Great opening song riffs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Great opening song riffs

Reaction Score
Tough to compete with all the great classic rock openers. For those of us still in our 20s, I'd say Mr. Brightside by The Killers is ultra recognizable (and guaranteed to make everyone go crazy at the bar) and a pretty iconic opening riff.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Great example of why music in the 60s blew away every succeeding decade - most everything was new, and most of what wasn't actually new was repackaged brilliantly to make it seem new.

With all the talk about the opening chord to Hard Day's Night, this was the earlier Beatles tune that made everyone step back and go, "Whoa. Did they actually use feedback as the opening note?" I was 8 and at the time that note was the coolest thing I'd ever heard on the radio (a distant 2nd was Del Shannon's organ on "Runaway").

Game changer right up there with Dave Davies taking a screwdriver blade to his little green amp.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Talking opening riffs, you can put the Stones up against the field and compete for the win.

Can't speak to Motley Crue, but the decade from 64-73 for Stones is a top 3 decade for any band ever. All the mentions so far and tbomk nobody has even thrown out their best song opening all time: Gimme Shelter. That is the "Pulse uncut version of Comfortably Numb solo" of song openings, IMO - Taylor and Richards could've played that opening for 10 minutes and you'd still want more.

Reaction Score
All along the Watchtower... by so many folks. Dylan, backed by Tom Petty I think, has a good opening.

Reaction Score
These four helped shaped my musical preferences as a kid
Whole Lotta Love
Sunshine of Your Love
Purple Haze
Mississippi Queen
whole lotta love always gets me amped up when it comes on in the car. it's a staple on my summer drive playlist

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Particularly in Goodfellas...
"What Is Life"

The song/riff I equate with Goodfellas was Harry Nilsson's "Jump Into the Fire". I think I recall that one more than others because its riff and the anxious mood that song sets was perfect for the Liotta/helicopter sequence.

And Harrison... I know that late in his career he regretted using the full Wall of Sound on many of the ATMP songs, but man, Wah-Wah was just fantastic live at both the Concert for Bangladesh and Concert for George with all that cacaphony.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm trying to think of the last truly memorable guitar riff opening I remember, and I have to go back a lot of years, way back when Radiohead actually rocked a concert stage instead of putting me to sleep...

I've liked a bunch of songs since then but I don't recall any really memorable opening guitar riffs. I guess music has moved past that...

Reaction Score
I'm trying to think of the last truly memorable guitar riff opening I remember, and I have to go back a lot of years.

I've liked a bunch of songs since then but I don't recall any really memorable opening guitar riffs. I guess music has moved past that...

Moved past? Or, suffered a backslide?

Reaction Score
And Harrison... I know that late in his career he regretted using the full Wall of Sound on many of the ATMP songs, but man, Wah-Wah was just fantastic live at both the Concert for Bangladesh and Concert for George with all that cacaphony.
Loved that concert. Favorite moment was the Leon Russel sung verse in "Beware of Darkness".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom