Great Tom Moore Interview BUT potential new injurie(s)? | The Boneyard

Great Tom Moore Interview BUT potential new injurie(s)?

Reaction Score
Awesome interview below with some of Tom’s former players at Quinnipiac. Talks about things like the upcoming season, Bouknights NBA future, etc.

With that being said, he also mentions that they have four players either coming back from injury or about to have surgery (around 21:00 mark). We know two of them (Akok and Polley) which are obviously in the returning from injury bucket. We also know Andre has the knee issue but the hope was that it just needed rest and he would be back and would be in the “coming back from injury” bucket too. By my calculations this leaves one unknown who I’m assuming would be BA or Tyrese based on them not being in the practice vid from Tripp Doherty today (along with Andre).

Hopefully it’s just a misunderstanding in the video but I’m worried that one of those three guys is gonna be going in for surgery (maybe just a scope or something?). Feel free to tell me that I’m crazy but this is just based on context clues that we have.

Reaction Score
491B8715-782C-466E-951A-CA5A94824F9C.jpeg

This was on Tyrese’s ig story about an hour ago. I don’t know if it’s an old pic or not. So I think the new injury might be BA.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Really great points here by Coach Moore

9:52: Coach Hurley didn't run anyone off when he got here. He embraced and worked with the talent he had in front of him. Naively, I assume this does not happen often, but given Moores emphasis on Hurley's "sensitivity" on this matter, maybe it does.

10:13: Ties our recruiting success to rejoining the Big East. Recognizes how well Hurley name sells in Jersey and in the NE. Out of curiosity, why is Hurley Sr. only considered regional. He's a hall of Famer, one of the greatest high school coaches ever, anyone who follows hs ball knows Hurley Sr.

15:25: Discusses the Fox TV package and how the network really pushes the conference. Not exclusively the Big East though, right? Don't they also I cover the Big Ten?

Also loved his discussion on Bouk comparing him to a combo of Rip and Lamb. He pointed out, not Ray or Caron but rather a combo of the above.

Reaction Score

9:52: Coach Hurley didn't run anyone off when he got here. He embraced and worked with the talent he had in front of him. Naively, I assume this does not happen often, but given Moores emphasis on Hurley's "sensitivity" on this matter, maybe it does.

10:13: Ties our recruiting success to rejoining the Big East. Recognizes how well Hurley name sells in Jersey and in the NE. Out of curiosity, why is Hurley Sr. only considered regional. He's a hall of Famer, one of the greatest high school coaches ever, anyone who follows hs ball knows Hurley Sr.

15:25: Discusses the Fox TV package and how the network really pushes the conference. Not exclusively the Big East though, right? Don't they also I cover the Big Ten?

Also loved his discussion on Bouk comparing him to a combo of Rip and Lamb. He pointed out, not Ray or Caron but rather a combo of the above.

Re: your point on 9:52

Hurley is in the minority in NOT chasing kids off the team when he took over. Most any other coach would have pulled Whaley, Sid and Jumpman's schollies. Sid and Jumpman couldn't hack it and left on their own obviously. And we were very, very lucky to have kept Whaley around. That's our starting center. I think Hurley did it the right way--the buy-in to the program we have is second to none.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I spoke with people I think BA has some sort of lingering, semi-serious injury.

Reaction Score

Hurley is in the minority in NOT chasing kids off the team when he took over. Most any other coach would have pulled Whaley, Sid and Jumpman's schollies. Sid and Jumpman couldn't hack it and left on their own obviously. And we were very, very lucky to have kept Whaley around. That's our starting center. I think Hurley did it the right way--the buy-in to the program we have is second to none.
Also think the way DH/staff handled Diarra's situation..Finding a way to integrate him back into the Program following his career-ending injuries so that he could complete his education and contribute to the team.. I thought he showed a great deal of loyalty/class/sensitivity towards MD and it ripples through the Program with the other players in a very positive way.. Well done DH/staff..

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This combined with the postgame quote after the 'Nova game last year is why Hurley is the best person to lead this program. I cannot stress enough how important this hire was to bring us back to the promised land, obviously rejoining the Big East is momentous - but IMO we aren't in the position we are without Hurley's guidance.

Reaction Score
Good interview, Toms a fun listen. Would love to know what coach/program the Putnam coach was questioning about their recruiting practices?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

wow I must have missed it that Whaley is the starting center now. Can anyone confirm that or is this a casual fans thought?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Also think the way DH/staff handled Diarra's situation..Finding a way to integrate him back into the Program following his career-ending injuries so that he could complete his education and contribute to the team.. I thought he showed a great deal of loyalty/class/sensitivity towards MD and it ripples through the Program with the other players in a very positive way.. Well done DH/staff..
Agree 100%.

Reaction Score
wow I must have missed it that Whaley is the starting center now. Can anyone confirm that or is this a casual fans thought?

This was definitely just a casual fan thought. Whaley has earned the start until Sanogo or Carlton earns it. And if they DO, we are in a very good spot at the 5 for the first time in a long time.

Stats from the last 12 games of the 2020 season. I posted these a few months ago:

Whaley:
10.3 PPG
7.9 RPG
0.8 APG

1.4 TO
0.8 STL
2.5 BLK

53%FG (6.4 attempts)
78% FT (3.3 attempts)

27.5 Minutes per contest

Carlton:

5.9 PPG
5.7 RPG
0.8 APG

1.6 TO
0.4 STL
0.8 BLK

52% FG (5.1 attempts)
47% FT (1.3 attempts)

18.3 minutes per contest

In my opinion, the things that hurt Carlton the most were FT efficiency and turnovers. 3.5 TOs per 40 from your center is TERRIBLE. And 47% from the line is only acceptable if your name is Andre Drummond. I don't know if both were related to his conditioning and being too heavy, but if he can stop turning it over and get to the line more (and hit his shots when he's there), he will be starting center material for the NBE.

That being said, he's obviously playing catchup to Whaley right now. He blew Carlton out of the water the last half of the season, as the stats show. Those are legit starting center stats, and he was a defensive beast in some of those games. His athleticism and quick hands also perfect matches what Hurley and the assistants are trying to do with the defense: Blitz the screen, rely on the wings to help in the post, and recover ASAP. He doesn't rely on inefficient post ups to get his points--he's a roll man, hits the occasional jumper, and lives off of putbacks and dishes. Super low usage, and allows our guards to play their game with Whaley as a safety net to pass to when things go sour driving the ball.

Just my 2 cents. Chief knows more about big man skills, but I think I've learned enough from him on here to share.

C

Chief00

i think both Lamb and Rip have height/length on Bouk. He will more have to create his shot space vs. shooting over guys (Lamb) or running off of screens (Rip).

C

Chief00

Chief will say this. Despite all this narrative when Danny needs to find an open scholarship, he finds it somehow.

Reaction Score
i think both Lamb and Rip have height/length on Bouk. He will more have to create his shot space vs. shooting over guys (Lamb) or running off of screens (Rip).
I believe Rip was 6’7. Much taller then Bouk

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I will add the potential for a player having a lingering injury was one of the reasons I was and still am in favor Martin getting his waiver.
No need to intentionally sit someone out when they are able to contribute.

Reaction Score
Awesome interview below with some of Tom’s former players at Quinnipiac. Talks about things like the upcoming season, Bouknights NBA future, etc.

With that being said, he also mentions that they have four players either coming back from injury or about to have surgery (around 21:00 mark). We know two of them (Akok and Polley) which are obviously in the returning from injury bucket. We also know Andre has the knee issue but the hope was that it just needed rest and he would be back and would be in the “coming back from injury” bucket too. By my calculations this leaves one unknown who I’m assuming would be BA or Tyrese based on them not being in the practice vid from Tripp Doherty today (along with Andre).

Hopefully it’s just a misunderstanding in the video but I’m worried that one of those three guys is gonna be going in for surgery (maybe just a scope or something?). Feel free to tell me that I’m crazy but this is just based on context clues that we have.

He may have been the third choice at Worcester State, but look what hard work and determination did for him. Great lesson for all to embrace.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Love the way his facial expression changes when he mentions the AAC years around 7:40.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Coach Moore and Taliek helped facilitate the Husky Huddles concept..They are the link to the past who are on the current staff.. Maybe with a little nudge from JC.. Will pay dividends for DH and his players now and in the future.. Sounds like our BB alumni are benefiting as well..Program Building.. Looks like Tom is really enjoying himself at Storrs V.2

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
he deserves it and we played our best with him at center last season . But every season is different.
But that was with supersized Josh whose fat palms caused turnovers. #thinjosh is a whole different story.

Reaction Score
But that was with supersized Josh whose fat palms caused turnovers. #thinjosh is a whole different story.
I’m so ready for thin and nimble Josh Carlton.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom