Great News Napheesa, Katie-Lou & Gabby Naismith Finalist | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Great News Napheesa, Katie-Lou & Gabby Naismith Finalist

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Let me ask you a tough question......forgetting about how many years of eligibility, they have left, would you trade Turner for Napheesa Collier? To be fair, I've asked the same question of our SC friends regarding A'ja Wilson.

I haven't watched enough UConn to answer this properly. My first thought is that Collier is more of a stretch-4 and Turner plays center for ND, so given how ND is constructed I wouldn't make that trade. But looking at Collier's stats, she is outrebounding Turner and has a healthy amount of blocks, so maybe she could play a traditional center role.

Who would I want in the abstract (ie. if I was starting a team from scratch so roster construction is not a factor)? Probably Collier. And, I mean, I love Turner like a fat kid loves cake but Collier's all-court efficiency is irresistible.

Ask me again after the tournament ;)

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Plum can be slowed down.

Plum can be managed. If UCONN plays UW in the NCAA, all they need to do is pull the film of OSU vs UW, and Plum will be a non-factor vs UCONN athletes.

There's some leeway between managing/slowing Plum down and turning her into a non-factor. I'd be shocked if anyone turns her into a non-factor in any game this year. During her entire career she's failed to score in double figures only twice. That's impressive. Hasn't been held under 22 this season.

Reaction Score
I haven't watched enough UConn to answer this properly. My first thought is that Collier is more of a stretch-4 and Turner plays center for ND, so given how ND is constructed I wouldn't make that trade. But looking at Collier's stats, she is outrebounding Turner and has a healthy amount of blocks, so maybe she could play a traditional center role.

Who would I want in the abstract (ie. if I was starting a team from scratch so roster construction is not a factor)? Probably Collier. And, I mean, I love Turner like a fat kid loves cake but Collier's all-court efficiency is irresistible.

Ask me again after the tournament ;)

A very fair response............I've only seen Turner 5 or 6 times and she's had some pretty good games and some kind of average games.............Collier is a stretch 4 but the beautiful thing is she can pretty much play any position on the floor other then point guard...........I heard somewhere that she has grown almost two inches since high school which would put her at about 6'3" same as Turner I believe............in my admittedly biased opinion she's the best front court player in college basketball and I can't think of a player on another team that I would trade her for at any position for that matter.........but that's just me

Reaction Score
There's some leeway between managing/slowing Plum down and turning her into a non-factor. I'd be shocked if anyone turns her into a non-factor in any game this year. During her entire career she's failed to score in double figures only twice. That's impressive. Hasn't been held under 22 this season.
If Plum were to go 8 for 23, and commit multiple turnovers (as she did vs OSU), that would be my definition of non-factor for Plum in a game vs UCONN. If UCONN held Plum scoring in the 20's, then UCONN would win by 40+ against UW. OSU ended up only winning by 3, but that was more due to OSU's incompetence on the offensive side of the ball.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
THREE UConn players, while no other school has more than one. In a supposed down year for UConn!

As I tell my friend Eric, this year's team consists of a bunch of young players who didn't have the recognition of last year's Big 3. But by the time they leave, Kia, Gabby, Pheesa, and Lou will be icons more or less on a par with the Big 3.

Suppose that Saniya's class goes 154-1, and then Lou's and Napheesa's class beats that. And Pheesa, Lou, and Azura go 1-2-3 in the draft. Sound familiar?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I hope this does not mean that Phee's quiet reign of (POed) terror is over. ;)

Reaction Score
If Plum were to go 8 for 23, and commit multiple turnovers (as she did vs OSU), that would be my definition of non-factor for Plum in a game vs UCONN. If UCONN held Plum scoring in the 20's, then UCONN would win by 40+ against UW. OSU ended up only winning by 3, but that was more due to OSU's incompetence on the offensive side of the ball.
I adore Plum and her game. She's a fantastic face of WCBB this year. Very different in so many ways from Maya Moore, but similar in the sense of (rightly) commanding unending respect and affection from fans.

My question: how often does she go right? she seems overwhelmingly to play left-handed. Will she be overplayed at the next level to the extent that she won't be able to play her game?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Pheesa and Gabby are the two best players in wcbb, and KLS is only a smidgeon behind. imho

Z, I have it exactly reversed, by a whisker. It has to do with the floor Lou covers and the riddles (more) she poses, which is why she, more than any other Husky, gets the beat out of her every game. Frankly these chose one awards leave me cold. If our gals, rightly so, are AAs, give the damn MVP thing to Deshields for all I care.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I adore Plum and her game. She's a fantastic face of WCBB this year. Very different in so many ways from Maya Moore, but similar in the sense of (rightly) commanding unending respect and affection from fans.

My question: how often does she go right? she seems overwhelmingly to play left-handed. Will she be overplayed at the next level to the extent that she won't be able to play her game?

It's a good question. Next level the whole lefty confusion edge is gone, gone, gone.

Reaction Score

She can go right or left, forward, backward, spin, & great hesitation dribble move.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn's first time, new record, 3 players in Naismith semifinalist:

top10w.jpg

EVERYONE of these ladies will be in the WNBA in 2 years the (2019 season), and all of them will be coveted high first round draft picks.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
LO TRADER, I guess we have different definitions of non-factor. Shooting 8-23 is struggling but scoring 23 points is still significant. Also when a 27 point lead midway thru the 3rd quarter ends up being only a 3 point margin at the end of the game, you have to give at least some credit to the opposition. That was a humongous come back by UW in Corvallis. They looked dead in the water, yet at the end OSU was very fortunate to hang on. If the game lasted about another minute I think UW would've prevailed.

If UConn and UW played, UConn would most likely win by a significant margin. Plum could score 40 and UW could still get thumped. Or she could be held well under her scoring average. Final margin wouldn't necessarily tell you whether Plum was a non-factor or not, it would be more of a testament to the gap between UConn and UW as a team.

Reaction Score
LO TRADER, I guess we have different definitions of non-factor. Shooting 8-23 is struggling but scoring 23 points is still significant. Also when a 27 point lead midway thru the 3rd quarter ends up being only a 3 point margin at the end of the game, you have to give at least some credit to the opposition. That was a humongous come back by UW in Corvallis. They looked dead in the water, yet at the end OSU was very fortunate to hang on. If the game lasted about another minute I think UW would've prevailed.

If UConn and UW played, UConn would most likely win by a significant margin. Plum could score 40 and UW could still get thumped. Or she could be held well under her scoring average. Final margin wouldn't necessarily tell you whether Plum was a non-factor or not, it would be more of a testament to the gap between UConn and UW as a team.
I can't disagree with you that UW may have won this game had it gone one more minute (I attended this game). Plum still had 23 points, but Plum accounted for ALL 9 UW turnovers. Factor that into her overall play, and, you have to agree that in that game, her performance was less than stellar. But, as you pointed out, I think it was more a testament of OSU's team defense on top of Gabby Hanson's superb 1-1 defense that made Plum less than typical Kelsey Plum. Mind you, I think Kelsey Plum is one of top 5 players in NCAA. And no, I don't think anyone from OSU is in the top 5 (in case you were wondering).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
(I attended this game)

That must've been a really fun game to watch...until it wasn't, and then you had to sweat it out down the stretch. I was watching on TV. I was stunned by how bad OSU was beating UW, and then stunned at how completely the game flip flopped. I had to go back and look at the box score. Wiese had a game high 26, only 1 other Beaver in double figures (Orum w/ 12). Osahor and Plum both had 22 for UW, but Chantel was much more efficient (7-13 FG, 6-9 on 3's). McDonald was the only other Husky in double figures (11). OSU won the statistical battle on every front (more FG and 3 pt FG and higher % on both, big rebounding edge, more assists and fewer TO's) except FT (UW 15-22; OSU 9-16). Kind of a head scratcher how it ended up being as close as it was.

Reaction Score
That must've been a really fun game to watch...until it wasn't, and then you had to sweat it out down the stretch. I was watching on TV. I was stunned by how bad OSU was beating UW, and then stunned at how completely the game flip flopped. I had to go back and look at the box score. Wiese had a game high 26, only 1 other Beaver in double figures (Orum w/ 12). Osahor and Plum both had 22 for UW, but Chantel was much more efficient (7-13 FG, 6-9 on 3's). McDonald was the only other Husky in double figures (11). OSU won the statistical battle on every front (more FG and 3 pt FG and higher % on both, big rebounding edge, more assists and fewer TO's) except FT (UW 15-22; OSU 9-16). Kind of a head scratcher how it ended up being as close as it was.
UW may get their HOME game with OSU in the PAC-12 Tournament. That would be awesome, as I know UW want to prove to the NCAA that they are the better team. We'll see how this all plays out. Ultimately, I want last year in the NCAA Tournament not to be seen as a fluke that the PAC-12 had two teams in the Final 4. I am hoping we can do it again.

Reaction Score
How can Victoria Vivians be one of the ten best players in the country with a .384 FG% (.298 from 3). And a 0.8 A/TO ratio.

# Player GP-GS Min--Avg FG-FGA Pct 3FG-FGA Pct FT-FTA Pct Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
35 Victoria Vivians... 30-30 871 29.0 183-476 .384 53-178 .298 97-128 .758 24 109 133 4.4 61 1 43 54 9 48 516 17.2

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How can Victoria Vivians be one of the ten best players in the country with a .384 FG% (.298 from 3). And a 0.8 A/TO ratio.

# Player GP-GS Min--Avg FG-FGA Pct 3FG-FGA Pct FT-FTA Pct Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg
.....................................................................................................----..
35 Victoria Vivians... 30-30 871 29.0 183-476 .384 53-178 .298 97-128 .758 24 109 133 4.4 61 1 43 54 9 48 516 17.2
Good question. She plays on a top team and was one of the pre-season players to watch, but her actual numbers are not stellar.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

.....................................................................................................----..
She's not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom