Great (unrealistic?) Expectations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Great (unrealistic?) Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BroadwayVA,

Sadly I am in fact an old dude that has been following UConn WBB since the 1995 championship season, but I have to confess that I was more of a casual fan for many years. I didn't sweat the rebuilding years.

The die-hard Uconn WBB fan in my family was my mom. She was one of the legion of Italian-American women in Connecticut, who loved Geno Auriemma, ate at his restaurant, bought his pasta sauce and believed he could walk on water. Mom watched every single game. If you were planning on getting married or dying, don't even think of holding the wedding or funeral during a Uconn WBB game. Mom also hated close games, which for her meant any game that Uconn won by less than 20 points.

It is because of mom that I became a passionate fan of Uconn WBB.
My mother never went to any of my games either when I was playing or coaching but she turned in for UConn women's basketball from 1991

Reaction Score
Oldude got it right.

As he has been, I have been a fan since the 94 - 95 season. My wife and I had season tickets for several years at the XL Center.

There have been up and down seasons along with many magically seasons that were historic. I've enjoyed them all though I confess some seasons required more Jack Daniels than usual. And there have been some really ugly games. The one that sticks out was the National Championship game against Stanford were at the half we were down 20 - 16. Fortunatley Maya rose to the occasion to secure the win.

I'm enjoying these first three games. Different leader every night so far. Only one blowout. The Baylor game was pure joy. I intend to enjoy the rest of the season. Watching these young ladies evolve and develop is amazing.

And I expect we will loose 3 or 4 games this year before the tournament begins. So what. By March, this team will be ready.
Well said. I'm thinking more like 2 or 3 losses before March but either way, so what. As long as things come together by then, and don't bet against it.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Oldude got it right.

As he has been, I have been a fan since the 94 - 95 season. My wife and I had season tickets for several years at the XL Center.

There have been up and down seasons along with many magically seasons that were historic. I've enjoyed them all though I confess some seasons required more Jack Daniels than usual. And there have been some really ugly games. The one that sticks out was the National Championship game against Stanford were at the half we were down 20 - 16. Fortunatley Maya rose to the occasion to secure the win.

I'm enjoying these first three games. Different leader every night so far. Only one blowout. The Baylor game was pure joy. I intend to enjoy the rest of the season. Watching these young ladies evolve and develop is amazing.

And I expect we will loose 3 or 4 games this year before the tournament begins. So what. By March, this team will be ready.
To pick a friendly nit, it was 20-12.

Reaction Score
There are many ways to understand the phrase, BroadwayVa, because ironically of course, Plato was the most influential idealist in all human history, so one would expect him to defend perfection alone. But living in a very messy democracy (sound familiar?), I believe he was arguing hee that the search for perfection in the actual world (rather than in the world of ideals, which most influenced later Christian thinkers, especially Augustine) was harmful in the attempt to achieve a "good" outcome. In other words, we should strive for good in this world, perfection in the world of the spirit, which is a value that Augustine in City of God would agree with (not that I'm personally an Augustinian; just sayin').
Thanks---I appreciate the reply.
I would tend to agree with Pluto---perfection is not attainable--. However there are those that see those words meaning:
Good is the Enemy of Perfection because to accept good does not allow one achieving their maximum potential. (Geno not withstanding).
(it does not sound familiar)--we don't live in a Democracy--our country was founded as a Republic with democratic ideal. A representative republic--where 1 representative speaks for thousands, unlike a democracy where one man one vote means just that.

Reaction Score
BroadwayVA,

Sadly I am in fact an old dude that has been following UConn WBB since the 1995 championship season, but I have to confess that I was more of a casual fan for many years. I didn't sweat the rebuilding years.

The die-hard Uconn WBB fan in my family was my mom. She was one of the legion of Italian-American women in Connecticut, who loved Geno Auriemma, ate at his restaurant, bought his pasta sauce and believed he could walk on water. Mom watched every single game. If you were planning on getting married or dying, don't even think of holding the wedding or funeral during a Uconn WBB game. Mom also hated close games, which for her meant any game that Uconn won by less than 20 points.

It is because of mom that I became a passionate fan of Uconn WBB.

Thanks Old Dude--I'd have liked to have met your Mom! Connecticut of my youth was a true melting pot--many cities and some towns had "sections" for Irish, Polish, Italian, Black Americans, German, etc. I ate true Italian meals --that ruined me for restaurants--the sauce (sometimes called gravy) was incomparable--. Ken Burns book 'the War" spoke of a Waterbury, Ct Italian boy and his family
if you had read it , I'm sure you'd relate to the mother.
I tend to also enjoy the "rebuilding' years.

Reaction Score
Thanks---I appreciate the reply.
I would tend to agree with Pluto---perfection is not attainable--. However there are those that see those words meaning:
Good is the Enemy of Perfection because to accept good does not allow one achieving their maximum potential. (Geno not withstanding).
(it does not sound familiar)--we don't live in a Democracy--our country was founded as a Republic with democratic ideal. A representative republic--where 1 representative speaks for thousands, unlike a democracy where one man one vote means just that.
I don't agree but I admit that there is no winning this argument for either of us, because it is somewhat about semantics. But, for what it's worth, I believe we live in a hybrid republic/democracy. Our federal gov't is a republic, but that doesn't mean it's not a democracy as well. Representatives are elected by the voters, so that they carry our views (of course, the counter argument is that they don't represent our views but have been empowered by us to represent their own wisdom). And a great many local gov'ts are pure democracies still--what were from the beginning of our nation conceived of as town meeting democracies. We still today gather for (e.g.) at school board meetings where, although we have elected a school board designed to make most of the decisions on our behalf, all those town citizens who choose to attend can vote on key issues such as the budget.

Fact is, we have far more democratic agency than most of us are willing or have the energy to demand for ourselves.

Reaction Score
I don't agree but I admit that there is no winning this argument for either of us, because it is somewhat about semantics. But, for what it's worth, I believe we live in a hybrid republic/democracy. Our federal gov't is a republic, but that doesn't mean it's not a democracy as well. Representatives are elected by the voters, so that they carry our views (of course, the counter argument is that they don't represent our views but have been empowered by us to represent their own wisdom). And a great many local gov'ts are pure democracies still--what were from the beginning of our nation conceived of as town meeting democracies. We still today gather for (e.g.) at school board meetings where, although we have elected a school board designed to make most of the decisions on our behalf, all those town citizens who choose to attend can vote on key issues such as the budget.

Fact is, we have far more democratic agency than most of us are willing or have the energy to demand for ourselves.
\

This is why i seek your posting--even with "serious" disagreement you are thoughtful.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Nice post, bags. I'm beginning to suspect you know what you're talking about.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
When I saw this this summer I thought Secretarait

skip ahead to about 11 minutes

I had the same exact thought while watching that race this summer. An unbelievable performance.

Reaction Score
Oldude got it right.

Reaction Score
OLD Dude----If you are an old dude you-ve seen all this before--we UCWBB call them "off years" --some say the FUN years--we also know regardless of the final status of this team--NEXT year will go back to the 'good' years. So enjoy this team.
The MARK of an Auriemma team is good passing, top level execution, DEFENSE. Purity in motion--Sue and company got me hooked on WBB with that--purity in motion.
Fan have seen over the past 4 years 3 players who played together in the USA games 16,17,18 etc then 4 more years at Uconn. The current team does not have that longevity--nor that continuity--all of that created CHEMISTRY --what is chemistry? It's all players know the other guys on your team, where they tend to go, what moves they make just before break for the basket, the glance that lets you know to pass, those individual quirks each knows of the other . This is picked up in practices and pick up games
I'm not ready to declare this as an "off year" yet.

Reaction Score
I'm not ready to declare this as an "off year" yet.
SOME Call them off years. I've called this one a FUN year regardless of the final outcome. We have more than a half dozen kids learning how to play at an exceptional level--with all the ups and downs. Regardless of the outcome (yes again)--this is great preparation for next year to be "senior" leadership. Chemistry--I believe is the key ingredient not fully developed along with a TRUE leader.

Reaction Score
I find myself amazed by the number of predictions here that this team will have multiple losses this year! While I admittedly am less knowledgeable about basketball than many of you, I just can't see the rationale for all this doom and gloom. I will be truly amazed if we lose more than two games and would not be surprised at all if we were to be undefeated once again when the NCAA tournament rolls around again! I must admit to being somewhat nervous about the Notre Dame game. I mean, we have the greatest coach in the game, backed by an associate head coach that I would not trade for any head coach in women's basketball, magnificent assistant coaches who are knowledgeable and experienced, and a roster full of very good players! Realistically, who is more talented across the board than us? We have Lou, a 6'3" former No 1 recruit who imho has just began to scratch the surface of her potential! She wayynts to be a great player and has, I'm sure, asked Geno and the staff to help her accomplish that! Many observers of this team have said that Napheesa Collier is, or may be, a better player than Katie Lou! She too wants to be great and has shown repeatedly that she is willing and able to "leave it all on the court"! She is already one of my all time favorites! Next up we have Kia Nurse, an Olympian and our most experienced player, who sets the tone for effort and toughness! Then we have Gabby Williams, said by many to be the most athletically gifted player to ever play at UConn! Crystal Dangerfield is a former No 2 recruit who is already being compared favorably to the two greatest point guards in Uconn history! Three games into her career here, she has already shown herself to be a big time, big game player who can elevate her game when her team needs her! She is the littlest player on the team but has one of the biggest hearts and looks like she could bench press me and my wife together! Saniya Chong was a big time scorer in high school! I believe she averaged 33 points a game! I believe she will finally shine her brightest this year. She also brings senior leadership this year! Natalie Butler is a former star at Georgetown who has had to sit out for a season and then suffer through a frustrating injury. She is healthy now and raring to go! Finally we have Molly Bent and Kyla Irwin, two youngsters recruited by arguably the best judge of talent in all of women's basketball! Lastly we have a beloved walk on who helps bring this team together and sets an example for perseverance and selflessness! Tierney Lawlor. Oh, I forgot to mention our two transfers who are both proven great players and who although not allowed to play in games this year, nevertheless contribute in practice every day to help their teammates get ready to play! Nope, I just don't see how anyone could possibly think we are going to lose 4 plus games this year! Is it possible? I suppose so. Is it likely? I don't think so!

Reaction Score
I find myself amazed by the number of predictions here that this team will have multiple losses this year! While I admittedly am less knowledgeable about basketball than many of you, I just can't see the rationale for all this doom and gloom. I will be truly amazed if we lose more than two games and would not be surprised at all if we were to be undefeated once again when the NCAA tournament rolls around again! I must admit to being somewhat nervous about the Notre Dame game. I mean, we have the greatest coach in the game, backed by an associate head coach that I would not trade for any head coach in women's basketball, magnificent assistant coaches who are knowledgeable and experienced, and a roster full of very good players! Realistically, who is more talented across the board than us? We have Lou, a 6'3" former No 1 recruit who imho has just began to scratch the surface of her potential! She wayynts to be a great player and has, I'm sure, asked Geno and the staff to help her accomplish that! Many observers of this team have said that Napheesa Collier is, or may be, a better player than Katie Lou! She too wants to be great and has shown repeatedly that she is willing and able to "leave it all on the court"! She is already one of my all time favorites! Next up we have Kia Nurse, an Olympian and our most experienced player, who sets the tone for effort and toughness! Then we have Gabby Williams, said by many to be the most athletically gifted player to ever play at UConn! Crystal Dangerfield is a former No 2 recruit who is already being compared favorably to the two greatest point guards in Uconn history! Three games into her career here, she has already shown herself to be a big time, big game player who can elevate her game when her team needs her! She is the littlest player on the team but has one of the biggest hearts and looks like she could bench press me and my wife together! Saniya Chong was a big time scorer in high school! I believe she averaged 33 points a game! I believe she will finally shine her brightest this year. She also brings senior leadership this year! Natalie Butler is a former star at Georgetown who has had to sit out for a season and then suffer through a frustrating injury. She is healthy now and raring to go! Finally we have Molly Bent and Kyla Irwin, two youngsters recruited by arguably the best judge of talent in all of women's basketball! Lastly we have a beloved walk on who helps bring this team together and sets an example for perseverance and selflessness! Tierney Lawlor. Oh, I forgot to mention our two transfers who are both proven great players and who although not allowed to play in games this year, nevertheless contribute in practice every day to help their teammates get ready to play! Nope, I just don't see how anyone could possibly think we are going to lose 4 plus games this year! Is it possible? I suppose so. Is it likely? I don't think so!

Really nice post. Cheer this team on. positive---Thanks.

I like what I've seen from both Chong and Butler this year. If we try to put them in the shoes of Moriah or Stew--that's a mistake and and insult to their talent. Butler's sizes, body style, forces her to not be as mobile as Stew or KIAh. I've listed her attributes often so I won't bore you with those. Chong--has had a couple of nice/good games. FSU she was the Chong of HS (almost). Believe it or not--the pressures on Chong this year are large.--a senior, expected to lead after almost 3 years on the bench, expected to take up the slack when offense is lacking. Saniya--will have big games and nothing games--why, even Geno has no idea--but her plus side is good.
More games maybe she'll develop the Saniya we all want.
Does it matter if Uconn loses 2,3,4 games/?? Will they win the AAC title/ yes! Will they make the NCAA--yes! Other than that it's an ego trip for fans. It's a learning tool for Geno!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Cuango - or should I call you Tony Jr. I like your thinking. I think most posters are reluctant to quite trust this team yet. Geno set up a gauntlet of massive proportions for them to run to get through December, and then added in a New Years surprise for good measure. They are definitely not the 2016 edition which would have laughed in the face of this murders row of games, and they are not yet a finished product so ... they passed their first stern test last Thursday, but that was an hors d'oeuvre - they have DePaul, Texas, ND, OSU, MD yet to navigate with SC coming in Feb.

One fear I have is that they are running on a high wire and oblivious to the depths below them - should one of these teams remove their blinders by beating them, they might start to notice that chasm and a touch of fear might creep in. I don't think it will happen, but ...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I find myself amazed by the number of predictions here that this team will have multiple losses this year! While I admittedly am less knowledgeable about basketball than many of you, I just can't see the rationale for all this doom and gloom.
I don't know that I would call that doom and gloom. Having a 30+and 3-4 season would be a great season. Any year. Some just have a more a realistic outlook.

I will be truly amazed if we lose more than two games and would not be surprised at all if we were to be undefeated once again when the NCAA tournament rolls around again!
I'd be pretty shocked if that were to happen. Happy, but shocked.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
When I saw this this summer I thought Secretarait

skip ahead to about 11 minutes

So did I. In fact I turned to my husband and said that I hadn't seen anything like this since Secretariat at the Belmont.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Last night, watching the 2nd half of a sloppy win in which a decent LSU team never really challenged the Huskies after the 1st qtr, I realized, like many Husky WBB fans, I have been spoiled by the last 4 years, especially by last year's team which often played like a beautiful symphony, orchestrated by the maestro himself, Geno Auriemma.

Geno has told everyone within earshot that this year was going to be different, so we should not be all that surprised when the team struggles to find their offensive rhythm, commits too many turnovers, gets out-rebounded at times and when the freshmen play like freshmen....But even Geno admitted after the Baylor game that he too struggles with expectations for this team, bouncing back and forth between thinking there is no way this team can achieve what prior championship teams have done and yet, this is UConn WBB, why shouldn't they expect to reach the same level of success.

The last 4 years have been a great ride, like being on the back of Secretariat at the Kentucky Derby. This year's ride is going to be more like a roller-coaster.

So how do we the fans deal with this season. A couple thoughts for consideration:

There are more really good women's BB players and coaches around the country than ever before. If we learned anything from last season's Final 4, where OSU, Washington & Cuse pulled off a string of upsets for each team to make it to their 1st Final 4, it's that while WBB still has a number of elite teams, parity is coming. Just last night, both Texas (minor upset) & Tenn (major upset) were taken down. Barely 2 weeks into the season, almost all of the ranked teams have struggled at times and many have already experienced losses. Uconn is 3-0 with 2 wins over ranked teams.

This team will get better. We know that. Geno, CD, Shea, Marisa, et al will see to it.

Finally, last night I found myself thinking about an episode of Seinfeld, "Serenity Now." In that episode Frank Costanza attempts to lower his blood pressure by repeating the phrase "serenity now" over and over again every time he experiences any stress. For those that remember the episode, serenity now didn't work for Frank Costanza, but what the heck, maybe it's worth a try for all of of us Husky fans when the roller-coaster is heading down.
Last night, watching the 2nd half of a sloppy win in which a decent LSU team never really challenged the Huskies after the 1st qtr, I realized, like many Husky WBB fans, I have been spoiled by the last 4 years, especially by last year's team which often played like a beautiful symphony, orchestrated by the maestro himself, Geno Auriemma.

Geno has told everyone within earshot that this year was going to be different, so we should not be all that surprised when the team struggles to find their offensive rhythm, commits too many turnovers, gets out-rebounded at times and when the freshmen play like freshmen....But even Geno admitted after the Baylor game that he too struggles with expectations for this team, bouncing back and forth between thinking there is no way this team can achieve what prior championship teams have done and yet, this is UConn WBB, why shouldn't they expect to reach the same level of success.

The last 4 years have been a great ride, like being on the back of Secretariat at the Kentucky Derby. This year's ride is going to be more like a roller-coaster.

So how do we the fans deal with this season. A couple thoughts for consideration:

There are more really good women's BB players and coaches around the country than ever before. If we learned anything from last season's Final 4, where OSU, Washington & Cuse pulled off a string of upsets for each team to make it to their 1st Final 4, it's that while WBB still has a number of elite teams, parity is coming. Just last night, both Texas (minor upset) & Tenn (major upset) were taken down. Barely 2 weeks into the season, almost all of the ranked teams have struggled at times and many have already experienced losses. Uconn is 3-0 with 2 wins over ranked teams.

This team will get better. We know that. Geno, CD, Shea, Marisa, et al will see to it.

Finally, last night I found myself thinking about an episode of Seinfeld, "Serenity Now." In that episode Frank Costanza attempts to lower his blood pressure by repeating the phrase "serenity now" over and over again every time he experiences any stress. For those that remember the episode, serenity now didn't work for Frank Costanza, but what the heck, maybe it's worth a try for all of of us Husky fans when the roller-coaster is heading down.

Excellent Thread Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS