Great. Juuuuust Great. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Great. Juuuuust Great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The ACC seemed to want to stay at 12 so its possible they picked up cuse and pitt with the expectation that fsu and vt? Would leave for the sec
If that happens Pitt and Cuse would have traded a very good bb conference for another very good bb conference but taken a significant drop in football. Baseball and some other sports would upgrade, but if football is the driver of these changes, they would have made a mistake. And so would UConn if they join the ACC. And maybe UConn gets lucky and FSU and Clemson/VT bolt to the ACC before the Uconn invite, allowing UConn to decide on which football conference they want to be in.

Reaction Score
The only thing worse than conference realingments is the rampant speculation, insiders claiming to-know-it-all and worry-warts. All made even more ridiculous by the fact that its impact is 2-3 years down the pike. Why on earth basketball fans would freak out about UConn's 2013-14 schedule is beyond me. Wake me not when its over, but when an actual realignment effects an upcoming game. Basketball is a sport, they can realign the conferences to kingdom come, but as long as we end up with players on the court dribbling a ball and a 10' hoop I'm good.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The only thing worse than conference realingments is the rampant speculation, insiders claiming to-know-it-all and worry-warts. All made even more ridiculous by the fact that its impact is 2-3 years down the pike. Why on earth basketball fans would freak out about UConn's 2013-14 schedule is beyond me. Wake me not when its over, but when an actual realignment effects an upcoming game. Basketball is a sport, they can realign the conferences to kingdom come, but as long as we end up with players on the court dribbling a ball and a 10' hoop I'm good.
Not a bad attitude. Where UConn lands and what configuration it ends up with could have an impact on future recruiting. Players want to be showcased and that is more likely to take place in a strong and competitive bb conference. There is no difference in examining what are UConn's future conference affiliations vs. UConn's chances with x or y recruit and what that player offers for the upcoming season. But I don't blame anyone who prefers waiting for the dust to settle about UConns future any more than people who choose to wait until the season is well under way before making their minds up about players.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
ACC is the same conference that thinks BC brings the Boston Market and Syracuse is New York City's college football team. So the answer is YES!

Don't really follow how that is responsive to my question. Several layers of generalization in your post. You're generalizing what they thought/think those schools bring to the table, and conflating the decision on who to invite with the decision on when to do it.

P.s. Anyone who brings Boston Market around is invited to my conference. Great mac & cheese.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
yeah, it's beginning to look like the ACC jumped the gun. While it's obvious that they would have eventually gone for Pitt and the Cuse it may have been more prudent to wait for both the ACC and the two schools.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
yeah, it's beginning to look like the ACC jumped the gun. While it's obvious that they would have eventually gone for Pitt and the Cuse it may have been more prudent to wait for both the ACC and the two schools.
They're the only ones that didn't jump the gun... they took the two Big East schools they perceived to have the most value before the Big 10 got around to it. They were also trying to poke Notre Dame with a big stick... it also protects them from Clemson, VT, or FSU leaving. Really the western expension, other than some pipe dream about Texas, effects them not at all... and A&M and Missouri joining the SEC improves the ACCs position... it doesn't weaken it.

Nothing has really changed... everyone is still just in a waiting game to see what Texas does. The PAC12 basically said go away until you dump the LHN. Everyone can afford to wait... and the Big East has no choice but to wait... I mean sure... we can add Navy or ECU or Houston... but there's no practical impact... unless Texas decides to drag this out for 5 or 6 years and WVU and Louisville sign up for that...

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, Uconn probably doesn't go anywhere until there is even slotting in the ACC. Meaning, the ACC will wait out whomever they're paired up with to make that move and keep it even and call it quits on all this garbage going on. Unless they are raided by the SEC. Based on what we're seeing with members like FSU, at least one of those last slots will be held out for some football strength(not Rutgers). So I don't think the ACC committs to Uconn until more dominoes fall unfortunately and the news of the last few days is not encouraging to that happening soon. I was really hoping more jockeying would play out.

The more I think about Rutgers, the less appealing I think they really are. Their athletics program is bottom barrel. The ONLY thing they have going for them is market - and are they really in the consciousness of NYC? They have proximity/geography to NYC and nothing else. If they had anything going for them, I think the ACC might pull the trigger sooner rather than later, but why pull a booger off the wall unless you absolutely have to. Might as well fish for gold(ND, Texas).

So unless some value is seen in a powerplay on the NYC market, Uconn may be sitting still for awhile. They have no leverage. I think the NYC market with Rutgers/Uconn is a bit overdone, or else ACC would have gone that route before Cuse/Pitt. So pergatory it is in the near future - I think they'll be fine in the long run, it's just that the short run could suck.

Reaction Score
yeah, it's beginning to look like the ACC jumped the gun. While it's obvious that they would have eventually gone for Pitt and the Cuse it may have been more prudent to wait for both the ACC and the two schools.[/quote]
"....beginning to look like the ACC jumped the gun"

Can see how it may appear that way but they managed grab 2 outstanding programs from the BE. Additional expansion may be over for the time being and the ACC has 2 potential slots available for the future. Rumors are that Notre Dame would prefer the ACC over the Big 10 and the ACC would take Notre Dame in a heartbeat. This could work in Uconn'sfavor since the ACC would likely take a 16th team to balance out the divisions. And then of course there is Texas who could change everything.
The more you think about this the crazier it gets and I don't think anyone including conference heads can accurately predict what is going to happen.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Good news!

With the awful teams sure to be added, Jim Calhoun is going to FLYYYYYYYYYY by Boeheim on the wins list!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The ACC seemed to want to stay at 12 so its possible they picked up cuse and pitt with the expectation that fsu and vt? Would leave for the sec

I really doubt it, considering they just put through (with FSU & VT's acquiescence) a new $20M exit fee. Yeah, that may pale in comparison to a long-term profit that may come from jumping ship, but it's not peanuts, and you'd think that someone would have balked if they were planning on bolting.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Good news!

With the awful teams sure to be added, Jim Calhoun is going to FLYYYYYYYYYY by Boeheim on the wins list!
Ummm, have you seen the bottom half of the ACC? I'm not quite sure about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom