"Great Expectations" & Lou's game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"Great Expectations" & Lou's game

Reaction Score
Lou is essentially a guard-rarely does this position get many offensive rebounds since normally shooting from key or further out. Could she get 1-2 more a game-sure, but would not make a material difference in total scheme. She is taking a beating going through the lane. With Kia, she gets a lot of passes on cuts and scores a large % of her points on 10 foot shots. For some reason, Danger doesn't get her the ball, particularly when in set offense.
KLS IS A guard?? Except for filling out a player chart for the game--she plays multiple positions ---I think defining KLS is near impossible.

Reaction Score
But now to important stuff! How do YOU pronounce Sammuelson? Some announcers say"Sam-u-el-son" while others say "Sam-yule-son" (I choose the second option)

Reaction Score
Sonny44, let's see you do what these young women are doing. It's easy to sit back and criticize when you've never had to experience it. When you can do what they do, then your criticism is valid. Until then, I'm not buying it.

Reaction Score
Lou is essentially a guard-rarely does this position get many offensive rebounds since normally shooting from key or further out. Could she get 1-2 more a game-sure, but would not make a material difference in total scheme. She is taking a beating going through the lane. With Kia, she gets a lot of passes on cuts and scores a large % of her points on 10 foot shots. For some reason, Danger doesn't get her the ball, particularly when in set offense.
I remember Jefferson got close to 8 rebounds in a critical game. If my memory serves me, most were offensive and a big key to the game. Sure, UConn has a few very good outside shooters. When it's time to win games against great teams, everybody has to crash the boards. On some of the lesser AAC teams, you can go out and practice your shot.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
While most of what you write is essentially true and not disputable--you damaged my opportunity to partake of my favorite indoor sport (that will show you how old I am) nit-picking. But as an expert in that field I can always find a nit to pick.

Katie Lou Samuelson--shall get extremely better in all aspect of the WBB game--have no doubt. To day as she stand there recovering from abuse after abuse, physical and mental--she is a premiere WBB College player with few peers. To think she can get better -opens the mind to mind boggling basketball yet to come.
Many many players before they came to Connecticut were hyped by the media and a bit by Geno and too many never lived up to the hype--recently some have been identified on the BY---nuff sez. When one arrives with bands playing in my head as I read the media expectation before they put on a uniform--I'm not a believer--- Katie Lou Samuelson this year has proven to be all the hyped up media could say --and then some by miles and miles---she has been the SAVIOR in a number of games--her performances have been suggested to be akin to that of the highly vaunted and respected Diana T. (I like Samuelson-because i can spell it).
So no more about her lackings, failures, expectation--let us accept Katie Lou Samuelson as the best Basketball player of all the Samuelsons--including mom and Dad..
Go back and read your first post in the Collier Literally Saved Us thread. You denied she save the game by herself yet in this thread you say KLS has been the SAVIOR in a number of games. Would the team have won those games without the contributions of other players? Your favoritism is showing.

Reaction Score
As a person prone to hyperbole, in my Savior comment--I really had in mind the Maryland Game where KLS took on the persona of Dt and put the team on her back and attacked Maryland in multiple ways.
It is obvious to any one who watches WBB and Uconn WBB in particular that RARELY does any single player WIN a game by themselves--it goes back to the lament by Geno that if he could get DT to pass the ball inbound to herself and make a pick for herself and then pass to her self to score---he'd be happy.
Collier--as I have since November said--is a unique talent and fabulous player--her percentage in scoring is amazing--almost like Gabby's rebounding and scoring against players 6 inches or more taller.
Uconn even in the days of DT was not a single player team--nor have any of Uconn or Geno's 979 or so wins been accomplished by ONE single player--Uconn is a TEAM and plays as a TEAM. If I suggest something else--I was miss speaking (note, I learn from the best).

Reaction Score
When Lou's on, it's poetry in motion. When she's off, we analyze. Do you remember Fall, 2015, when Lou was too nervous to shoot well and some BYers actually argued (from watching the 5 minute clips on YouTube) that her shooting motion had changed since high school?

It would be interesting to track the shooting over a year or even 3 or 4 years of other great college shooters and see if they don't have the highs and lows that Lou's exhibited. I bet they do.

Sure, she's tired: it's a long season and an exceptionally emotional one. But sometimes you actually shoot better when you're tired. And sometimes you shoot better when you're wired. If she lights it up tomorrow night, we'll rationalize it by saying she's now rested or something....

Reaction Score
But now to important stuff! How do YOU pronounce Sammuelson? Some announcers say"Sam-u-el-son" while others say "Sam-yule-son" (I choose the second option)
The only correct way ---is the way the family says it---My last name is pronounce 4 different ways--and I pronounce it different than my immediate family--and Canadian's pronounce it even more differently. So I go with FAMILY---but without that --I pronounce it as you do.

Reaction Score
When Lou's on, it's poetry in motion. When she's off, we analyze. Do you remember Fall, 2015, when Lou was too nervous to shoot well and some BYers actually argued (from watching the 5 minute clips on YouTube) that her shooting motion had changed since high school?

It would be interesting to track the shooting over a year or even 3 or 4 years of other great college shooters and see if they don't have the highs and lows that Lou's exhibited. I bet they do.

Sure, she's tired: it's a long season and an exceptionally emotional one. But sometimes you actually shoot better when you're tired. And sometimes you shoot better when you're wired. If she lights it up tomorrow night, we'll rationalize it by saying she's now rested or something....

As some one who has been a people watcher and viewer of traits, habits, humanism; I'm prone to say humans adapt, change, modify sometimes without realizing that they change. So I shouldn't think you'd not find changes to shooting styles, procedures, mannerism of even pro's if only minute.
Another of your better posting--and better than great is hard to do.

Reaction Score
I remember Jefferson got close to 8 rebounds in a critical game. If my memory serves me, most were offensive and a big key to the game. Sure, UConn has a few very good outside shooters. When it's time to win games against great teams, everybody has to crash the boards. On some of the lesser AAC teams, you can go out and practice your shot.
Ricky-we are in agreement that Lou and everyone need to rebound more. My point was that Lou needs to get the ball when open cutting or near basket. Would lead to more points, rebounds, etc. When Kia is not playing, this seems not to happen. When Lou or anyone take the long jump shot, they typically become responsible for stopping the fast break.

Reaction Score
Nice!

Role models:
1. Big sister
2. Mother
3. Brother
4. Father
5. Katie Lou Samuelson

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nice!

Role models:
1. Big sister
2. Mother
3. Brother
4. Father
5. Katie Lou Samuelson
Other than the fact that I don't have an older sister, Jayda's role models are pretty much the same as mine. Right now I'm working hard to model my jumper on Lou's ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom