Greatest HS players in Connecticut state history | The Boneyard

Greatest HS players in Connecticut state history

Reaction Score
With the disaster of the season almost over, thought I would revisit this and with UConn needing to pick it up recruiting in state. I'm trying to limit how the player in question dominated the High School scene not how they did afterwards.

My top five in order....

1) Bobby Valentine....only player in CT history to make first team All State in his sophmore, junior, and senior year.

2) Andrew Pinnock

3) Sandy Osiecki

4) Pete Demmerle

5) Zach Allen

HM....Tim Boyle, Rico Brogna, Kurt Horton, Mark Evanchik, Dwight Freeney, Joe Addison, Fran Lynch, Dave Graham, Nick Giaquinto, Floyd Little....and many I'm forgetting. Lol

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
With the disaster of the season almost over, thought I would revisit this and with UConn needing to pick it up recruiting in state. I'm trying to limit how the player in question dominated the High School scene not how they did afterwards.

My top five in order....

1) Bobby Valentine....only player in CT history to make first team All State in his sophmore, junior, and senior year.

2) Andrew Pinnock

3) Sandy Osiecki

4) Pete Demmerle

5) Zach Allen

HM....Tim Boyle, Rico Brogna, Kurt Horton, Mark Evanchik, Dwight Freeney, Joe Addison, Fran Lynch, Dave Graham, Nick Giaquinto, Floyd Little....and many I'm forgetting. Lol

This list almost universally proves why UConn should not waste any more time than they do now recruiting CT kids. FL, NJ, TX fifth-tier kids are better. They just are

Reaction Score
High school performance wise - Arkeel Newsome and Bill Romanowski need to be in the running. Andy Robustelli and Tom Condon as well.
And Casey. Most prolific passer in CT state history

Reaction Score
If there was a plethora of top flight recruits, I would say, YES, recruit more instate, but the fact is, that there's not much top flight talent to turn Uconn into a power football team. This is not basketball, where one or two superstars can make the difference. You need 3-5-7-9 or more 4 and 5 star players to make the difference, and a 3-4 star player from Connecticut, does not measure up to a 3-4 star player from Texas, Florida, New Jersey, PA, Ohio, or other hot beds of high school football. Accept it, it is what it is.

Reaction Score
This list almost universally proves why UConn should not waste any more time than they do now recruiting CT kids. FL, NJ, TX fifth-tier kids are better. They just are

You have made this point for years and I gotta tell you its still stupid and always will be stupid. "The state university should not waste time recruiting in state" -zls44 :confused:

Meanwhile in the real world Travis Jones from New Haven is grading out as one of the top freshman D-lineman in the country, Oneil Robinson's talent was raved about all game yesterday, Tyler Coyle is probably the best pro prospect on the team, and Kevon Jones has done OK for a true freshman who probably shouldn't be playing. Khyon Gillespe also has a bright future and its a damn shame he got hurt.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You have made this point for years and I gotta tell you its still stupid and always will be stupid. "The state university should not waste time recruiting in state" -zls44 :confused:

Meanwhile in the real world Travis Jones from New Haven is grading out as one of the top freshman D-lineman in the country, Oneil Robinson's talent was raved about all game yesterday, Tyler Coyle is probably the best pro prospect on the team, and Kevon Jones has done OK for a true freshman who probably shouldn't be playing. Khyon Gillespe also has a bright future and its a damn shame he got hurt.
You have a bad habit of stating your opinions as facts. We haven't landed the small amount of talent in this state as they leave for P5 offers while our AAC foes have deeper talent pools to choose in their area. Can you dispute that for me? Or are you going to argue CT is on par with FLA,TX,PA,NC,NJ etc...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He wasn't that good in HS

He was a running quarterback in high School. I was shocked he was as good as he was in college

zls44

Reaction Score

Every year, CT produces 3-5 high-end kids who UConn is NEVER in contention for. They go to greener pastures.

Either UConn can get these kids and still not have nearly enough or they can do what they do now, get none of them and still stink, with the CT kids they get being woefully outplayed by mid-tier prospects from states that actually have talent.

It isn't enough and getting all of them isn't enough.

For the program to have a chance it will be through NJ, PA, FL and TX. Not from the CCC.

Also, Oneil Robinson was very bad in the game yesterday. Very bad. And he had an INT!

zls44

Reaction Score
UConn has 3 commits from CT in the 2019 class. Per Rivals/247, they had a combined ZERO non-UConn offers.

Do you think the other 129 programs are making mistakes in not offering these kids? Really?

Reaction Score
Was Bob Skoronski a great HS player? He was great in college and a HOF player for the Packers. Just passed away this October.

Reaction Score
UConn has 3 commits from CT in the 2019 class. Per Rivals/247, they had a combined ZERO non-UConn offers.

Do you think the other 129 programs are making mistakes in not offering these kids? Really?

Please stop embarrassing yourself. You are out of your mind if you think UCONN would be better served by not recruiting the state of CT hard, it is a beyond stupid assertion, it is in fact bizarre. I totally get that we can't recruit just the state of CT, obviously nobody does that, you get players from wherever you can get them, but you can't ignore your own backyard because you have a preconceived notion about its talent pool, better to go through life without preconceived notions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Dillon Harris held tons of big P5 offers in high school...

Reaction Score

My top five in order....

Dude, do your homework!!! Alex Thomas and Arkeel Newsome both made 1st team All-State three seasons. Bobby V isn’t the only one to do it.

And....if you’re talking about dominating the CT high school scene the list start with Arkeel Newsome, PERIOD. His state records will be very, very, very difficult to beat.

Sandy O was great. But he’s not even the best QB to play at Ansonia, James Lane. In fact, Sandy wouldn’t even be in the Top 5 of Ansonia greats.

Kenny Tinney (in my opinion) is the best player I’ve ever seen at Ansonia (if not the state). He was dominant in all three phases of the game, unlike any other player in state history. He was a nightmare for defenses as a dual-threat QB running the triple-option. He was a lockdown all-state CB with 4.3 speed. On special teams, opponents chose to punt the ball out-of-bounds halfway through his senior season because he returned 7 for TDs. He still holds the state record for punt returns for TDs in a season and was one shy of the national record of eight (8) in a season. If it was possible, he would have been all state at all three positions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was Bob Skoronski a great HS player? He was great in college and a HOF player for the Packers. Just passed away this October.
Yes he was.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom