Great NY Times article on Miss State & Morgan William | The Boneyard

Great NY Times article on Miss State & Morgan William

Reaction Score
I think Vic would have to be the solid front-runner for Naismith Coach of the Year if his team is still undefeated by the time voting takes place. The Bulldogs continue to get better on a weekly basis pretty much at a linear rate, most recently with his daughter and Holmes making strides to fortify a back court that, with William's struggles this year, was something of a weak spot until just recently.

I sure hope they end up on the other side of the draw, as I like our chances against them a lot better in a championship game than in another semi final.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If Miss St runs the table, they will be the overall 2 so we would hopefully meet in the NC game. They could probably lose a tough game like the SEC championship and still get that position since Baylor is in weak OOC purgatory.

Reaction Score
If Miss St runs the table, they will be the overall 2 so we would hopefully meet in the NC game. They could probably lose a tough game like the SEC championship and still get that position since Baylor is in weak OOC purgatory.
I fully agree. What I should have said is that I hope Baylor is on the other side of the draw. Sure would be helpful if we did not have to face more than one of those two teams!

Reaction Score
And they wonder why they are losing $ :rolleyes:;) I won't read it.
:) Times made record profits this year, thanks to the current political climate and to it finally starting to figure out its electronic platform. sorry....

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
And they wonder why they are losing $ :rolleyes:;) I won't read it.
Are you sure the reason isn't because, for once, someone beat you to an article on the Web? Rock-it's ok, you average 20 rebounds a game, someone else can get one now and then...way to box out in the paint, Bags! :rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Morgan William Is Still Chasing That Perfect Shot

I'm sure this will find critics here, but the important thing is that the Times wrote a long piece on an otherwise busy day (opening of the Olympics) on WCBB (equally impressive in the hardcopy).

Morgan William Is Still Chasing That Perfect Shot.......................that had a monumental effect on both team's immediate future.
IMO, THAT shot decided the national championship. As long as she lives, she will always be know as the player that scored the winning bucket that beat UConn, and ended their 111 game win streak, kinda like Bobby Thompson's claim to fame. Regardless of anything/everything else Thompson did his entire career, he's known and remembered for that 1 home run......... "The shot heard 'round the world". I read an article about her that used that phrase in reference to her buzzer beater. :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Are you sure the reason isn't because, for once, someone beat you to an article on the Web? Rock-it's ok, you average 20 rebounds a game, someone else can get one now and then...way to box out in the paint, Bags! :rolleyes:

@DefenseBB ... my laugh of the day. Thanks

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Last game William had 15 points on 6-7 shooting, 3-3 from deep. Slump might be over.

As someone else noted, Schaefer has to the the heavy front runner for NCOY. I don’t think anyone expected Mississippi State to be as good as they’ve been this year. I don’t know if they have any McDonald’s AA on their roster but they’re solidly the #2 team in the country right now. The only area he’s lacking is recruiting—I don’t think he’s ever landed a top 20 player. If he starts landing top 5 kids they could be a major threat for titles for years to come. He’s clearly in the upper echelon of coaches.

If he doesn’t win it, I’d give it to Walz #2, Geno #3 and McGraw #4.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
While her play has been under stated this year, it has not necessarily been bad overall.
Her Assist/TO rate is 4-1 and her FT shooting is still excellent. Yes her scoring is down and her % as well. However, when we get into the tournament, I suspect she will make some big shots when we need her too.
For now, she is still doing a great job running the point. Plus, we have a tremendous back up in Holmes (who would probably be starting anywhere else) so that has taken the pressure of her some as well.

Come Tournament Time she will be fine.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Last game William had 15 points on 6-7 shooting, 3-3 from deep. Slump might be over.

As someone else noted, Schaefer has to the the heavy front runner for NCOY. I don’t think anyone expected Mississippi State to be as good as they’ve been this year. I don’t know if they have any McDonald’s AA on their roster but they’re solidly the #2 team in the country right now. The only area he’s lacking is recruiting—I don’t think he’s ever landed a top 20 player. If he starts landing top 5 kids they could be a major threat for titles for years to come. He’s clearly in the upper echelon of coaches.

I don’t know if they have any McDonald’s AA on their roster - I don’t think he’s ever landed a top 20 player.
All the more reason for him to win NCOY. He's doing more with less. :cool:

Reaction Score

I think he deserves to win NCOY last year as he lead his team to end the longest winnin streak and helped Dawn/SC to win the national championship. This year he did a tad better than what he was expected ..

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I think he deserves to win NCOY last year as he lead his team to end the longest winnin streak and helped Dawn/SC to win the national championship. This year he did a tad better than what he was expected ..

Geno hands down deserved it last year. Schaefer did very well last year but his team is much better this year despite expectations that Mississippi State was not going to be as good this year. Mississippi State was streaky last season but put together a great 3 game run from the Sweet 16 to the title game. This year they are far more consistent and far more dominant. Everyone on the roster (besides maybe William) is much improved and the team results have been outstanding. They have a lot of kids who were not highly recruited beating loaded teams. This is a direct reflection of his outstanding coaching job.

Reaction Score
Morgan William Is Still Chasing That Perfect Shot

I'm sure this will find critics here, but the important thing is that the Times wrote a long piece on an otherwise busy day (opening of the Olympics) on WCBB (equally impressive in the hardcopy).
Thanks. Not a bad article. More significant that would even appear in the times.

Frankly, I think there is a good argument to be made that MS should be ranked number one. I love UConn and hope they go all the way. But if I am to be honest with myself, my money would be on MS if they meet in the tournament. All the stars are aligning, and I think the team realizes that this may very well be their year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Thanks. Not a bad article. More significant that would even appear in the times.

Frankly, I think there is a good argument to be made that MS should be ranked number one. I love UConn and hope they go all the way. But if I am to be honest with myself, my money would be on MS if they meet in the tournament. All the stars are aligning, and I think the team realizes that this may very well be their year.

I still think UCONN is the heavy favorite if they matchup, but I hope we get to see these two play in the tournament. I think if any team does have a good shot against the Huskies, it's Mississippi State.

Mississippi State mirrors a lot of what UCONN does in regards to how they play together on the court. They play tough team defense, guards/wings can beat you off the dribble, they stay out of foul trouble, they don't turn the ball over and have a dominant post player. They match up well with the Huskies--there isn't an individual matchup where it appears UCONN has a massive advantage, while Mississippi State may have an advantage with McCowan going up against Collier or Stevens. Other top teams like Notre Dame, South Carolina, and Louisville are all prone to "hero ball" by their best scorer. Mississippi State doesn't play hero ball. They're definitely the toughest matchup on paper for the Huskies.

On the flip side, I think Mississippi State is prone to losing before the title game. I could them Mississippi State having a hard time guarding Cox/Brown, or struggling to stop Notre Dame offensively. Or Wilson could go off on them in a rematch on a neutral court. Lots of capable teams this year. I think a Final Four of Baylor/UCONN and Mississippi State/Notre Dame would be outstanding to watch.

Reaction Score
While her play has been under stated this year, it has not necessarily been bad overall.
Her Assist/TO rate is 4-1 and her FT shooting is still excellent. Yes her scoring is down and her % as well. However, when we get into the tournament, I suspect she will make some big shots when we need her too.
For now, she is still doing a great job running the point. Plus, we have a tremendous back up in Holmes (who would probably be starting anywhere else) so that has taken the pressure of her some as well.

Come Tournament Time she will be fine.
Except Uconn!!!

Reaction Score
If they play each other this year. Uconn will not be over confident and play there c game! Uconn added players and will look to push the ball the whole game! Miss. State lost players that hurt the Huskies last year. The last time Uconn played like last year semi-final was Nov. 2014. Uconn by 25!

Reaction Score

]

I have posted since the season began that I don't want to meet Ms St in the NCAA's. Right now they are better than they were then. I believe them better than last April. McGowan ruined Uconn's day, William capped that. The weapons Ms St has are more experienced and it appears they have 4 qualified shooters, possibly more. Coach S uses his bench liberally so like last April come NCAA time he has bodies to relieve the starters.
\
Having said all that: If Uconn should play Ms St again and If Uconn can limit the fouls to 3 per starter, with Azura, Danger, add Walker along with the Core 4 Uconn's chances improve measurably from last April. Should Batouly be physically -game ready fit by then that could be all that is needed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom