Great JC article: 2023 Final Four: The making of a UConn scoring machine | The Boneyard

Great JC article: 2023 Final Four: The making of a UConn scoring machine

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
One of the only exceptions to Calhoun’s arm’s-length approach involves sophomore Jordan Hawkins

"I keep telling him that he’s gotta believe," Calhoun said during an interview with FOX Sports. "I keep telling him, ‘The day you believe you can’t miss — or if it’s maybe the air conditioning, or it could be something changed with the basket (that stopped the ball from going in) — that’s the only way you won’t shoot a beautiful shot.’"

His crack about a jumper veering off target because of an HVAC system is a callback to something Calhoun would say to former UConn guard Rashad Anderson

Anderson could find an excuse for every missed shot, Calhoun said, from the slightest bump by a defender to the atmospheric pressure changes of a New England winter. And Calhoun remembers chiding him with quips like, "You think it’s the bl---ing air conditioning?"

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Great read, good info on screening. Fun stories on practicing screens under JC.

Rip's oldest Duece looks like he's already around 6'2" and he's only 15. Parker's 12 and looks to be around 5'6". Not sure how much either plays, but given the genes, there should always be a spot in Storrs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
This is a fascinating anecdote:

Beginning in the mid-2000s, LaFleur said Calhoun and his coaching staff studied data from the NBA to draw connections between the contracts players received and the habits or stats they demonstrated to earn those kinds of deals. The end result was an equation of sorts that linked things like rebounding, blocked shots and effort plays — which included an ability and willingness to set effective screens — with specific dollar amounts players could expect to earn. Calhoun wanted his power forwards and centers to know that eschewing scoring for the good of the team wouldn't compromise their earning power.

Reaction Score
Miami doesn’t stand a chance if hawk is on time and on target. They suck at guarding screens.

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
"If I told them the truth that the girls love the leading scorer, I always thought they’d try harder." Truth bomb. Teaching young men to work hard and be successful, the goodies will follow.

Another enrollment gem:
"Beginning in the mid-2000s, LaFleur said Calhoun and his coaching staff studied data from the NBA to draw connections between the contracts players received and the habits or stats they demonstrated to earn those kinds of deals. The end result was an equation of sorts that linked things like rebounding, blocked shots and effort plays — which included an ability and willingness to set effective screens — with specific dollar amounts players could expect to earn. Calhoun wanted his power forwards and centers to know that eschewing scoring for the good of the team wouldn't compromise their earning power."

Big ups to Micheal Coen. Dude can write.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The best part about this season is seeing all these UConn legends come back to pour into this team on this run.

This is truly a program effort and I’m not sure how many other programs in the country operate like this.

80 minutes!!

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
The best part about this season is seeing all these UConn legends come back to pour into this team on this run.

This is truly a program effort and I’m not sure how many other programs in the country operate like this.

80 minutes!!
This is what KO broke.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I don't think Miami crowds shooters on the perimeter. If Hawkins is fine - and I believe he will be tomorrow - the Hurricanes should have a bit of a nightmare trying to stay with shooters with length like Karaban, Hawkins and Alleyne outside while guarding the paint enough to harass Sanogo, Clingan and Jackson. And Newton has been shooting 3's with confidence lately too.

Reaction Score
I don't think Miami crowds shooters on the perimeter. If Hawkins is fine - and I believe he will be tomorrow - the Hurricanes should have a bit of a nightmare trying to stay with shooters with length like Karaban, Hawkins and Alleyne outside while guarding the paint enough to harass Sanogo, Clingan and Jackson. And Newton has been shooting 3's with confidence lately too.
Bless you.
It's so close yet so far and we can all find the bogeymen but your formula gives me hope and some confidence!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Doom---35.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom