Great (unrealistic?) Expectations | The Boneyard

Great (unrealistic?) Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Last night, watching the 2nd half of a sloppy win in which a decent LSU team never really challenged the Huskies after the 1st qtr, I realized, like many Husky WBB fans, I have been spoiled by the last 4 years, especially by last year's team which often played like a beautiful symphony, orchestrated by the maestro himself, Geno Auriemma.

Geno has told everyone within earshot that this year was going to be different, so we should not be all that surprised when the team struggles to find their offensive rhythm, commits too many turnovers, gets out-rebounded at times and when the freshmen play like freshmen....But even Geno admitted after the Baylor game that he too struggles with expectations for this team, bouncing back and forth between thinking there is no way this team can achieve what prior championship teams have done and yet, this is UConn WBB, why shouldn't they expect to reach the same level of success.

The last 4 years have been a great ride, like being on the back of Secretariat at the Kentucky Derby. This year's ride is going to be more like a roller-coaster.

So how do we the fans deal with this season. A couple thoughts for consideration:

There are more really good women's BB players and coaches around the country than ever before. If we learned anything from last season's Final 4, where OSU, Washington & Cuse pulled off a string of upsets for each team to make it to their 1st Final 4, it's that while WBB still has a number of elite teams, parity is coming. Just last night, both Texas (minor upset) & Tenn (major upset) were taken down. Barely 2 weeks into the season, almost all of the ranked teams have struggled at times and many have already experienced losses. Uconn is 3-0 with 2 wins over ranked teams.

This team will get better. We know that. Geno, CD, Shea, Marisa, et al will see to it.

Finally, last night I found myself thinking about an episode of Seinfeld, "Serenity Now." In that episode Frank Costanza attempts to lower his blood pressure by repeating the phrase "serenity now" over and over again every time he experiences any stress. For those that remember the episode, serenity now didn't work for Frank Costanza, but what the heck, maybe it's worth a try for all of of us Husky fans when the roller-coaster is heading down.

Reaction Score
like being on the back of Secretariat at the Kentucky Derby
Actually, it was the Belmont Stakes that was Secretariat's immortal ride.

But pedantry aside, it's always been a roller coaster, even last year, when folks agonized that UConn allowed weak teams to play a decent second half of a game. Everyone expects perfection or at least continuous improvement from their favorite team, but the glory of sports is that: 1. it's not a straight line of improvement, because even with the best of intentions we are imperfect and because 2. there is an opponent who actually (shocking as it is!) doesn't want us to succeed. It's called "competition" for a reason, and that's why sports can be a wonderful lesson about life in general.

Remember what Plato (allegedly) said: perfection is the enemy of the good.

P.S. Welcome to the board!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

But pedantry aside, it's always been a roller coaster, even last year, when folks agonized that UConn allowed weak teams to play a decent second half of a game. Everyone expects perfection or at least continuous improvement from their favorite team, but the glory of sports is that: 1. it's not a straight line of improvement, because even with the best of intentions we are imperfect and because 2. there is an opponent who actually (shocking as it is!) doesn't want us to succeed. It's called "competition" for a reason, and that's why sports can be a wonderful lesson about life in general.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Good catch Bags. I don't know how you figured it out, but I was in fact thinking about Secretariat's Belmont run

Reaction Score
The good part is that four players have stepped up their game at various times during the first three games of the season: CD's 19 points; KLS's 28 points last night; Napheesa's great game against Florida State; Saniya's one great game. So that bodes well overall for the season: the team is not dependent on just one player, or two players.

Having said that, need a lot better point guard play. Butler really needs to get aggressive.

This really is a different world. But the best part of this is that we have Geno and they don't. He makes all the difference.

Reaction Score
Finally, last night I found myself thinking about an episode of Seinfeld, "Serenity Now." In that episode Frank Costanza attempts to lower his blood pressure by repeating the phrase "serenity now" over and over again every time he experiences any stress. For those that remember the episode, serenity now didn't work for Frank Costanza, but what the heck, maybe it's worth a try for all of of us Husky fans when the roller-coaster is heading down.
I'm thinking maybe just drinking more....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Oldude - well said.
And just lest we forget in the warm fuzzy glow of our memories - as a junior the immortal Moriah was shooting about 30% from the field and about 25% from the arc through the first 10 games of the season, and as a senior through the first 6 games she had accumulated 20 turnovers. As a whole those two years were glorious, but in the specifics of games there were some really poor performances - our cry in CT should echo that of San Antonio - Never forget the Maples Pavilion!

Reaction Score
It's true that every year we see games we'd rather forget. These get deleted from my DVR because I don't need the aggro.
Gabby had 6 TOs (but 10 rebounds), Crystal had 5, Kyla had 3, the team=20. Natalie scored 0 points (as did Secretariat), Napheesa got 8. The middle of the UConn offensive zone was closed; no plays seemed to work, so Lou had to keep firing it up from outside. Kia got her long-distance stroke back for 15 much needed points. The theory is that if everyone keeps moving, a good shot will present itself; didn't happen inside. Can understand why Geno was bent out of shape: this is NOT Husky ball. But, hoping it's an aberration, time to look ahead. Perhaps the energy that went into felling Baylor emptied the tanks with only a couple of days to recover. Now same situation (2-day break) against another not highly regarded team in Dayton. A chance to do better . . .

Reaction Score
Last night, watching the 2nd half of a sloppy win in which a decent LSU team never really challenged the Huskies after the 1st qtr, I realized, like many Husky WBB fans, I have been spoiled by the last 4 years, especially by last year's team which often played like a beautiful symphony, orchestrated by the maestro himself, Geno Auriemma.

Geno has told everyone within earshot that this year was going to be different, so we should not be all that surprised when the team struggles to find their offensive rhythm, commits too many turnovers, gets out-rebounded at times and when the freshmen play like freshmen....But even Geno admitted after the Baylor game that he too struggles with expectations for this team, bouncing back and forth between thinking there is no way this team can achieve what prior championship teams have done and yet, this is UConn WBB, why shouldn't they expect to reach the same level of success.

The last 4 years have been a great ride, like being on the back of Secretariat at the Kentucky Derby. This year's ride is going to be more like a roller-coaster.

So how do we the fans deal with this season. A couple thoughts for consideration:

There are more really good women's BB players and coaches around the country than ever before. If we learned anything from last season's Final 4, where OSU, Washington & Cuse pulled off a string of upsets for each team to make it to their 1st Final 4, it's that while WBB still has a number of elite teams, parity is coming. Just last night, both Texas (minor upset) & Tenn (major upset) were taken down. Barely 2 weeks into the season, almost all of the ranked teams have struggled at times and many have already experienced losses. Uconn is 3-0 with 2 wins over ranked teams.

This team will get better. We know that. Geno, CD, Shea, Marisa, et al will see to it.

OLD Dude----If you are an old dude you-ve seen all this before--we UCWBB call them "off years" --some say the FUN years--we also know regardless of the final status of this team--NEXT year will go back to the 'good' years. So enjoy this team.
The MARK of an Auriemma team is good passing, top level execution, DEFENSE. Purity in motion--Sue and company got me hooked on WBB with that--purity in motion.
Fan have seen over the past 4 years 3 players who played together in the USA games 16,17,18 etc then 4 more years at Uconn. The current team does not have that longevity--nor that continuity--all of that created CHEMISTRY --what is chemistry? It's all players know the other guys on your team, where they tend to go, what moves they make just before break for the basket, the glance that lets you know to pass, those individual quirks each knows of the other . This is picked up in practices and pick up games

Reaction Score

\

Is perfection good or bad? Is good less good? Are we in search of Good over perfection? Or is it Perfection sought over good//
I'm trying to understand the phrase your quoted---

Reaction Score
\

Is perfection good or bad? Is good less good? Are we in search of Good over perfection? Or is it Perfection sought over good//
I'm trying to understand the phrase your quoted---
There are many ways to understand the phrase, BroadwayVa, because ironically of course, Plato was the most influential idealist in all human history, so one would expect him to defend perfection alone. But living in a very messy democracy (sound familiar?), I believe he was arguing hee that the search for perfection in the actual world (rather than in the world of ideals, which most influenced later Christian thinkers, especially Augustine) was harmful in the attempt to achieve a "good" outcome. In other words, we should strive for good in this world, perfection in the world of the spirit, which is a value that Augustine in City of God would agree with (not that I'm personally an Augustinian; just sayin').

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I have read most of the comments posted here since the season began. IMHO, your observations and comments are accutely accurate. Most boneyard commenters would be enlightened by it's real world context. As much as most of us hate to admit it, we must realize that we've been hopelessly spoiled by the superior play and accomplishments by Husky teams over the last 4 years.

Most teams can only dream of a season that UConn turned in each of the last four years. This team in time, will forge its own identity. In spite of the lofty perch recent teams placed themselves, unrealistic comparisons will continue to be made. I'm going to sit back and enjoy the ride this year come what may. While the first 3 games have been difficult to watch at times, they have been exciting I got a plug it in

Great post oldude.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
BroadwayVA,

Sadly I am in fact an old dude that has been following UConn WBB since the 1995 championship season, but I have to confess that I was more of a casual fan for many years. I didn't sweat the rebuilding years.

The die-hard Uconn WBB fan in my family was my mom. She was one of the legion of Italian-American women in Connecticut, who loved Geno Auriemma, ate at his restaurant, bought his pasta sauce and believed he could walk on water. Mom watched every single game. If you were planning on getting married or dying, don't even think of holding the wedding or funeral during a Uconn WBB game. Mom also hated close games, which for her meant any game that Uconn won by less than 20 points.

It is because of mom that I became a passionate fan of Uconn WBB.

Reaction Score

Honestly this roller coaster ride doesn't bother me one bit. I expected it, and I can't believe that no one else would've either ( I'm sure you all did.)

Although this team doesn't have a stand-out "star" it reminds me of the 2004 squad in some respects. Ugly wins (so far) and gutting it out. Not every year is going to be pretty, and we've had a Lot of pretty. But hey - I don't like to put pressure on a group of young women that are probably doing it to themselves anyway.

I'll be bummed if (when) they lose (they're not going to win every game), but it won't be the end of the world for me like it might've been in past seasons.

I like roller coasters..

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
As I see it, this team is riding a wave of 11 NCs, a historic winning streak of 78 games in a row, and so on. The opener against FSU was sobering, but the last two games have been intoxicating by contrast. A win over ND and/or Texas would have me on cloud nine. That being said, ND in South Bend will easily be the toughest game for our girls this regular season. If the Irish can squeak by Green Bay at home, they might just be challenged to squeak by UConn at home. Not guaranteeing a win by any means, but I have hope against hope.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Oldude got it right.

As he has been, I have been a fan since the 94 - 95 season. My wife and I had season tickets for several years at the XL Center.

There have been up and down seasons along with many magically seasons that were historic. I've enjoyed them all though I confess some seasons required more Jack Daniels than usual. And there have been some really ugly games. The one that sticks out was the National Championship game against Stanford were at the half we were down 20 - 16. Fortunatley Maya rose to the occasion to secure the win.

I'm enjoying these first three games. Different leader every night so far. Only one blowout. The Baylor game was pure joy. I intend to enjoy the rest of the season. Watching these young ladies evolve and develop is amazing.

And I expect we will loose 3 or 4 games this year before the tournament begins. So what. By March, this team will be ready.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Oh ye of memories short!! Has everyone forgotten the struggles that both Moriah and Stewie had as frosh? Stewie didn't really become Stewie until the dance, or shortly before the dance. In fact, she was benched a good deal, primarily for appearing to be bewildered. And Moriah was in and out pretty much all season. Be of good cheer; the Maestro knows exactly what he is doing, and all will be well. Even a Ferrari engine has to be broken in before asking it to run at high revs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom