Great movie endings.... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Great movie endings....

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Scream

Not knowing what it wanted to be (Teen comedy? Horror?) notwithstanding, I didn't see Billy and Stu ending up being co-killers.

Reaction Score
Thanks, Captain.

Part III was miscast (specifically Joe Mantegna and Sofia Coppola) and it drags in places, but don't make the mistake of thinking the story isn't phenomenal.

I wasn't really a fan of the 1st cousin love arc, but it doesn't work otherwise. The only other way it would is if Vincent was the love child of Tom Hagan and his Tahoe mistress (as mentioned in Part II). However, that takes the religious and biologic "danger" out of play because while Tom Hagan was "as much as son to [Vito] as [Sonny] or Mike," he was not blood related.
Sophia is so bad I can't re-watch it, I don't think I've seen it more than twice and it majorly ruined the movie the first time & is tough to get over. Compare that to the first two movies which I will watch anytime and have seen innumerous times, everyone regards as classics, constantly references/quotes so the disconnect is legit. Other than Pacino's great delivery of the 'just when I thought I was out line' the last movie is forgettable and the sad ending to The Godfather saga for most was when Sophia replaced Winona.

These are all opinions about movies, so no need to get pithy sailor.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Sophia is so bad I can't re-watch it, I don't think I've seen it more than twice and it majorly ruined the movie the first time & is tough to get over. Compare that to the first two movies which I will watch anytime and have seen innumerous times, everyone regards as classics, constantly references/quotes so the disconnect is legit. Other than Pacino's great delivery of the 'just when I thought I was out line' the last movie is forgettable and the sad ending to The Godfather saga for most was when Sophia replaced Winona.

These are all opinions about movies, so no need to get pithy sailor.

The "Captain" remark was in reference to Captain Obvious. Can't have a Part III without Parts I and II preceding it...

These are all opinions on movie endings. Coppola was not in the final scene and if you noticed, I did preface my post with, "...even for all of its faults..."

As I think of it, I find your opinion interesting. Part III's overriding theme throughout centered around the attempt to redeem the irredeemable. The ending was great, but could not make up for the preceding 2 1/2 hours.

Reaction Score
Many film oficionados consider the ending of "some like it hot," the best ever.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Thanks, Captain.

Part III was miscast (specifically Joe Mantegna and Sofia Coppola) and it drags in places, but don't make the mistake of thinking the story isn't phenomenal.

I wasn't really a fan of the 1st cousin love arc, but it doesn't work otherwise. The only other way it would is if Vincent was the love child of Tom Hagan and his Tahoe mistress (as mentioned in Part II). However, that takes the religious and biologic "danger" out of play because while Tom Hagan was "as much as son to [Vito] as [Sonny] or Mike," he was not blood related.

I was OK with Mantegna. He was the "Don", but he was really a B player and a puppet in the story, and Mantegna is fine in that role. I thought the story line was interesting, and the villains were excellent.

Reaction Score
The "Captain" remark was in reference to Captain Obvious. Can't have a Part III without Parts I and II preceding it...

These are all opinions on movie endings. Coppola was not in the final scene and if you noticed, I did preface my post with, "...even for all of its faults..."

As I think of it, I find your opinion interesting. Part III's overriding theme throughout centered around the attempt to redeem the irredeemable. The ending was great, but could not make up for the preceding 2 1/2 hours.
Yeah, to me so much of Pacino's actions in the movie were based on redeeming himself to his immediate family and especially his love for his daughter and she seemed unlovable & disinterested in the entire thing. It was almost like Sophia had been hearing from everyone about these movies her whole life and her frustration with that was on her face in every scene. On the bright side I think either this situation or the totality of the experience of being the daughter of the godfather of the The Godfather eventually molder her into a good director.

Reaction Score
Many film oficionados consider the ending of "some like it hot," the best ever.

A great ending to an excellent Billy Wilder film. As for other Billy Wilder movies, I would also throw in the endings to Double Indemnity and Sunset Boulevard, two other great films. Ready for your close up?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Tin Cup. An otherwise mediocre romcom is made memorable by an awesome ending. It was ridiculous, completely unrealistic, and hilarious.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Tin Cup. An otherwise mediocre romcom is made memorable by an awesome ending. It was ridiculous, completely unrealistic, and hilarious.
Love that movie, even though I'm not generally much of a Costner fan.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Love that movie, even though I'm not generally much of a Costner fan.

The scene where he snaps all his clubs but the 7 iron was very funny, and obviously foreshadowing the ending. I still didn't expect the meltdown at the end of the movie. The commentators were awesome.

Kevin Costner is excellent within a narrow range. Outside that range, he generally sucks.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The scene where he snaps all his clubs but the 7 iron was very funny, and obviously foreshadowing the ending. I still didn't expect the meltdown at the end of the movie. The commentators were awesome.

Kevin Costner is excellent within a narrow range. Outside that range, he generally sucks.
He was perfect for that role. I did expect the meltdown, but it still wrenches my gut each time, likely because I have too much tin cup in me--which is why I love the movie so much.

Costner did a decent job in a supporting role as the estranged father/husband in Molly's Game, but I was glad that he was only in a few scenes; they actually could have stood to cut a few other scenes from that movie, which ran about 15-20 minutes too long imo.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He was perfect for that role. I did expect the meltdown, but it still wrenches my gut each time, likely because I have too much tin cup in me--which is why I love the movie so much.

Costner did a decent job in a supporting role as the estranged father/husband in Molly's Game, but I was glad that he was only in a few scenes; they actually could have stood to cut a few other scenes from that movie, which ran about 15-20 minutes too long imo.

I think Don Johnson is a below average actor, but he was very good as the smarmy, successful boyfriend. Rene Russo is forgettable in most things she does. Not bad, not good, just kind of there, but was fine for that movie. Cheech Marin held things together a couple of times because if he blended too much with the entourage the movie would have no foundation.

I think a more intense actor would have not worked. If that movie had been made 10 years later, it would have been Matthew McConaghy in that role and I don't think it would have been as good.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If we are turning to sports movies...

As much as I dislike ND Football and as much poetic license taken by David Anspaugh, Rudy had great ending.

Also, given it was well documented and they could not really veer too far from reality, I loved Miracle.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought the ending of III was excellent too. The last 20 minutes were very tense and I had no idea how the movie would turn out. As great as the first two movies were, the endings were basically Michael deciding to kill everyone. If it was that easy, why didn't he just do it earlier? Godfather III is the quintessential "great movie ruined with terrible casting" because of Sofia Coppola. Replace her with any of the half dozen actresses considered for that role (Julia Roberts, Wynona Ryder, Madonna, etc.) and it would have been one of the great movies of the decade, if not all time.
I agree. When I finally got around to watching it I couldn't understand the hate. There was some good stuff there. Sofia was as bad as advertised, though.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Rene Russo is forgettable in most things she does. Not bad, not good, just kind of there, but was fine for that movie.
This and Get Shorty were her peak, and I always enjoyed her screen time in both.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think Don Johnson is a below average actor, but he was very good as the smarmy, successful boyfriend. Rene Russo is forgettable in most things she does. Not bad, not good, just kind of there, but was fine for that movie. Cheech Marin held things together a couple of times because if he blended too much with the entourage the movie would have no foundation.

I think a more intense actor would have not worked. If that movie had been made 10 years later, it would have been Matthew McConaghy in that role and I don't think it would have been as good.

My issue with Don Johnson in that role is a problem shared by most sports movies. His swing was not that of a guy who could compete for a tour championship. Costner excels at athletic roles because he's believable.

One of my favorite scenes in the movie is the betting scene at the charity tourney. You know that stuff goes on. Stadler handled it well. Wish they gave Phil more of a part there as we all know he's a ridiculous gambler.

EDIT: Turns out DJ's handicap is three strokes better than Costner's. Must have a great short game.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
She was sexy as hell in "The Thomas Crown Affair".
Never saw that; not a big Brosnan fan in Bond or similar roles. Thought he was great in Mrs. Doubtfire though.

But yeah, back to Renee, she had a certain je ne sais quoi back then; can't recall the last time I saw her in a more recent movie though.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She was sexy as hell in "The Thomas Crown Affair".

She looked good in "Major League." That had to be one of her earliest appearances.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom