Great Postgame Read From Andy Katz | The Boneyard

Great Postgame Read From Andy Katz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Great read, thanks ACE!!!!

"I was very impressed," said Manuel, who couldn't stop smiling after the game. "It was an unbelievable debut as a head coach."

"It was fabulous," said Herbst. "Kevin has so much heart and integrity. He's so connected to these guys. They overcame a highly ranked team with big guys. It's going to be a great season."

Herbst has been a fan of Ollie for the past two years, singing his praises when the Huskies went to the White House after the 2011 national title. She has listened intently to Calhoun's praise of Ollie. But she has empowered Manuel to make the call.

Please WM, take care of the football program!!!!

Reaction Score
Let me just say that the humility and respect shown by both teams to the soldiers is just awesome.......or better.

As a veteran myself, I applaud beyond measure, watching young men pay very real homage to those warriors. I hate the aircraft carrier thing because it seems so out of place - physically - but I sure like the education it gives the ballplayers and administrations.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Tremendous read in just about every way. I guess that's what happens when there are lots of good things to report. Nice to see that happen for us again for a change.

Reaction Score
What I love is the fact everyone (and I mean everyone) has the greatest respect for KO. While JC was feared and admired for his basketball IQ you still had a "but" attached to any positive thing said about him as a coach.

KO is impossible to dislike- he is a great person and the new face of UCONN basketball will be someone that other teams/coaches will have to dig deep and most likely make some up if they are looking to bad mouth UCONN in the future.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
wow, love it

I think it's obvious both Warde & Susan were as impressed as we were

Reaction Score
What I love is the fact everyone (and I mean everyone) has the greatest respect for KO. While JC was feared and admired for his basketball IQ you still had a "but" attached to any positive thing said about him as a coach.

KO is impossible to dislike- he is a great person and the new face of UCONN basketball will be someone that other teams/coaches will have to dig deep and most likely make some up if they are looking to bad mouth UCONN in the future.

agreed. It's gonna be almost impossible for the media to bad mouth UConn and the only way opposing coaches can keep recruits from UConn is if we are so loaded with talent that recruits don't want to sit on the bench. KO plus one of, if not the best, practice facility in the country will be a deadly combination.

Reaction Score
This was the best Uconn basketball game I have watched in quite a while. To be the clear underdog, playing in Europe in the wee hours of the morning, with a brand new head coach and come away with a win was fantastic. For the last two minutes of the game, I was screaming my head off.

I think that any doubts that anyone had about KO have to be completely gone by now. Uconn is truly blessed to have him as their coach. One of the commentators said it best, "As good a coach as Kevin Ollie is, he is a better person".

"God is in control," said Ollie.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is the difference between JC and some of the other legend coaches when they retired. You can see JC is deeply moved by the win. JC is honestly happy for KO and the UConn program. A legend who hopes for failure following his retirement doesn't react this way.

Reaction Score
wow, love it

I think it's obvious both Warde & Susan were as impressed as we were

Then Manuel better get off his arse and put a 3 year deal on the table pronto !!

Because so far he has shown me nothing as an AD.
The guy had nothing to do with UCONN but now he is calling the shots-hamstringing our BBall team and letting HCPP drive the football program into the ground.

Wake me up when WM actually does something positive for us.

Reaction Score
This is the difference between JC and some of the other legend coaches when they retired. You can see JC is deeply moved by the win. JC is honestly happy for KO and the UConn program. A legend who hopes for failure following his retirement doesn't react this way.

Well, the difference is that JC sees KO as an extension as himself. How KO does reflects on JC.

I bet you he won't sound so gracious about it if we bring in an outsider.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Well, the difference is that JC sees KO as an extension as himself. How KO does reflects on JC.

I bet you he won't sound so gracious about it if we bring in an outsider.

Some validity to this. My gut tells me the major concern for JC about an outside hire would be over the loyalty that individual would have to the University of Connecticut. There certainly is some pride to have a person he coached follow in his footsteps. However when ESPN asked him about why he wanted KO, JC did point out that of all the alumni who are or were in the NBA, he felt KO most exemplified the qualities he felt would be necessary to take over the program. Was this hyperbole on his part because KO is in position. I doubt it. I think he wants UConn to always be considered a premier bb program the way people think of North Carolina, Kansas, Indiana and Kentucky. I get the impression the legacy of the program is the most important thing for JC. He demonstrated this when he turned down the huge contract that South Carolina offered two years after the first NC. If it was just about him he would have taken that job.

Reaction Score
This was the best Uconn basketball game I have watched in quite a while. To be the clear underdog, playing in Europe in the wee hours of the morning, with a brand new head coach and come away with a win was fantastic. For the last two minutes of the game, I was screaming my head off.

I think that any doubts that anyone had about KO have to be completely gone by now. Uconn is truly blessed to have him as their coach. One of the commentators said it best, "As good a coach as Kevin Ollie is, he is a better person".

"God is in control," said Ollie.
Agree wholeheartedly! I am a big Shaka Smart supporter in what he had done to get his guys to buy into his plan...I witnessed KO out Shaka Shaka. I admired KO as a player and a recrutier but his ability to rally a group of guys to a common purpose and win against all odds, and the way they did it, rivals 77-74 in my book. KO you are a credit to the University and the state...well done!

Love that JC was there to witness it...not in the spotlight but in total support! Can't be prouder of the effort and the win. The road ahead will be rocky I am sure but folks, we have a super star coach on the bench that deserves the security of a longer term deal. Not because of the win but in how they did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom