great read about ollie by duffy | The Boneyard

great read about ollie by duffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
UConn is also banned from the 2013 postseason, stirring up the question, first for Calhoun and now Ollie, "How can you motivate them?" Early Friday afternoon, as Niels Giffey and Tyler Olander awaited their first team meeting with Ollie as head coach, they offered a new explanation.
"We play for our coach this season," Giffey said. "We play for him to keep that job."
Added Olander, "I think that's a problem with too many institutions now, they give up on coaches too quickly when it's really not that easy to take a program and bring it back to national prominence. I think they should be patient with coach Ollie because he is great and he's always headed towards excellence."

And so it begins. The one-year contract is going to be the theme of the season. I like it. Should be an interesting one.

Reaction Score
great quotes by Giffey and Olander, even with the ban this season has alot of meaning

Reaction Score
Obviously it wasn't his intention, but Olander's implication that we need someone to "bring [us] back to national prominence" plays right into the media perception that we're primed to fade into irrelevance (or already have to some degree).

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Obviously it wasn't his intention, but Olander's implication that we need someone to "bring [us] back to national prominence" plays right into the media perception that we're primed to fade into irrelevance (or already have to some degree).
No it doesn't. It means after a one year post season ban we will be back to national prominence immediately

Reaction Score
My questions about this whole situation are of the obvious. Kevin was picked over 4 coaches with head coaching experience. Karl thought he'd be next. Glen too. George is at the end of his career so this not so much. All were left hanging until being given one year contracts. The whole staff on a one year deal. This is not sitting well with any of them. Hopefully they will bond together and make mojo work.....Looks like we have been set up to falter. The cupboard is a little bare. Especially inside. Lets hope they all see the light and overcome.

Let's also hope Kevin can learn on the fly how to close on a recruit. This is learned not innate.

Reaction Score
All of them knew JC wanted KO to be his successor, they knew where they stood in the pecking order so I don't see why this would cause an issue. If they were unhappy with their situation they would've left long before this happened like LaFleur did.

My questions about this whole situation are of the obvious. Kevin was picked over 4 coaches with head coaching experience. Karl thought he'd be next. Glen too. George is at the end of his career so this not so much. All were left hanging until being given one year contracts. The whole staff on a one year deal. This is not sitting well with any of them. Hopefully they will bond together and make mojo work.....Looks like we have been set up to falter. The cupboard is a little bare. Especially inside. Lets hope they all see the light and overcome.

Let's also hope Kevin can learn on the fly how to close on a recruit. This is learned not innate.

Reaction Score

I don't think that Glen Miller and Karl Hobbs actually believed in their heart of hearts that they were legitimate candidates to become the next head coach at Uconn. The writing has been on the wall for at least the last year or so that Calhoun's successor was either going to be Kevin Ollie or a superstar outside hire. Besides, Hobbs is getting a promotion out of this deal anyway and could even get another one if we assume Blaney leaves after this year.

Reaction Score
Still human nature is at play here. Knowing or not they are ALL on ONE YEAR DEALS. This could be very volatile if not handled correctly.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I've always assumed that the assistant coaches (i.e. Miller and Hobbs) would have been looking to get another head coaching opportunity and would know that this would be outside of UConn. I would hope that JC would have talked with them about his preference for KO, but who knows. In any case, it would have had to become obvious over time with all of the press about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom