Great walk-on story from UNC Soccer. | The Boneyard

Great walk-on story from UNC Soccer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Caitlin Ball grew up in Chapel Hill, NC. As a kid, she worked many games as a ball girl for Anson Dorrance's UNC soccer team. And she played soccer for her local high school.

Caitlin's dream was to go to college at UNC, and to play college soccer for the storied Tar Heels. She hoped to get a soccer scholarship. None was offered. She was admitted to UNC; but Anson Dorrance urged her to apply to other schools. His judgment was that she couldn't make the team at UNC.

Caitlin enrolled anyway; and Dorrance let her try-out for a place on the team as a freshman walk-on. She didn't make it past the first cut.

Caitlin's high school coach (a long time friend of coach Dorrance) arranged a meeting between the two. He told Anson that Caitlin was "a late maturer". That she had "the heart of a lion". He told Dorrance that he "had made a big mistake cutting her from his team". He said that "Caitlin would become a big time player for him if he had a little patience with her development."

Anson Dorrance invited Caitlin to join his squad.

Caitlin Ball is now a sophomore. She wears Carolina Jersey #2. And she is the Tar Heels star defensive back. UNC plays a 3-4-3 alignment -- something rarely seen at the top levels of today's soccer. Though she is only 65 inches tall, Caitlin plays the middle defensive back on the three player back line. She has to be good -- really good. And she is. She is fast, quick, smart, skilled, and a relentless worker. She stands out as one of the best players on the field.

I love watching Caitlin play. With her bright golden hair blowing in the wind, she is easy to follow.

Tomorrow, December 2, Caitlin will be the starting center back for UNC in the National Championship final against Penn State. Look for her golden hair and the #2 on her Jersey. She'll give you a whole lot of smiles.

P.S. The game is at 4:00 PM on ESPNU

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
A great and heart warming story.

Go PENN STATE !!!!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I am, in most sports, a Penn State fan. But in the world of NCAA Women's soccer, I have been rooting for UNC for almost 30 years. What a great program Dorrance has run! It has been Genoesque +.

So -- I gotta say: "Go North Carolina !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and win championship #21.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I am, in most sports, a Penn State fan. But in the world of NCAA Women's soccer, I have been rooting for UNC for almost 30 years. What a great program Dorrance has run! It has been Genoesque +.

So -- I gotta say: "Go North Carolina !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and win championship #21.
It's not good for women's soccer. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
With Penn State's speed, Ansone had to quickly switch to a 4 back defense.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
With Penn State's speed, Ansone had to quickly switch to a 4 back defense.
And NC played the 4-4-2 beautifully and with many subs getting lots of time.

Dorrance gave many of his starters about 12 minutes of rest at the end of the 1st half. Then just ran the legs off of PSU in the 2nd half. UNC dominated the play more and more as time went on --- winning the second half by 3 goals to zip, after a 1-1 draw in the first half.

I hope Geno can do this with his talented subs this year. Use them often to rest the top 5, and then dominate games in the 2nd half. And yes, win the last game of the season just like North Carolina did today.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And NC played the 4-4-2 beautifully and with many subs getting lots of time.

Dorrance gave many of his starters about 12 minutes of rest at the end of the 1st half. Then just ran the legs off of PSU in the 2nd half. UNC dominated the play more and more as time went on --- winning the second half by 3 goals to zip, after a 1-1 draw in the first half.

I hope Geno can do this with his talented subs this year. Use them often to rest the top 5, and then dominate games in the 2nd half. And yes, win the last game of the season just like North Carolina did today.
Actually according to Dorrance, they went to a 4-2-3-1. But whatever formation, they pretty much dominated Penn St. in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom