Great Players Win Championships | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Great Players Win Championships

Reaction Score
The player on the 2017/18 roster with the skillset to take over on offense in crunch time was Lou, but she wasnt quite there yet mentally. Perhaps next year.

Thereafter, I like CWs trajectory.

Reaction Score
My philosophy is that coaches put you in a position to win. But, when it comes down to crunch-time, the great players have to have the desire to step up & make the play. DT was the best at it. Maya also wanted the ball in pressure situations. The Stewart era teams were so good that I cant recall many pressure games even in the Tourney! But, BS, MJ seemed tough as nails when it really counted & was able to put teams away (vs letting them hang around). I think thats what's been missing the last 2 years - little emotion & desire from key individuals to carry the team to the finish line.

Its not to say that these players come through in the clutch every time. But, they are clutch more often than not & they learn from their experience. DT had a horrible SF game as a freshman, but then carried the team on her back her last 3 years. Maya was always in the middle of things & led the team to 2 titles. But, this team/players lost the same exact way as last year. Nothing was learned & no one stepped up as the leader. Thats what's depressing as a UConn fan.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44
Top Bottom