points in 2003. Interpret the second category however you want, but pick one in each of the two categories.

Reaction Score
Diana's 28 points in 2003 over Tennessee, Tina Charles' 25 points and 19 boards against Louisville in 2009, Maya Moore against Stanford in 2010, or one of Stewie's gems from 2013-2016? That is the easier part. The harder part is greatest performance as a secondary or supporting player in a NC game. As an example only, Strother's 17 points in 2003. Interpret the second category however you want, but pick one in each of the two categories.

Stef Dolson in 2014. MoJeff in 2015. Mo and Tuck in 2016.

Reaction Score
I would put put some consideration on Kelly Schumaker's 9 block shot game against Tennessee in 2000. Her inside presence basically dictated that game I believe. (Zanzan - I was going to say it should have been ten but gave up arguing that point at lest 2 or 3 years ago!!!!!)

I felt (along with Stewie) that one of the years that she earned the MOP award, MoJeff actually deserved it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Strictly from a “when they needed it most” kind of perspective, I might have to go with Diana (2003) or Maya (2010). If we allow semifinal games then Stewie’s 29 in the semis against ND in 2013 still takes the cake for me because they were 0-3 against ND to that point that season, they won by 18 (would they have been able to score enough without Stewie’s monster game?), and she was merely a freshman at that point. Plus she had a few blocks that were highlight worthy.

Reaction Score
I would put put some consideration on Kelly Schumaker's 9 block shot game against Tennessee in 2000. Her inside presence basically dictated that game I believe. I felt (along with Stewie) that one of the years that she earned the MOP award, MoJeff actually deserved it.
Schuey had 10 blocks refs blew an obvious call

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Edited because I missed the OPs intent with this and added in secondary at the bottom

For best overall performance, DT in 2003 would get my vote, largely because Tennessee had a very good team that year and DT did just enough to get them over the hump both times in two very hard fought games. It was one of the only title games where the outcome truly felt like a toss up going into it. 2004 Tennessee was quite hobbled and it was a team effort with no standout performance.

Moore's 2nd half vs. Stanford would be my #2. Both teams were dreadful in the first half and Moore just took over in the second half and propelled UCONN to a title. Stanford was very good that year too.

Most other titles either didn't have a hugely standout performer (1995, 2002, 2004, 2015) or faced really overmatched competition (2009, 2013, 2014, 2016).

The 2013-2016 stretches were all blowouts besides 2015 which was just an ugly game. Certainly some great performances by Stewart/Dolson/others, but quality of opponent just wasn't nearly as strong so it gets downgraded in my book. 2014 ND had a great team but without Achonwa UCONN's bigs had an absolute field day going up against freshman Taya Reimer and Ariel Braker.

2000 had some great standout performances and Tennessee was very good that year but that was truly a consummate team effort. Ralph/Schumacher were spectacular, but not to the degree of DT in 03 or Moore in 2010. That teams gets my vote for best team title game performance.

Secondary performances....Jessica Moore hit a ton of layups vs Tennessee in 2004 that were a big difference maker.

Asjha Jones never gets talked about for putting up 19/9 in the 2002 title game. Maya played great in the 2009 title game which is commonly overshadowed by Tina's 25/19.

Strother's 17 in 2003 was probably the biggest difference maker though for any secondary player....she was huge.

Moriah was the best player in the 2015 Final Four despite not getting MOP. IIRC, she defended Loyd and absolutely shut her down.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
DT in 03. It was her game. It was her all the way. She carried that team for two years before she left. She had the moxey, the stones, the guts, whatever you want to call it. Probably more than any player that I have ever seen. Breanna had more all around talent. But DT was a Super Marine Navy Seal all rolled into one.

Reaction Score
Having just rewatched the 2004 NC game, Diana was held to 18 points but Jessica Moore, Barbara Turner, Marie Conlon, Ann Strother and Wilnett Crockett all played as a group at such a high level ,especially on defense in the second half. They were "Taurasiized" and transformed into championship secondary players. It is the rarest of gifts, being able to uplift the play and heart of teammates on the biggest of stages.

Reaction Score
not a championship game or semi, but my favorite NCAA tournament performance was by Stewart, Mosqueda-Lewis and Tuck in the game against Dayton when they made everything in the first half, we were down by 1 at half time. Those three came out blazing!

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I looked at all of the boxscores, which was a chore on UConn's site. The 1995 one was especially hard to find -- actually, I couldn't find it on the UConn site, which is shameful.

Some notable things:

D didn't play well at the Final Four until her junior year.

2002: Ashja Jones was the #2 scorer behind Swin's 20 with 19 (and 9 rebounds). Swin als0 had 13 rebounds and 4 assists -- all team highs.

2004 was a team effort.

1995 semis: Kara Wolters laid waste to Stanford with 31 and 9 rebounds as UConn soundly defeated the Cardinal, 87-60.

Primary: Tina Charles, 2009. Yes, they destroyed Louisville. But, Tina was a large part of the reason why: 25 points, 19 rebounds. She shot 11 of 13.

Secondary: Stef in 2014. 17 points, 16 rebounds, and 7 assists against ND. Yes, no Achonwa. But, it's still a monster game.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Found this while searching for boxscores. There's something familiar about it :D

Geno on why UConn beat Stanford in 1995:

"The reason we're playing [today] is that I've got these three [Lobo, Wolters and Elliott] and [Stanford coach] Tara [VanDerveer] doesn't," said Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma.

Reaction Score
Sometimes IMO WCBB picks award winners before they should. 2015 Moriah should have been MOP of the game! Dolsonin 2014 17pts, 16rbs, 6ast and 4 blocks IMO could have gotten it!

2016 FF Morgan had the better FF than Stewie IMO.
2017 Williams deserved POY before Wilson!

Like POY awards this year Sabrina is an incredible player but the job Harris did with that young team was unbelievable and she deserves credit for it!

Reaction Score
KML in the 2015 game against ND.

She played the full 40 minutes (as did Jefferson and Stewie with 39)
Tied with Mo with most points (15) and 50% from two point range.
Of the 6 ND shots that were blocked, Stewie had four and KML 2.
She tied with Stewie with 3 offensive rebounds.

She was face-guarded by Jewel Lloyd for the entire game. Probably due to the fact that KML had put together two monster scoring runs in the national championships two years before.

In the first period, with the game tied at 11, KML made a three pointer and on the next play, she made a lay-up. ND scored a two. UConn did not score, On the ND possession, she blocked the shot.

ND never regained the lead. During the remainder of the game, UConn managed some big leads on clutch shots by UConn players, but ND made counter-runs.

With about five minutes left in the game, a UConn lead of 12 had been reduced to six, and then KLM laid down the hammer on ND, scoring the next 7 points for UConn (unanswered by ND ) giving UConn a 13 point lead with 2:36 remaining.

There was the great transition 3, followed by a 2 at the foul line- ND calls a time out to a roaring crowd,

After the time out, ND didn't score and then was the most important basket of the game, and one of the sweetest plays in crunch time in UConn history, Every time Muffet thinks off this play, she must scream. I won't even try to describe it- watch it at about 2:36.

So, in critical moments in two NC games, KLM put together two scoring runs to give UConn two National titles.

And she was, at graduation, the highest 3-point shooter in history, and at 44.7 %, still holds the highest percentage of all the leaders above and below her by 2% points.

The recent ESPN top ten UConn players thing, was idiotic, It should have been, at least, 11 with KML included. As with all great players, it is not just how much they score- but when. She was chosen to get the ball a critical moments and not only scored, but scored beautifully.

Reaction Score
11 games to choose from...Won them all. We're so lucky to have numerous choices. My two favorites, because I covered them...Kelly Faris' 16-9-6 v Louisville in 13' and Stef's 17-16-4b v ND in 14'...BUT There were very few Final Four Games in Kaleena Mosqueda Lewis' career she didn't play well. Especially the last three...A very underrated rebounder...Stay Safe everyone :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom